1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I thought Tesla didn't do advertisements.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

They don't, the car (and reviews) sell itself.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Haven't kept up with this thread or tried to dive into research but how are the model 3's holding up after 80k+ and 100k+ miles?

ramotadab likes this.
  4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Here's a pretty neat video of a Chinese video creator crashing a Model Y vs the Arcfox Alpha-T in a 50% offset head-on collision. The video goes into detail of the aftermath of the crash as well as test dummy results. The video is in Chinese.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV16Y4y1y7Rb/

Both vehicles are mid-size SUV of very similar size and weight.

TLDR of the video is that both vehicle did really well in the test. The Arcfox's dummy fared a tiny bit better in chest deflection, but both were great. Both got full scores in head and lower body dummy results. The Model Y had in general more deformation in the front end, the drivers side door, and battery pack. The Arcfox in general had thicker and more rigid structural members.

The Tesla Model Y had slight battery pack deformation and coolant line break, but the crash did not cause any thermal runaway. The Arcfox's battery pack was undamaged.

Both did well. Both would've fared better than the Honda CRV and Chevy Equinox tested in a previous video.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm at 45k on mine and other than some dings no issues. The battery has degraded about 10% but seems to have stabilized.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That seems like a lot for just 45k. Most of the reports I've read in the past say about a 10-12% degradation at around 100k.

ramotadab, Deckard and Sajan like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Probably overuse of fast chargers?

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

From my experience posting on Tesla forums and such, 10% is normal after a year. It's not linear, as the degradation tapers off significantly after 1 year.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Most of the degradation occurs in its early stage.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I've been considering getting a Chevy Bolt EUV as my first EV. I've read reviews and it seems to be well reviewed, for the most part. Anyone have experience with that vehicle (or other Chevy EVs) in this thread?

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I know it's not linear, but I always read Tesla claimed they lose about 10% after 200,000 miles and some of the people on the Tesla forums were stating they had lost 10% after 100,000 miles. Who knows - maybe it's normal and you won't lose much more for however long you drive it.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I have the older PHEV version (the Volt) but I've driven the Bolt several times. If you're fine with a smaller car, the Bolt is actually fantastic value relative to its cost. Its a great first EV that won't break the bank and the engineering is really quite good. Also, personally speaking, I like that GM designed it like a normal vehicle. The infotainment, heating/cooling buttons, etc.. are all designed like normal cars.

You're not getting a luxury car by any means but relative to its price, its still the best value you can get when it comes to EVs right now. The only downside is that it is a pretty small car so you have to be ok with that.

ramotadab, RunninRaven and Sajan like this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

I almost got one back in 2020/2021 when they were handing them out. I think someone on another forum got a lease for like 125 a month!
    Shoot, I don't mind having one at that price. then the fires....and now you can't get one that cheap

ramotadab likes this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback. That's pretty much what I saw. I don't mind the smaller car. We have other standard gas vehicles that are larger if we need that space. The value is what I like most about it. I could never see myself spending what I would have to spend to get even the lower cost Tesla's, but I do have interest in getting an EV, so the Bolt seemed to make sense. Hopefully it is reliable.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

VW announced the ID.2 concept yesterday, slated for a 2025 release.

It's a small hatchback around the size as a Golf with a target starting price of €25,000.

A lot can change between now and 2025, but the released target specs are really good.
    - 280 mile range target
    - 20 minutes to charge from 10%-80%
    - 222hp with less than 7sec 0-100kph.
    - Smaller externally than the Golf, but more interior space.

https://insideevs.com/news/657415/volkswagen-id2-all-concept-previews-the-peoples-electric-car/

ramotadab, superfob and Sajan like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Good.

18. Buck Turgidson

Does it come in the 30 year old white girl Jetta model? It will auto drive her to brunch and then to shopping for the CUTEST dress she's EVER seen at Anthropologie or wherever. Then you'll go look at throw pillows (because they're just right over there) and maybe a duvet cover, because you can't have too many of either. And the Container Store is right there! 2 hours later the car then says "I'm sorry, it's already 5 o'clock and I have to get ready for work tomorrow."

ramotadab and Sajan like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

best car for houston roads.

ramotadab and dmoneybangbang like this.