1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your current Rockets Top 5 Draft Big board?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Mar 15, 2023.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

1. Wemby
    2. Scoot
    3. Miller
    4. Trade
    5. Trade

2. Moahst

Moahst Member

1. Wemby
    2. J. Walker
    3. Miller
    4. Scoot

At the start of the season I thought Scoot Henderson was clearly the right move, but the more I watch him play the more red flags I see. The last thing we need is another guard who's only concern is getting his own shot.

groovemachine likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Rondo shot 28% in college. Giddey 29% in Australia. Amen is at 25% in the OTE. 30% more recently in the playoffs. Expect his PR department to start putting out videos of him nailing 3 after 3 in practice. As it pertains to upside, every player has warts. You can magnify them to paint whatever picture you want. Victor has a history of injuries and is a bad shooter. Scoot also isnt a great shooter and is short. Amen is a bad shooter. Miller is a great shooter but doesn't project as anything more than serviceable defender and his release point is low. Also isn't a great shot creator.

The Miller vs Amen debate is valid. What do you value more? A 3 and D-ish wing or an electric pass first playmaker with a busted shot? As always....it's a gamble.

Corrosion, xaos and OremLK like this.
  4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

He’s untouchable right now. I wish people would stop doing Bridges trade proposals.

It’s not like we just need to create the big enough package of draft picks and then they’ll sell him to us — Brooklyn’s plan right now just isn’t trading him, and it isn’t trading for their picks back. They’re not doing it under the current regime there.

It’s not in their GM’s interests to make himself look bad by trading major value to correct his own mistake, and their organization does not believe in bottoming out through the draft (since they rebuilt last time without picks).

If there is a GM change it could happen, until then it won’t.

5. PWR

PWR Member

1. Wemby
    2. Package it to trade for Mikal Bridges or Pascal Siakam.
    3. Package it to trade for Mikal Bridges or Pascal Siakam.
    4. Package it to trade for Mikal Bridges or Pascal Siakam.
    5. Package it to trade for Mikal Bridges or Pascal Siakam.

DaDakota and J.R. like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm not as certain as you. They rebuilt without picks, but they also saw the consequences of rebuilding without picks. Boston is what Brooklyn could have been.

Let me ask you this -- let's say we land at #2, and Harden resigns. You're saying the Nets wouldn't entertain a trade package that includes Scoot Henderson? If the answer is "maybe," then he's not "untouchable."

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Except trading Scoot Henderson for Mikal Bridges would be too big of a risk for any GM to take. If you do that and Scoot ends up winning multiple MVPs, which scouts think he is potentially capable of, you're fired.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade #2 pick for Bridges, either. But I do think the Nets would entertain such an offer, which means he's not completely "untouchable."

By the way, I could totally see Tilman intervening if we don't land the #1 pick. You're telling me you couldn't envision Tilman giving Stone and edict to pair Harden with another star if we're not landing Wemby?

#68 Houston77, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Would be another nail in the "Tilman is a sh***y owner" coffin. We're almost there in terms of having enough prospects to develop into a dynasty like the Astros, and we have an opportunity to pick top 5 in a historically strong draft class, and our owner throws that away for a team that makes the playoffs for a couple years, fails to win the title, then falls into mediocrity?

Well, it's Tilman so yeah, unfortunately I can totally see that happening.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well Miller is off to a rough start in the tourney. I can see why he gets the PG13 comps, but he's no where near as athletic. Young PG was also very elite defensively, like 2 way Pippen level for b2b years in his early 20s, but clearly been selective since with a focus on O-a lot like we saw with t-mac who PG13 modeled his game after.
    I don't see that elite level for Miller at any point. Very good help defender may be all we need him to be if we're weak at the 1 and 2 defensively.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not sure you are correct on that. Of course, that will be the narrative. Bridges isn’t a superstar and all the Nets’ picks and our 23 pick would allow them to tank properly.

xaos likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, the Paul George comps are silly. He's nowhere near the athlete or defender. Danny Granger is a better comp if you're high on Miller. I could easily see him being pre-knee injury Chandler Parsons in the NBA though.

apollo33 and Caesar like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm starting to feel like it's Wemby or Scoot or trade down for multiple late lottery guys like Dick, C. Wallace, etc that i listed in my top 5-for fit and added defense. We need 3 and D. We need size. We need guys who know their roles and then we need roster consistency=chemistry and let them grow together.

OremLK likes this.
  14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

To be clear, I think they *should* trade Bridges for picks. I also think if they got a new GM or their owner makes a specific decision to plot a new course, then they would be very open to trading Bridges.

But as it stands right now, Sean Marks is not going to trade him for any offer in which Bridges is the best asset in the deal.

It’s not in the current strategic plan of the Nets, they aren’t tanking as it stands. Teams don’t just flip from competing to tanking because someone added a pick to a trade offer for their star player so now they can’t say no.

Especially the Nets, where the GM and fanbase pride themselves on building without needing high picks, and where the GM would basically be throwing himself under the bus and ensuring the never gets another top job if he trades his best player just for his own picks back.

Look at Bobby Marks, their GM when they made the Boston trade and lost their picks before. Never worked in the league again. Only way for Sean Marks to avoid that embarrassment is to grit his teeth and try to be a competitive team the next 3-4 seasons.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Siakam sucks

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

1. Wemby
    2. Scoot
    3. Amen
    4. Jarace
    5. Miller

OremLK likes this.
  17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Trade it for Mikael Bridges or Dejounte Murray if it isn't Wemby

18. TheBeastSystem

1. vw
    2. trade down
    3. trade down
    4. trade down
    5. trade down
    6. black/dick

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

OTE is not college and esp not Austrailia. Its a joke league filled with high schoolers and the funding comes from commercial sponsors and tiktok revenue. The goal isnt to win its to develop the most viral tiktoks vids so they can afford the limo rides and whatever BS gimmicks they do.

I wouldnt be so bothered if Amen was putting these nos in NCAA and esp NBL cuz you know these prospects are young and raw and they up against more polished and older opponents. But in OTE Ausar and Amen are oldest and most developed player like they are 20 some of their opponents are 16 or 17. Shooting 28% vs defenders who come up to their chest in heights thats what in the NBA? 20%? 15%? Lol. Lots of players would look electric if you bring them back vs high school I mean Nick Young probably score 40 a night in OTE.

I could be wrong and Amen can end up the best player in the class. But I'd rather not take that chance when Brandon Miller, Walker, Whitmore or even Anthony Black also have that same chance and also have higher floors. Hell I even take Ausar over Amen at this point at least his shot looks better and he is a carbon copy of his bro.

How much hate and how bad did Jabari look when he was messing up his 3s? Amen gonna be 3x worse in the NBA cuz Jabari at least has confidence and was an elite 3 pt shooter in college. Amen gonna be Ben Simmons Redux

#79 roslolian, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    Corrosion likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have you actually watched tape of these guys? Because some of the stuff you're saying has me pretty convinced you haven't. Their defenders don't come up to their chests, haha. Average player height in OTE is shorter than the NBA, of course, but appears to be pretty comparable to college ball.

The truth is, we don't really know for certain what the level of competition actually is in that league. It hasn't been around long enough and we don't have enough data to compare. It's probably worse than division I NCAA basketball. But how much worse, we truly don't know. Most players in that league are also over 18, FYI.

In any case, nobody is picking the Thompson twins based on their stats. It's all about scouting with these guys. Will be interesting to see them at the combine and see how their athleticism really compares when measured objectively.