1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] If the Rockets don't get a top 3 pick, they're definitely trading it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pretty bold prediction today from his mailbag:

They would be aggressive in trading down if the pick is outside the top 3. Three years into a rebuild with a boatload of incoming cap space, this team wants to flip the page sooner rather than later. If they’re not getting their hands on Wembanyama, Henderson or even Miller, especially after a difficult season, that pick is as good as gone.
    https://theathletic.com/4318522/2023/03/17/rockets-nba-draft-board/

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Interesting. Depending on who we get, I may be in favor of this. I’ve said consistently there is a massive drop-off after 3.

tycoonchip and Y2JT like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i mean, not if they can’t get fair value for the pick. look at Portland last year. They were the most likely team to trade out of their pick. They didn’t want to use that draft pick. They are in a win now window with Dame and badly wanted to convert that pick into another win now weapon. The trade offers weren’t there, so they drafted Shaden Sharpe, who looks like he’ll end up being really good.

you don’t just dump a top 5 pick cause u are pivoting to winning. The trade value has to be there. So it all depends really. I doubt it’s as black and white as Iko says.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Back to flipping the page, getting on the same page.

5. SamFisher

This seems like Harden news.

Seems to me like the Rockets are WAY more likely to trade pick 4-8 if they end up with Harden rather than get a developmental 19 year old unlikely to play much next year

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden himself would cut into the minutes of the young guards unless there are trades for Christopher, Tate, KPJ.....

And which veterans he brings with him.

This is the Way.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trade pick 4 or lower together with KPJ for a solid veteran like Tyus Jones and a future pick.

Jontro likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If Harden comes, we won't need more guards, we will need more bigs. With KPJ, Harden, Green, TyTy and JC we're good. Our front court is lacking size. Jabari, Tari, Garuba, and Sengun....there's no size, outside of Jabari

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How about this — sign Harden, trade for Mikal Bridges.

Harden / Green / Bridges / Smith / Sengun

Does the cap work?

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

ok then for Myles Turner

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

“This team needs a strong defensive presence in the middle (think Myles Turner, Brook Lopez). It needs smart defensive-minded wings (think Dillon Brooks, Cam Johnson, O.G. Anunoby). The Rockets need shooting help and they need a point guard (Mike Conley, Fred VanVleet or hello, James Harden).”

The key to any above is what a team values today: that player or his $$$ to acquire a different player(s). Except for Harden, of course. And if he did return, not this year he won’t, but if he did then Philly would want an S&T for ability to sign a replacement, so they might have to tender an asset to the Rox.

12. SamFisher

No size and literally nobody over 6-6 who can jump up in the air and catch a ball.

But, If Harden signs expect members of the class of 21 and 22 and/or Tate or Martin to be gone in trades to the extent they have value.

Like, it would be a full revamp, not just "add James to the kids"

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think this would be stupid. It's a deep draft and there are a number of players outside the top 3 who have high ceilings, potential "best player on a contending team" type ceilings. The Thompson twins and Cam Whitmore jump to mind. There are also some high-floor guys who don't quite have the offensive potential to be superstars, but could still be in multiple all-star games if they maximize, like Jarace Walker and Brandon Miller (as much as I personally dislike Miller). Maybe a couple others around that level too. Anthony Black?

The more I've looked into it, the more I see this as at least a 7-8 player deep draft. It's an excellent draft class. If anything, we should be looking to trade assets to move the Clippers pick into the top 10ish and take the best guy that falls to us there. Potential to come out with two players who would be in the top 3 in most drafts.

Rolliepollie and xaos like this.
  14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Trading the #4 pick for Tyus Jones?!

That’s crazy.

If you trade the #4 or #5 pick in a strong draft it’s in a deal for an All-Star level player or a really good player + late lottery pick. Not for the 25th best PG in the league who’ll be a UFA next summer.

Something like #4 + Tate + KPJ for Siakam. Or #4 + KPJ for Wendell Carter + #9, if Orlando gets Wemby.

Hui, Arnel, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  15. PWR

PWR Member

I hope they take it a step further...

If we don't get the #1 pick (Wemby), trade it. The Scoot kid can't shoot and the Alabama kid comes with baggage.

Package it with the Clippers pick and another first rounder, then call the Nets and the Raptors to see about Mikal Bridges or Pascal Siakam.

BamBam likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interested in who they want at #3.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

as they should... our roster is inundated with young potential... we gotta start consolidating some of these assets... we need to turn 4 quarters into a dollar...

and no, i'm not counting on harden's return - lol... that narcissistic sob is just using us as leverage to squeeze an extra year or two of max $ outta Morey... Someone is gonna give Hard-on like a 5 year max deal or something stupid - and regret it for years to come... i know homeboy is just waiting to get that last fat contract secured - then he's gonna pull the ripcord... mark my words...

Arnel, Asian Sensation, furyn and 2 others like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I haven't seen any Overtime Elite games so I've never even seen the Thompson twins play. After Brandon Miller there doesn't seem to be anyone in college bball with star potential. I'd be open to trading the pick if it's outside top 3.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I would not trade #4 for Tyrus Jones...that's LUDICROUS. Nor will I trade KPJ, he's 6'6", 22yrs old, and just now coming into his own. PGs are like QBs you got to give them time.

Once Green become more consistent, I love our backcourt. I just think they need a quality backup PG and to build up the frontcourt. They need more length

don grahamleone and HD729 like this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you trade let’s say the # 5 plus the LAC pick plus the BKN picks and added guys like Tate, KMJ, KPJ, Garuba, Jaygup you could easily make the strongest offer for whichever disgruntled stars are available.

Trae Young, KAT, LaVine, etc.

Harden, Green, LaVine, Smith and Sengun is a top team in the West.