1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Haters, repeat after me... you DO NOT pass judgement on a player's NBA career during their ROOKIE SEASON. IDGAF if you end up correct, it's still always a dumb thing to do.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

It's great to see him look comfortable. Sengun, Green, Jabari and Eason are good young pieces. Once you take out the trash in KPJ and Silas we'll see what we have

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

It’s such a coincidence the usual bari haters who spend all day posting are now quiet. Y’all know who you are

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

And lift.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I never thought that Jabari was gonna be a top flight scorer, I haven't seen any skills that suggest that. I didn't think it was completely out of the question, but the more likely good outcome was as an excellent complimentary scorer. Because of that I have never been too down on his struggles this season given the abject lack of team framework and young age.

I think with a full season under his belt and (hopefully) an actual NBA coach with a system and primary ball handler will lead to a huge jump from him.

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

This ish is PRICELESS!

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

JG and Bari are gonna be nice for a long time.

BaselineFade and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

and Sengun and Tari

nice core

BaselineFade and Believe It! like this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even if he "only" ends up being a 15 and 9 guy with good defense and average efficiency, that's still a valuable player who would get 25+ minutes on any team. And I honestly think that's about his floor once he gets his feet under him. He's not going to stay 12 and 7 and I definitely think he's capable of shooting a league-average 3 ball moving forward.

Definitely flashes of the ability to be more than just a good rotation player though. We'll just have to wait and see if he realizes his potential.

Arnel, JayGoogle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is also not going to get much more PT than this 30.3 mpg in his first season.

A good team will give him 32-34 minutes per game max and those should be rather earned than given.

He is also allowed to attempt 11 Field goals per game.

That is pretty much borderline star treatment for a rookie.

12. dmoneybangbang

I would bet the rookies and sophomores finish strong as was the case last season with the rookies. I think it's certainly valid to still have many concerns regarding Jabari but there is still a lot to be revealed.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Hope Jabari can keep up his play until the end of the season. Good signs but it still doesn't overwrite an entire season of poor performances. Even Luther Head averaged 11 on 44% from 3 for an entire year. Regardless he just need to keep sticking his jumpshots. I don't actually mind if he develops his creator skills, he literally just needs to be a 40% 3-point shooting LMA.

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%

The JG/Bari reference is for the DD's, BTG's and Jiggy's of the world. Coincidentally all 3 seem to have disappeared from this thread recently. What a strange, sweet world we live in.

King1 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Long list of idiots there..........

i3artow i3aller and Arnel like this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh is that all??

Wouldn't that be a HoF type player? Take a 7 time all-star and give him extra range at elite %...

There's slight potential for you to be disappointed if that's your baseline expectation on the low end....

Arnel and Zen Tabak like this.
  17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why not? He’s the third pick touted as an elite 3/D player at the 4. Ranked as the top prospect pre-draft. Are we supposed to be happy he plays at an Ariza level?

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Kyle Korver and JJ Redick aren't HOF players.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too bad Trev never developed much of a handle otherwise he wouldn't have been looked down on.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Trevor was great for how he was projected to turn out. You just don’t want your third pick turning into him. Players like Ariza aren’t that rare, he wasn’t even a 3 point sniper.