1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yikes.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would say that he is maybe 4-5 years away from that. I'm betting it would be a very exciting 5 years.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

When Carter left the scene of a severe accident where people he knew were involved, that was a pretty good indicator of what type of person he is. No matter how talented, call me skeptical he'll ever reach his potential. He's young and perhaps he has an epiphany, but he's went from potential #1 or at least Top 5 pick to who knows where he slips.

A team like Philly with strong vets and a former GA teammate could gamble on him at #10. That is probably the right kind of situation to turn him around, but he's going to have to get his sh_t together soon. Whoever his agent is needs to get off his ass. As tempting as he could be at #12, I'd have to pass. Coach Ryans is looking for people who want to be great, JC doesn't seem to want that.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Exactly, this is the most important job interview he will ever have, and he comes in 9 lbs heavier than the combine and can't even finish his drills......and on top of that didn't participate in other drills. Major red flags........this young man is going to drop come draft day. You had one friggin job man, be in shape and ready to roll today SMH

primtim24 likes this.
  6. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

First, I haven’t seen a photo in a sleeveless shirt so I don’t know. Second, the discussion was never about taking punishment but the fact that someone of Young’s measurable could be successful in the NFL. I pointed out, factually, that someone with his measurable has been very successful and has taken a team to the SB. Don’t remember muscles being a requirement for being a QB.

houstonstime, Sooty and houston19519 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

First, this idea that the Carolina traded multiple assets to move up to #1 and don't know who they want to take is complete bullshit and it is insulting.

However, lets assume that IS the case and Carolina doesn't know - what an incredibly stupid group of decision makers.

"Well we don't know who we want, but damnit, we are trading assets to move up to take someone."

Ask the 49ers how well that worked out.

Counting on 1-2 good future starting QB's at the very top of the draft is really a stretch...... banking on a cluster of really good QB's in one draft and then picking one like shooting fish in a barrel is STUPID........ like dumber than Cal McNair stupid - I think.

No Worries, ROCKSS, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

My updated ideal draft based on needs: BY, Van Ness, Drew Sanders, Tippmann and best WR available

red5rocket likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Drew Sanders most likely won’t fall to the second so it’ll have to be Trenton Simpson if we go LB there

Would be a huge turnaround in one year though.

whag00 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

How does Stroud have no upside?

He is an underrated athlete that can move in the pocket. He throws a very good deep ball and he is accurate and has touch.

He also usually makes good reads too.... and he excelled against good competition.

He checks off basically every box for what is needed to be a good QB - and the difference between good and great is effort, discipline and luck.

I don't see Andrew Luck type apparent talent, but what is Luck doing now?

Stroud has as good a chance as just about any of the quarterbacks coming out.

Fulgore likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Honestly curious why you don’t like him.
    Couldn’t agree more. Strouds upside is actually quite strong if he’s surrounded by good talent. Kids accuracy is unmatched.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud is a very average athlete imo.
    He’s terrible under pressure, I mean really bad. And he only performed against Georgia. He didn’t perform well against consistent good competition.
    It’s hard to know how accurate he is, he had far more wide open targets to throw to than any of the other top guys

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I answered why I don’t like him.
    He has no physical upside, his accuracy hasn’t really been tested.

14. raining threes

Certainly a fair sentiment.

You dont have these issues if you draft Nolan Smith or Van Ness.

Shark44 likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I actually didn’t mean to tag you on that, but to respond. If he can do it once, then he can do it. Watch his last two games against Michigan and Georgia. It’s not hard to fathom him being the best guy of the group. I don’t understand the physical upside part. He has a great arm. Reportedly runs a 4.7 40 which is the same caliber as Josh Allen/Aaron Rogers and faster than Mahomes/Burrow. Any physical complaints are just false claims imo.

No Worries and Fulgore like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not the athlete Allen/Mahomes/Rodgers or Burrow is. He’s not quick, agile, powerful or elite in anyway physically.
    He has one game where he was able to move around when forced. The rest of his games he was a statue and routinely run down by DTs.

Any claims of him being a mobile or even remotely decent athlete are just false hopes

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The thing with Young has always been about can his small frame handle the punishment that comes with being a NFL QB. I'm sure he's a great QB but his size, as mentioned before, scares the hell out of some teams.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This guy is not an athlete. Short area burst is almost nonexistent. Mills is the perfect comparison athletically, and Mills will guaranteed have better timed results.

primtim24 likes this.
  19. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

I understand completely. Again, he has proven he can be successful in the land of giants by playing in the conference which provides the most players to the NFL. Does that mean he will be successful in the NFL, of course not. On the flip side, his size doesn’t mean he won’t be successful.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno how you can say this for certain. He went to jail for basically 2 years. If he was playing football that whole time you never know if he could have won.

Nook and coachbadlee like this.