1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I cannot for the life of me make out what Silas says back to him. Care to translate?

Dredd likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I thought he said "Tyty has a migraine" but I could be wrong.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He said "TyTy plays in the WNBA".

5. i3artow i3aller

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Can someone please buy a plane ticket for Nix please?

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

He's not the pure floor-general that he is, but TyTy does remind me a bit of (a right-handed) Mike Conley Jr. when he first came into the league.

Conley didn't try to take over or make his presence known, and struggled to assert himself at times in his first 2-3 years, but he always took care of the ball, made the extra pass, and relied a lot on his floater early on. He got more confident over time, and added a consistent 3-ball, and obviously ended up as a very good PG for many years.

We need to get him reps, even if he doesn't end up the starter here long-term. I do think he will eventually be a starting-caliber PG at some point though.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We could b giving him a chance to become a starting pg or at least a good back up instead we send him to rgv so nix and Tate can role-play as pseudo pgs.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Pure tanking move constantly gutting the team of competent PG's. Sengun and Tyty should have been running the offense all season with KPJ and Tate as secondary playmakers.

On the bright side I'm very optimistic about Tyty's future. Very good project who only needs to sharpen his skills, put on some muscle and gain experience. This is the perfect time to give him minutes but they would rather reward overweight Nix.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. dmoneybangbang

I actually have no problem with him playing mostly in the G League this season, as I've stated multiple times. Playing Nix over TyTy isn't crazy to me since we are trying to do the opposite of winning this season.

TyTy's biggest strength compared to the Rockets' roster is his bbiq. Otherwise, I hope he works on his body and game over the offseason so he can be a backup PG.

12. i3artow i3aller

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Ffs rockets just let him play

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Love that clip. I want to see more toughness and physicality from TyTy. He has such a smooooooth game, just easily moving to his spots, dropping in that floater, making good passes. I think he's got a really nice flow and rhythm to everything he does out there. He kind of reminds me of Jeff Teague (Teague was a little more athletic) when he first came into the league. He'll keep getting stronger and be able to draw contact will really up his game a lot. Thanks for posting it @Rockets34Legend

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Dredd

Dredd Member

I hear KPJ is dating a WNBA player, is it TyTy Washington?

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are we really supposed to believe they didn't play Tyty because of his poor shooting when the player who got the 2nd most minutes at PG this season averaged:

4.2 points ON 4.3 shots (35/30/66 splits)
    2.4 assists to 1.5 TO's
    Invisible defense
    Overweight (sorry Daishen, just being objective)

If the player we're throwing out there is going to suck for now anyway then why not play the better playmaker? Tyty had 47 assists to 14 turnovers (greater than 3:1 ratio). At least pick the guy with one salvageable skill and younger too. Ridiculous.

Doesn't mean much to tear up the G League, but as I always say it's better than not tearing up the G League. Hope he's allowed to compete for 2nd/3rd PG spot next season. Wish his 3pt shot hadn't disappeared so badly in the NBA, he definitely has work to do.

Easy likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We would be a significantly better team instantly by removing locker room and on court cancer KPJ and playing TyTy instead.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think TyTy could have added many wins, if any, to the team if they played him as the full-time backup. So I don't buy the "they hide him in order to lose" argument. Giving Nix the job made sense at the beginning because of his experience. But it is quickly obvious that Nix had shown little upside to be a future rotation player. The longer Nix was thrown out there. the more painfully obvious it was. And it appeared that the coaching staff/FO had finally realized how dumb it was to billed him as a "lottery" talent. Nix began to get very inconsistent minutes. But guess what, TyTy was still being stashed for some reason. They even made Tate the PG while KPJ was out. I mean, Tate is an okay player on a bad team. But did they seriously believe that Tate would have a better chance of being the future at the PG position then TyTy? Really? What the heck?

Mathloom likes this.