1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

you 2 low iq dumb is trashing 20 years old talent

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

he is 6'11" in every web site , nba.com wiki , tbf.com . google
    why you dumb haters always say he is 6'9"??
    where is 0'2" ?? inside you ??

bmelo, HardenReturns and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

Just realized @eurobasket23 is probably rocketchampsdad. I knew that bum would make another account lol

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

yes just like sengun
    slaam
    and 1
    and 1
    you dont want me stop btching, just say it

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

good to hear the news. I am not watching the games and nobody mentions Silas praised Sengun and no drop coverage, hope they keep it that way until I restart watching next week.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can't find it right now but this has all been quantified. You have to take into consideration a lot of factors. For example, most blocks are near the basket and a very high percentage (IIRC 70%) of those shots are otherwise going in. You are instantly making major impact on a game with a block. For rebounds you're talking about all things going right could be a 4-pt swing but in reality that's far from the return you're getting.

A single rebound is the least linked boxscore stat to winning going back to when data was collected. Of course if you're averaging 14, it matters. However to show you an example of rebounds not mattering: look at Kenneth Faried an excellent rebounder who could not even make it in the NBA. Andre Drummond is another example. This happens all the time. We tend to keep players who can finish+assist or finish+defense or finish+shoot but players who can only finish and rebound (no defense) can not make it in the NBA.

All stats are important but steals and rebounds have yielded the least benefit of all the boxscore stats in NBA history.

8. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

That's very interesting. I'd say a steal would be valuable because, ongoing vs. definitive. A block is not a definitive stop (50% chance the ball ends up with the wrong team) while a steal is.

Rebound stats may be deceiving; a player can collect many uncontested rebounds if the ball just bounces his way or his teammates defer to him (Ben Wallace, sometimes). That's why I don't really find inflated rebound numbers reassuring. (Carlos Boozer e.g.?) Maybe that's why some "finish & rebound" guys may be overrated.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Couldn't stay away from his daughter I guess...

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

An opportunity to go over these stats:

Steals: steals are great because your opponent does not score and you get an opportunity to score a quick basket before the defense settles. But what do you give up to steal the ball? How often do you foul, how often do you get punished because you caused some defensive vulnerability because you tried to steal the ball? Not easily measured.

rebounds: I think the least important of the three are defensive rebounds. Almost all defensive rebounds are team rebounds, meaning they could be grabbed by an average player in that position or somebody else would have grabbed it if you had not. So the Raw numbers do not reflect much. Here you stand out more by bad play, not boxing out or not positioning yourself correctly. Offensive rebounds are meaningful more for a center as they are not the first to run back in transition defense. So I think Sengun is a good rebounder based on that. For guards you need to check the flip side of the coin. How many transition points do you give up to chase offensive rebounds?

blocks: you mentioned you might not pick up the ball(unlike a rebound) but that is a wrong comparison. A block is about shooting, you force the opponent to a zero percent shot. Picking up the ball is the equivalent of grabbing a rebound. You may not grab the rebound for a missed shot as well. A good blocker also forces the opponent take tougher shots, so opponent fg% is maybe better to look at or the opponent may choose not to take the shot(not easy to measure but huge impact)

I think with all three, the raw numbers are good indicators but you have to watch actual games and look at other stats to have a good assessment. Two players with similar raw stats can have have very different impact.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BEAUTIFUL!

eurobasket23 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

explains the dumb attraction to the dumb list. Couldn’t remember which SOF was which

maj21 likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not to be mistaken with the Team of Hatred!

[​IMG]

maj21 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, suddenly a few more things (that I didn't want to know) start to make sense.

J.R. and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

You're overthinking.

Steals: I was not talking about the risks, but about the results of making a defensive play here.
    Rebounds: I concur, but here again you go too deep into chasing rebounds, not actually grabbing them.
    Blocks: Yet again... I wasn't talking about the threat of a block, but a made block with ambiguous potential results. Frequently a block is no more than a deflection where the defense gets to touch the ball.

But why stop there?
    Maybe a good shot blocker forces chuckers and ball hogs to opt for more efficient plays.
    Maybe a swat to the stands gives the opponent a chance to execute a better play.
    If we dig that deep, we'll never climb back out.

My point of view stands: Any feat directly getting you the possession and a chance to convert is valuable.
    (Uncontested defensive rebounds: Meh.)

1- Assists - 100% conversion.
    2- Steals, offensive rebounds and contested defensive rebounds - 100% possession.
    3- Uncontested defensive rebounds - same but meh.
    4- Blocks - possession not guaranteed.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not getting drawn into any of this **** anymore. But Alp is taller than Jabari, maybe they’re both not 6’11.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

No way he’s taller. Jabari is 6’10” and Sengun is 6’9” shave his head bald and you will see Jabari is definitely taller

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, he’s taller than Bari.

19. maj21

maj21 Member

There’s no way in hell. That’s crazy man lol

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No it’s not. Open your eyes lol
    Alp hair isn’t 2 inches tall lol it’s not even a half inch tall. He is very clearly taller than Bari