1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The impact of the cost of food to your food spending habits?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jul 30, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

How much did that run you? I’ve been wanting to do that for my house. I’d like a generac natural gas home generator but they’re on super back order and pretty pricey

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

A little over $2,000 for the installation of the interlock, outside inlet, and generator. I also bought a natural gas conversion kit but I haven't installed it yet.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’m seeing earnings reports that indicate people are cutting back on more ‘extravagant’ food spending like buying canned tuna instead of meat from a deli.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What did you get for 250?

How many dined?

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I made it with shrimp and it turned out just as good. The sauce is definitely flavorful and great imo. I don't think I will be making it every week as it's already getting old and I need more variety.

The good news is I've stopped buying processed foods. I only bought a 2-for-1 frozen pizza deal because it was super cheap pizza. One or two slices a day is enough for a meal and a pizza will last 3 or 4 days. Once I get the Ooni pizza oven going, I won't do that. I'm more into making meals from scratch. I already feel 100% better, too. This thread inspired me back into smoothies so I bought some frozen bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. I'm going to mix with protein power and skim milk for some meal replacements. Next up...I'm making a slow cook crock pot pork butt for some bbq pork sandwiches to last me four or five days. Still trying to do the one-meal-a-day thing with some light snacking. I'm also on a cantaloupe and honeydew melon kick where I'll eat six smaller pieces of that for breakfast or a snack. I'm just happy to be mostly off processed foods at this point. I'm also staying away from beef and fried foods. I will still have some oven-baked fries and some lightly salted tortilla chips w/ salsa. For seafood, it's mainly pan-cooked sauteed shrimp. I'm trying to cut way back on salt...which is really what processed foods are all about.

TimDuncanDonaut, ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never eat breakfast unless I'm on a roadtrip, and even then only maybe. I switched to basically only eating one meal a day about 4 or 5 years ago, I think, and that's dinner. Between lunch and dinner, I just eat a handful mixed nuts and about 5 or 6 dates. lol. Definite cut back on expenses just for that alone. But around the same time I started making stuff at home way more easily. If people eat a lot of fried rice or takeout stuff like that, they should really just learn to make it at home. Way cheaper and it's not that difficult. You also know what's going into the crap you eat (for the most part).

When I cut down to one "real" meal a day a few years ago, I was actually drinking protein shakes for lunch, but after finding out what kind of crap could be in that mess and how some of them probably don't have what they claim to have, I gave up on those, too.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had really good success way back when with Genisoy soy-based protein powder and Genisoy nutrition bars as part of my daily diet while working out. I don't particularly care for whey-based protein powders. They never tasted as good as the Genisoy imo. But, it just so happens I'm drowning under a lot of whey protein powder currently. So, might as well use some. But, really no point imo if I'm not lifting weights...which I'm not into at the moment but may start again here.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

https://taoriceroll.com/

I’ve been driving to this spot religiously for the past month and

[​IMG]

Why u so good boo?!?

the bacon one and the seafood one are my go-to right now

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was at Target at the other day, and they had some plantain chips on the shelf with a warning label on the back saying “consuming this product can expose u to chemicals which are known to the state of California to cause cancer…for more information visit this website”

I was standing there like

[​IMG]

Am I taking crazy pills? Why would anyone want to eat cancer chips?

It’s not like it’s some medicine with adverse effects where u have to weigh the risk and reward, it’s freaking plantain chips!

10. Xerobull

You can't bring up Cali without tagging @tinman

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very nearly everything that is sold in California requires that cancer warning. The legislation that requires it was ridiculously over-broad.

For instance, I think all coffee sold in California requires that label.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  13. Xerobull

The litmus test: Does avocado toast require that label?

Blake likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

So anything that is sold in a Cali store has to have that label even in TX?

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, but they dont run special labels just for California.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Food prices are still pretty insane.

My wife wanted to take 3 of her friends out to eat.

It was a restaurant that required reservations, but it isn't a Michelin Star restaurant.... not a chain but the type of place you expect a good meal but not downtown Chicago.

She texted me afterwards, and the bill with tip was $1,800.

They did get alcoholic drinks, appetizers, entrees and dessert--- but there was nothing extreme when I looked at the bill... basically 2-3 common alcoholic drinks a piece.

My wife said she had a little sticker shock. I didn't say anything but she isn't going back there again.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Well damn, that was the down payment on my first car.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bought an entire car for that amount im 1999. It was a Lumina. :eek:

AroundTheWorld, Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  19. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Used to be you could be enjoy a Mexican plate lunch with a coke for $9. Now costs $14.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont eat at restaurants for lunch often at all. If I go into the office I will pack a salad. A $12-15 lunch is now $20-25 so I nixed that habit.

ElPigto and Nook like this.