1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

KPJ is now averaging almost 19/6/6 and his TS% has shot up to over .55. Anyone who thinks we are better without him is clearly blind.

#5361 Houston77, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I agree. I'm a strong believer Harden is coming back this summer to be closer
    to family.

Harden(PG)
    Green (SG)

let KPj compete with
    KMj, Tate, Bari, Tari--
    (Drafted?) Amen, Brandon Miller, Whitmore, Ausar
    (FA) Cam Johnson
    (Traded For) Makil Bridges

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I agree. I'm a strong believer Harden is coming back this summer to be closer
    to family.

Harden(PG)
    Green (SG)

let KPj compete with [ at SF] :

KMj, Tate, Bari, Tari-- (if not traded)
    (Drafted?) Amen, Brandon Miller, Whitmore, Ausar
    (FA?) Cam Johnson
    (Traded For?) Mikal Bridges

#5363 Jatman20, Mar 16, 2023
    riko likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Seems like KPJ is best when he doesn't have the ball very much. When he's moving himself and the ball - and not over dribbling - he can be good on offense. He still has some head-scratching decisions and ugly turnovers, but for the most part it's good. When he decides that he's actually 2019 Harden, it's an absolute **** show. So hopefully he'll do more of the former and less of the latter as his career progresses.

On defense, he's just bad. He had a few possessions of good one on one defense last year that have some people thinking he's some great defender, but for the most part he's been legit bad. Of course, everyone on our team has been bad defensively, so I can't get too mad at him for it.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Meh, he'll have some good games here and there, talent on the floor isn't his problem.

Franchise will be better without the brat.

AroundTheWorld and Mathloom like this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

That’s what we’ve been preaching all along, that he plays more off-ball. But every time KPJ has a good game, his stans can’t wait to come here to gloat, as if he found a new formula for success.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Very few people have said we would be better off without KPJ. Now, what I have said and have seen most people say is that we are better off not having KPJ as our primary playmaker which has been true. When KPJ got injured, despite having the likes of Nix replace him, our offense actually improved. Now, our D took a huge hit, but again, that's because we want from KPJ to Nix.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny how otherwise intelligent Rockets fans turn into complete morons when it comes to KPJ....some just have an irrational hatred towards the kid personally and they can't see past that cognitive bias.

He's been one of the most consistently good players on the team this season. Since Christmas he's been averaging over 40% from 3 with just under 60% TS% and has a nearly 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.....and yet still every time he leads the team to a win we get the same people actively being upset about it.

At this point it's just flat out absurd.

Plowman and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

Link to a stat that shows our offense is better without KPJ?

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It was posted in either this one or one of the Sengun ones. I am sure you can find it if you searched for it.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, you don’t have it? Figures..

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Why would I waste time searching for something about a player I don’t care much for? I wouldn’t even do it for Green or Bari or Sengun. I told you it was posted and if you want to see it you can go find it.

EDIT: I actually found it, but won't link it myself as I want you to search for it. I will give you a hint though; it's in this thread.

#5372 chenjy9, Mar 16, 2023
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

It is really hard to watch him play basketball. Sometimes he looks solid, but the next play he will dribble and dribble, forget the shot clock, fail to notice open shooters, then lose the ball out of bounds as the shot clock expires. Dude must have severe ADHD or something.

anthony59237 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

it's not complicated, KPJ has talent to play basketball it just he doesn't have the mentality or skillset to b an actual point guard.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's the thing KPJ doesn't understand either. We're not talking about better for the advanced efficiency rating. We're talking about better for the franchise, roster, future.

For the future of this franchise, a good offense is one where Jabari/Sengun/Green take almost all the shots and the majority of KPJ's shots come from when his defender is not taking him seriously. That's it. The rest of the time he plays defense and moves the ball quickly.

The RIGHT game from KPJ would look more like 10-15 efficient points, 5 assists, 2 TO's, constant effort off the ball offensively and defensively. Doesn't show up in the box score or in the highlights unfortunately. That would be worth investing $15-20m per season for us and being given minutes in a playoff-chasing atmosphere.

Scoring 25 on avg efficiency, not playing defense and having a asst/to rate lower than 2 to 1 is not worth $10m to us. Teams can get that for half that price. You can sign someone from Europe to do that. Grabbing 2 more rebounds than your peers doesn't make up for that.

It's not a miracle every Rockets fan, analyst, NBA fan can see it. The way he plays sucks. It's that simple. He doesn't even believe in himself. Who the hell hooks themselves to an eternally team option contract? I've never seen someone value themselves so low. If he believed in himself to be this guy who makes respectable offenses better, then he would have walked. He's staying cause he knows there's no coddling available elsewhere, but that's all going to change.

He's going to struggle next season dude. If you genuinely like the player, I'm telling you I'm the most optimistic guy about ALL our prospects, but it's not going good for this guy at all. The kid has an ego related mental issue and this team is artificially feeding his ego, it's not good for him. They're telling him he's a star when they know full well he is the tank commander. They used his holding on to the ball till late in the clock to generate losses. That's why they decided on Nix as his backup, the offense was undercut from the start.

He needs to be on an established, winning team now. Here he's hurting the Rockets core and the Rockets are hurting him. It's a bad marriage. I know he can be a good player in several years, but it's not going to happen here if you ask me. If I were his agent, I'd be trying to shake some sense into the kid.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Since Christmas his numbers are 18.3 PTS (59.4 TS%) 5.8 REB 6.5 AST (2.3 TOV) 46.8 FG% 40.2 3P%

It's going HORRIBLY for him....LOL

Seriously I don't know where this irrational nonsense comes for, but it can't be healthy. Of all of our prospects, he's been the most consistently good.....and yet we hear this type of BS all the time from a vocal minority of Rockets fans who don't like him personally.

Jatman20 and Plowman like this.
  17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Nonsense. He’s 22, not 32. And the “Rockets’ media” has been suspiciously quiet since his return.

I love the shifting narratives. “He’s terrible!” “He’s inefficient!” “He’s just not a PG!” And now that he’s developing a rapport with Sengun and shooting better, it’s “He’s really good, he just should be on a good team!”

Jatman20 likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Look at it this way

We have fans wanting to trade green for lamelo so kpj b slot back to his natural position
    We have fans wanting harden to come back to replace kpj at pg
    We have folks try to spin it that KPJ was supposed to b a combo guard and that the pg position is more fluid.

Yet we still have kpj stans try to push that kpj is doing just fine at the pg position. KPJ isn't a pg no matter how much u type that nonsense.

KPJ has talent but it aint being utilized properly by forcing him to play pg.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

And we have fans who want Sengun at point-forward and, somehow, don’t seem to realize that the best way to accomplish this is to have a guy like KPJ running “traditional” point.

20. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I wonder if there were any Monta Ellis super fans when he was with the Warriors, demanding Curry to be traded when he was struggling a bit, to pair Ellis with another star. KPJ kinda reminds me of Ellis a bit, with some folks genuinely wanting to trade/bench Jalen Green in favor of KPJ. GS Warriors made the right decision, hopefully Houston does too.

AroundTheWorld likes this.