1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Stone the HEDGE GOD! Why Stone has done a great job rebuilding the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 9, 2023.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been rumored by a reputable source and it very well could happen.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Burt Steele.jpg

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

He’s coming home.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Orlando started 5-20 and now are 23-26.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Two years that corresponding to the two years in which we wanted to be as bad as possible and then given a contract that we pretty much get to decide every season if we want to renew.

I don't really view Porter as that much of a gamble or investment and I think he does have some trade value but probably not much (second round picks were pretty hot this deadline). I won't argue that overall our rookies have been disappointing, but we have created some trade value among our players to fill our war chest of picks with.

The roster coming off the offseason well be telling of Stone.

Dipo was a mistake. LaVert's cancerous mass on his kidney would have been found during the Rocket's physical so he'd miss the same amount of time due to having his kidney removed. I would hope that Tilman would still go through the deal during the initial physical.

It was just a poor timing of having Harden demand a trade in public during the middle of the season, wish the Rockets could have done it during the beginning.

PatBev and Medicine N Music like this.
  8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Jabari's recent play did anyone change their opinion on Stone?

I understand complaints many posters have about Stone. He waited to trade EG, forced KPJ on Silas, created a poor culture, didn't draft Mobley, etc. All fair takes.

However, we have 3 players (Sengun/Bari/Green) w/ potential to be the top 2-3 players on a championship team (ceiling, not median outcome), along with a likely elite 3/D player (Tari), rotational pieces (KJ, Garuba, Tate, KPJ?,), 2 picks this year, and Nets' picks/swaps. We also have ~$60-70 million cap space (projected from Spotrac), so it may be an eventful summer.

While we don't have that superstar (yet), if you told me we'd have our current roster I would have been ecstatic.

Btw, I did not expect Jabari to be good this year. As I've stated many times on bbs and live chats, Jabari is so young (4 months younger than Thompson twins) that we needed to give him a lot more time than usual. It seems like he may be ready to contribute next year instead of 2 years down the line.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hedge Honcho is back in business.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Objectively speaking the verdict is out on Stone. I like Bari, Tari, Sengun, and believe Jalen’s floor is a good scorer. KJ was a real find in the 2nd round. Yes he’s drafted talent. But his judgment has been pretty poor. He owns the coaching choice. He owns the Wood, Wall, Olidipo, KPJ choices and the poor club culture. He owns passing on Jarret Allen. it’s a very mixed bag.

and I’m not sure the KPJ contract is going to end up being a tradable asset. We might be straightjacketed into another year of KPJ at big money, even if he’s not a fit.

I need to see more from our GM. As everyone realizes, he’ll be rightfully judged by what happens this offseason and what the team looks like next season.

#170 Aruba77, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    AroundTheWorld and withmustard like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Let the man build his team before you judge him.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Can we wait til 2030 before judging Stone. . . . PLEASE??? GAH!!

13. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

No. I don't trust whoever think Nix has lottery pick potential.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

seems to me our best assets at this point may very well be those 'treadmill of mediocrity' picks (Sengun, Tari, hopefully maybe Cam)

for those unaware... when the rox were consistently drafting mid first round, many complained we were on the 'treadmill of mediocrity' and needed to tank for a star...

well we tanked... but those aint the picks that are working out for us...

Jabari is improving...

but imagine if we had traded away the Green pick (#2), the Jabari pick (#3) and the Amen pick (#4)... and still got Sengun, Tari, Cam etc....

imagine the established talent we coulda got trading a #2, #3 and #4!!!! and then paired that up with our 'treadmill of mediocrity' picks....

heck... i aint even going into the other frp we squandered... Tyty, JC, etc...

I know, I know.... 'u gotta tank and get a top pick to get a superstar...' ... i understand the philosophy... but look at the reality.... hindsight is 20/20... and pound for pound... id rather have the 'treadmill of mediocrity' players - than the players we got from tanking...

kubli9, snowconeman22 and Y2JT like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

so much wow. U cray cray. Best rockets basketball in years with multiple players flashing incredibly high ceilings. Top notch defense. Competitive in year one of the non-tank. The rebuild has been nothing but a success so far.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am greedy though and want 2/3 to hit :D
    In addition, I want to know who the miss is so we can stop wasting time on him ;)

matchesmalone likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeesh yeah that's lowering the bar.

It's good the Rockets plucked one all star level player in the mid first round in Sengun - but really one of Green or Thompson has to hit another level (all star) for those picks not to have been disappointment relative to their draft position. I don't see Smith's play style as getting lots of votes.