1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello, 6th Pick!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 17, 2023.

1. a time to chill

Let's just be happy that there's a legit chance we can improve upon last year's win total and finish the season with about 22-23 wins rather than 20 or less. Progress!

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Me. As I just stated elsewhere - you never know how other teams feel. There may be some teams that consider it a top 4 draft. If so, I want the option to trade down with the 4th. Losing options does not benefit us in any way shape or form. We've suffered entirely too much this season (and the past two seasons) to screw it up now.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The top 4 odds are the same for the bottom 3 teams.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, winning doesn't help this team whatsoever.

5. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Oh, come on! Platitudes? Green is one of the worst defensive players in the L and one of the softest. There is tons of data to support that.

On the shot-creation, well he's been featured a lot. He's not bad at it, but not that great. Jabari has not been featured, and if he was he would have been bad. However, once his shot accuracy gets up, he would be a better option than Green, IMO: much simpler, no-frills, but he will be able to get his shot against anyone with his length and high release. Green has to dance for separation and he's OK, but not great.

7. conquistador#11

Unless it's Wemby, I don't think he should be given the start automatically. He has to earn it and beat out the starter. Harden was taken 3rd and he never complained.

NewAge likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Really what I'm referring to is that if you're the worst team you cannot fall below 5th. I don't want to get the 6th or the 7th and have options taken off the table after these three miserable seasons. We're too close to being done to start being stupid now. Fire Silas if he's trying to save his job.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Again such stupid takes. Expecting a player who has a worse scoring efficiency at 25% unassisted rate to somehow improve to be a better primary scoring option than someone who scores more efficiently on 60% of their makes being unassisted as long as they "shoot better" is absurd.

You have to do more than be able to shoot over someone sometimes. Again, even in Green's rookie year he was more efficient on significantly higher self creation stats.

Can Jabari go to the line 8 times if his outside shot isn't falling? Kid is averaging more turnovers than assists.

Like come on dude. Be reasonable. Because Jabari speaks in a manner you like more doesn't mean he's going to be a primary option like Green.

10. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You ignoring that this season Jabari really doesn’t have high turnover games - most of his turnovers is when he was trying to learn to put ball in floor and drive to basket - his passing is underrated and he doesn’t get the ball enough really to have assist numbers

He’s only had 9 games with 3 or more turnovers ( 1 5 TO game and 1 4 TO game the rest were 3)

11. fchowd0311

And the fact you are saying he has more turnovers than assists because he puts the ball in the floor when I'm fighting a claim from another poster that Jabari is going to be a better primary option than Green exemplifies how wrong that poster's premise is.

Primary scorers put the ball down on the floor. If putting the ball down on the floor means you are going to have more turnovers than assists, tells me that isn't a primary go to scorer. That's okay. He doesn't need to be to be part of a future contending core.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

make it make sense bro

people like OP are clearly just miserable and their sole purpose is to b*tch and cry

gfab-babyboi and anthony59237 like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It all depends on perspective i guess.

Missing out on wemby and getting a 7th pick is a big fk u after having to watchin sht games for a good 80% of the season.

Losing games is also worth it if it also means we are getting rid of silas.

This situation of us winning really reminds me of Lovie smith winning pointless games to screw over the Texans. Silas probably trying to actually win to get an extension.

Him potentially getting an extension = running it back with kpj as pg.

Wins are nice if u arent a fan of tanks, so i can see why some folks are triggered to see folks complaining about wins.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

It isn't the same for a couple of reasons:

1. The Rockets actually have long term core pieces that need to experience some winning. The Texans are kinda were the Rockets were right after trading Harden and having a lot of over the hill vets and sucking. The Texans haven't acquired their high level talent from the draft yet.

2. The NFL doesn't have a lottery. If the Rockets knew winning or losing a couple of more games will 100% cost us or give us the first pick, then ya lose all the remaining games. But that's not the NBA. All the probabilities for the top 3 picks is the exact same for the worst three teams. So what you really care about here and are willing to have our current young players have more bad development for is like 5%-10% differences between like a 6th and 7th pick.

I simply don't see the opportunity cost where it's worthwhile for our young guys to experience more losing for the rest of the season. Let the young guys end the season with a good positive taste in their mouths that can be carried into their off-season training.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keeping Silas for extended time in itself is a big loss and a waste of everyone's time.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If we fall out of the top 3, just get Jerry West drunk and ask him who he would pick.

Nook likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Man, I really do hope we get Jarace Walker if we don't end up with Wemby, Scoot, or maybe Amen Thompson.

I really think he can be our Draymond Green/Dennis Rodman/Lamar Odom type of player alongside Jalen & Jabari. (Not direct comps, just examples of elite "glue guys" who are essential to winning a title.)

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The odds of all the top 4 spots remain unchanged regardless. I really cannot comprehend how people have this much energy about falling from 5 to 6, or a small chance at 7.

If this were the last game of the season and a win for sure dropped you multiple spots then yeah, lose at all costs. I'm all for a good tank, but you tank for a top of the draft franchise changer, and our odds are as good as they're gonna get for that. Lose at all costs for a percentage change from 5 to 7, f**k that.

#78 sealclubber1016, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    OremLK, gfab-babyboi and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

But missing him and getting the 5th pick will be a cause for celebration?

If the Rockets keep Porter and Silas because of a good stretch late in the season then the franchise is hopeless dog s**t and never has a chance of being good, regardless of what we do these last 12 games.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Remaining strength of schedule as of Mar 18th 2023. Remaining games and calculates the combined winning percentage for all those opponents

Highest number means more easy schedule.
    1. Utah
    2. Philly

3. San Antonio
    4. Denver
    5. Indiana
    6. Phoenix
    7. Toronto

8. Orlando
    9. Chicago
    10. Boston
    11. Washington

12. Rockets