1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

48 Laws of Power: Silas Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 14, 2023.

?

Could Silas be a better coach than he's been given credit for?

1. He definitely is!

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Absolutely not!

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Holding off judgement until the results of the next season

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

What if everyone is wrong about Silas?
    What if the tricks he used to help turn Lebron, Curry, and Doncic into All-NBA level players are currently working their magic on the young Rockets?
    What if he knows and is pushing just the right buttons with each of his young players to get the most improvement from them?
    What type of a cunning mastermind would be able to get the best results while looking inept and ineffective to the uninformed?

A coach who wields the 48 Laws of Power. After carefully evaluating the Rockets performance, I was able to see some traces of the 48 laws of power being applied. Is it a coincidence? Is Silas a bumbling idiot or a master of manipulation? It may be too early to know the truth.

Law 1: Never outshine the master- Allow Stone to run practices and set lineups, making him appear
    brilliant
    Law 2: Never put too much trust in friends, learn how to use enemies-
    hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend. In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to make them. Judge who is best able to further your interests in all situations. Keep friends for friendship, but work with the skilled and competent. (KPJ? Alpe? JG? KMJ? ).
    Law 3: Conceal Your Intentions - Use decoyed objects and desires and red herrings to throw people off the scent. Hide your intentions not by closing up, but by talking endlessly about your desires and goals— just not your real ones. (Alpe?, KPJ as pg, Trying to win games, playing the way they are supposed to)
    Law 4: Always say less than necessary.

Law 5: So much depends on reputation, guard it with your- life learn to destroy your enemies by opening holes in their own reputations. (2 wins vs suns & Monty Williams- current coach of the year/ nbca coach of the year (2021,2022); 2 wins vs Spurs & Popovich- 3xs coach of year and winningest NBA coach; 2 wins vs Billy Donovan- NBCA co-coach of the year 2020, John Wooden legends of coaching 2010, 3 time SEC coach of the year; 1 win vs Milwaukee and Budenholzer- NBA Coach of the Year Award (2019) and the NBCA Coach of the Year Award twice (2019 & 2020[co-coach], Best record in the league and Champion 2021, 1 win vs Joe Mazulla- 2nd best record in the league.
    Law 6: Court attention at all costs - Better to be slandered and attacked than ignored. (Worst record in the league) Do something that cannot be easily explained or interpreted. (Starting lineups, playcalling, & minutes distribution). By simply holding back, keeping silent, occasionally uttering ambiguous phrases, deliberately appearing inconsistent, and acting odd in the subtlest of ways, you will emanate an aura of mystery.
    Law 7: Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit (Lucas, Mahmoud, etc)

To be continued....

41 more laws to go, but I see some signs here. I went in order to prevent cherry picking, but there are even better examples further down the list. Law 5 convinced me I'm not completely delusional. Everyone has to have a dream, and I hope this is true. I will judge by Silas's ability to keep his job after 3 horrible seasons. If Silas is the still coach next season (especially if we get Wemby), I will believe he must be a master of manipulation worthy of molding our young talent.

edit:
    ABOUT THE 48 LAWS OF POWER

Amoral, cunning, ruthless, and instructive, this multi-million-copy New York Times bestseller is the definitive manual for anyone interested in gaining, observing, or defending against ultimate control.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_48_Laws_of_Power

#1 BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    hakeem94 and Rolliepollie like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

How relevant is this after Lakers win by 20 tomorrow?

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

You crazy.

fryjol7 and don grahamleone like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

48 Laws of Toxicity

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your first law is that Silas is being careful not to outshine Ruffle Stone???

Corpusfan and fryjol7 like this.
  7. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

While I'm sure this is a shitpost, Silas utterly botched perhaps the single most important law, Law 5. He's widely seen as a patsy coach at best, and a buffoon who's lost the respect of the locker room at worst. You can't recover from such hits to your reputation.

fryjol7 likes this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

Sorry I didn't mention that these are based on the best-selling book 48 Laws of Power by Robert Green. I did not make these up or alter them.

