1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Putin has a much better chance of winning the war if DeSantis becomes POTUS. He's going to invest a significant amount of resources in trying to interfere with the 2024 election for any candidate who sides with him.

astros123 likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Everyone should care more about voting for a candidate that represents them than voting for who they think will win an election. That's one of the few things Trump voters got right. They didn't care that everyone thought Trump was a clown that didn't belong as a candidate for dog catcher let alone President of the United States. They voted for their guy and he won against Hillary, who everyone was saying had a 99% chance of winning. I vote for people who have no chance of winning every time.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

Hilary was just objectively an awful person and a bad candidate with an awful history. Obama put his entire capital and ego into Hillary and he got smacked. After the 2016 election biden told Obama that trump was his fault. I doubt Obama will ever forget or forgive himself cuz he stood Hillary up and forced biden not to run.

Biden or bernie beats trump in 2016.

Lol then you wonder why the suburbs are trending blue

#7105 astros123, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I would expect nothing less from a trump lawyer, she does not hide her homophobic views at all, personally I would rather more gop right wingers say what they really think and not beat around the bush so we know exactly who they are and what they stand for. trump can sure pick em :rolleyes:

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Beating around the bush is the go to right wing tactic. In fact there is an entire term for eight wingers not expressing their sincere views because they know it wouldn't be well recieved. It's called "hiding their power level".

This is why I go through a specific line of questioning to force them to express their sincere views. It involves asking them about what the reasons the modern white family has 1000% more wealth than the modern black family and then seeing them try to respond without explicitly saying "black people are lazier". It's funny and sad at the same time when seeing them try to answer this question especially when they know the intent of the question and are trying everything in their power to answer "because black culture" without trying to portray themselves as racist.

Racists hate being labeled racists and fascists hate being labeled fascists.

mdrowe00 and ROCKSS like this.
  8. Xopher

Xopher Member

You are right about the specific line of questioning. I had a conversation with a guy a work with the other day. With both grew up in a 99% white lower middle class area with pockets of poor whites. We were talking about how we approached people who told us they grew up just as poor and as disadvantaged as a lot of black people, but they made it and are now successful, etc. He told me about how he pointed out the advantages they did have. I countered telling him that never works. I have tried it. The only thing I have ever seen work is to agree with them, but then add "Yes. You had it bad, I agree with you. You overcame. You have become successful. However, you never had anyone actively discriminating against you and trying to hold you back."

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The way I would frame it is this(I'm addressing your friend so keep that in mind with the pronouns I use):

Yes there are many documented instances of bright individuals overcoming their poverty conditions to be extremely successful. You see it in refugee communities and you see it in Black communities.

What you are completely ignoring is the "middle". The average person. See when one race of people have 10x more wealth per median household that means a lot more children of those households that have a lot more escape parachutes if they fail let's say academically. Maybe their dad knows a hr manager at Raytheon that can get him a decent gig that can maintain a decent middle class lifestyle. The average person is very susceptible to their environmental conditions. So if there is a group of people born into a lot more wealth, the odds of more of the average people in that class "slipping through the cracks" and "failing upwards" as they say happens a lot more in a more wealthy community.

It is very important to acknowledge that the vast majority of Asian migrants that came her came through merit based immigration which means we select usually the wealthiest groups of people from those Asian and African nations. Hence why Nigerian immigrants have the highest rate of PhD degrees out of any other ethnicity in America. It's because we selectively filter.

So yes there are a lot more White and Asian kids in America "failing upward" or "slipping through the cracks". That's why these harrowing stories of individuals escaping poverty as proof that anyone can do it and "therefore black people are disproportionately lazy" narratives are silly. They don't according for this basic aspect of civilization. The "middle". The middle in a more wealthy community has more ways to fail upwards. That same middle in a poor community have less parachutes to fail upward.

AleksandarN, mdrowe00 and Xopher like this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Well articulated. To put it more succinctly the greatest indicator of the future success of a child is the socioeconomic status of their parents.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191218153459.htm

It matters much more than talent or ambition as you noted because of the failing upwards backstopping of their parents. Child struggling in math? Wealthy parent gets tutor. Child goes off the rails with drugs and mental health wealthy parent steps in with intervention. Child has no ambition wealthy parent provides a roof and job opportunities via their own business or professional network.

Xopher and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. Xopher

Xopher Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My friend and I were discussing what happens when we have conversations with the type of people we grew up with. He tries to show them all the advantages they did/do have, like you mention in your post. I on the other hand don't even try that. I just say what I say in my post above. You have made excellent points though.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. Xopher

Xopher Member

I agree. My conversation was more about those lower middle class or poor whites who say "I grew up with nothing and I made it!"

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd call it more 'conceding' than 'siding.'

astros123 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LMAO @ this Trump loving fool. Trump has committed crimes his whole life. He's as crooked as they come.
    MTG is begging for Putin to throw her a bone too.

mdrowe00 and astros123 like this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Biden for sure. I was very disappointed in him for not running in '16, especially when the slate of candidates on both sides was so bad. He should be on the backside of his 2nd term and trumpy should be nothing but a footnote.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

You do know that Obama forced him out right? Go read the book by him called promise me dad. Biden was planning on announcing but Obama guilt tripped him by telling him he wasn't "emotionally ready" cuz his son just died. Obama is such a elite prick. If it wasn't for him interfering in 2016 primary I have no doubt biden wouldve beaten trump. Obama used bidens grief and sorrow and turned it against him.

Ron klain who was biden chief of staff said recently that biden still has feelings about how Obama treated him. Obama thought because biden didn't graduate from an ivy league law school he wasn't "presidential material."

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was still Biden's choice and almost no chance Obama comes out publicly against his own VP.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Trump campaign thinks having "catturd" is a political asset. Having basso favorite Twitter account doesn't mean moderates will like you LOL

You have to be ****ing kidding me lmaooooo

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The crime happened in the prosecutor’s city. Running away to Florida doesn’t mean he can’t be prosecuted for his crimes in NY. It’s a sad day for our country when a member of the House of Representative only represents one man, The Cult Leader, Donald Trump.

astros123 likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member