Here is the complete list:
    Law 1: Never Outshine the Master
    Law 2: Never Put Too Much Trust in Friends. Use Your Enemies
    Law 3: Conceal Your Intentions
    Law 4: Always Say Less than Necessary
    Law 5: Protect Your Reputation at All Costs
    Law 6: Court Attention at All Costs
    Law 7: Get Others Do the Work For You, But Take the Credit
    Law 8: Make People Come to You
    Law 9: Win Through Actions, Never Through Argument
    Law 10: Don’t Get Infected by Misery and Misfortune
    Law 11: Learn to Keep People Dependent on You
    Law 12: Use Selective Honesty & Generosity to Disarm Your Victim
    Law 13: Get Help by Appealing to Self-Interest, Never to Their Mercy
    Law 14: Pose As a Friend Work As a Spy
    Law 15: Crush Your Enemy Totally
    Law 16: Raise your Value Through Absence and Scarcity
    Law 17: Keep Others in Suspended Terror: Cultivate an Air of Unpredictability
    Law 18: Don’t Isolate Yourself Behind a Fortress
    Law 19: Know Who You’re Dealing with
    Law 20: Do Not Commit to Anyone
    Law 21: Play A Sucker to Catch a Sucker: Seem Dumber Than Your Mark
    Law 22: Use the Surrender Tactic
    Law 23: Concentrate Your Forces
    Law 24: Play the Perfect Courtier
    Law 25: Re-Create Yourself
    Law 26: Keep Your Hands Clean
    Law 27: Play on People’s Need to Believe to Create a Cultlike Following
    Law 28: Enter Action With Boldness
    Law 29: Plan All The Way to The End
    Law 30: Make Your Accomplishments Seem Effortless
    Law 31: Control the Options
    Law 32: Play to People’s Fantasies
    Law 33: Discover Each Man’s Thumbscrew
    Law 34: Be Royal in Your Own Fashion – Act Like a King to Be Treated Like One
    Law 35: Master the Art of Timing
    Law 36: Disdain Things You Cannot Have: Ignoring Them is the Best Revenge
    Law 37: Create Compelling Spectacles
    Law 38: Think As You Like, But Behave Like Others
    Law 39: Stir Up Waters to Catch Fish
    Law 40: Despise the Free Lunch
    Law 41: Avoid Stepping Into a Great Man’s Shoes
    Law 42: Strike the Shepherd to Scatter the Sheep
    Law 43: Work on The Hearts and Minds of Others
    Law 44: Disarm and Infuriate with the Mirror Effect
    Law 45: Preach the Need for Change, But Never Reform Too Much at Once
    Law 46: Never Appear Too Perfect
    Law 47: Do Not go Past The Mark You Aimed For, In Victory, Know When to Stop
    Law 48: Assume Formlessness

9. BreakYoSelfFool

Law 6: Court attention at all costs - Better to be slandered and attacked than ignored.

There are more examples of how this could be interpreted as other laws, but since I have only gotten to 7 so far I won't go too deep into them, some are:
    Law 21, Law 22, Law 35, Law 36, Law 46, Law 47

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Looking at Wikipedia for info on the book... I think I read far enough with, "The 48 Laws of Power turned Greene into a "cult hero with the hip-hop set, Hollywood elite and prison inmates alike."

But I kept reading until I hit this critique, "Professor Jeffrey Pfeffer said that Greene's so-called laws are based on isolated examples, and not on solid research. Kirkus Reviews said Greene offers no evidence to support his world view, Greene's laws contradict each other, and the book is "simply nonsense". Newsweek also points out ways it says the laws contradict each other and says, "Intending the opposite, Greene has actually produced one of the best arguments since the New Testament for humility and obscurity." Director magazine states "some of Greene's 'laws' seem contradictory" and the work is "plodding and didactic"."

Corpusfan likes this.
  11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Most recently whenever i hear any non 'he-got-fired' news on silas, those news or topics easily makes me think of salvy's avatar, clown silas image getting alive, he touting, cheering n laughing in a dark corner.

sirjesse likes this.
  12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Nah he's asscheeks.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

We only know the Gerald Green 48 laws of power

48 inch law of vertical-atrocity

DreamR likes this.
  14. BreakYoSelfFool

There are always critics, even of the New Testament of the Bible lol
    I gave a list of the 48 laws in a previous post so you could look at them and decide for yourself pretty quickly. If you want a better summary of the book check out The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene Summary & Notes - Nat Eliason

As far as contradiction, the book is not a system developed to gain power, or laws that apply to every situation. It is a list of tools used by those in power that may or may not apply to a specific situation. The author states how some of the laws may need to be reversed in some situations (like with law 1 sometimes you would want to attack a weak master and take their position). Law 48 actually says specifically "Accept the fact that nothing is certain and no law is fixed."

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've seen 3 seasons worth. I don't need to get any more proof. Fire Sil@ss.

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Could it be true? Yes, it could :)
    [​IMG]

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

48 degrees of 48 laws of 48 paragraphs of 48 lines of 48 ways of 48 Silasses sucking.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is some fine analysis bro, thank you for the insights!

fryjol7 likes this.
  20. Rokman

Rokman Member

WTF am I reading? Was this written by the CCP or some ****? This is some deranged and disturbing **** conducive of only destroying everyone around you for your own gain.

burlesk likes this.