1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ending the talent acquisition stage of the rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't dislike the concept of trading Martin, but I don't like trading him for draft capital, ESPECIALLY if Harden is signing. I'd rather package him and draft capital for an upgrade. We can only develop so many guys.

topfive and OremLK like this.
  2. Ancient Moabite

Wow, whoa

Then I guess the flipside is you must be as anorexia thin as Olive Oyl with some of your over the top/spam replies on here, its hard to trust a self starving body-mind as well

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Understood. My plan would be to target projected role players (here 2 guys whose calling cards would be defense) and send them to RGV. They'd be developing there waiting to be called up in a year or so (when KPJ is released or when Garuba signs elsewhere respectively). Essentially I'd use these guys to stock the g league affiliate the way MLB teams do.

I'd use future picks similarly to have guys ready to replace guys who we can't afford to keep around Green, Sengun and Smith.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A lot of Rubbish !

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Win the draft and pick Wemby.
    Sign Harden full 4 year max (47M in 2023
    Sign Draymond Green 4/130 (27M)
    Trade for M. Bridges- Give the Nets back all their picks and swaps and send J. Smith .
    Trade KPJ for picks

Salary cap should be 134 with 162 Luxury Tax

2023 Cap situation

Starters

Harden- 47M
    J. Green- 9M
    Bridges- 21M
    D. Green- 27M
    Wemby- 12M
    Total- 116M

Bench-

Sengun- 3.5
    Eason- 3.5
    Ty ty- 2.3
    Tate- 6.5
    KMJ-2M
    Total- 18M

That takes us to the cap

Roster filler x4 at league minimum

Midlevel (No idea- give me Jae Crowder here maybe?

That's a 9 man rotation of Harden, J. Green Mikael Bridges, Draymond and Wemby and a 9 man rotation of Sengun, Eason, Tate and Crowder. that leaves 12M to the luxury tax line if you can negotiate that from a technical sense.

That team has 2 guys that should play at an all star level (Harden and Bridges) 2 up and comers in Green and Wemby and a do it all vet in Green. Rotation shouldn't get buried . I think that team would be a top 4-6 team in the West next year a little behind Denver and Phoenix and if J. Green and Wemby become really good they could compete for a title in years 3 and 4 of Hardens deal. Then- in 4 years Green and Wemby are on their Rookie max deals, Bridges should be a 40M a year type and you should be able to convert Harden and D. Green's salary to another max spot type. If Wemby is a top 5 type guy that gives you a realistic shot (not great but 5-10% type) at a title on the Harden time frame and a definite window for Wemby and Green in their rookie extension deals.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Constructive

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

HardenReturns and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

amazing

Salvy likes this.
  9. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Dear Hakeem94, as much as I don’t respect you or your posts at all, it seems being such an ******* has obviously influenced your mind a lot recently… I wouldn’t trust your brain if I were you… be it Sengun or whatever

body and mind are one single entity.. they’re body-mind… you can’t expect us to trust a mind that became such an *******… you just cant… especially one that disgraces the name of hakeem and ***** on the city of houston all the time.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

They pretty much use Sengun's picture every positive word in the dictionary... Greatness, talent, franchise, amazing, flawless and perfect just to name a few. Any of these words and Merriam has Sengun's picture next to the definition.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a new meme is born

Salvy likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

topfive and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

Wow, whoa

Then I guess the flipside is you must be as anorexia thin as Olive Oyl with some of your over the top/spam replies on here, its hard to trust a self starving body-mind as well
    This is exactly how the foreign corporate colonial union States Of North America operate under the Treaty+Constitution (land lease agreement) charters

14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Free agency:
    Sign Harden 4yr/$202M
    Sign Cam Johnson 3+1/$114M
    Sign Malik Beasley 2/$11M room exception
    Sign Pat Bev 1+1 veteran minimum

Trades:
    Trade KPJ+JayGup to ATL for Clint Capela straight up
    Trade Tate + '24 GSW 2nd to IND to for BOS '23 1st (28th pick)
    Trade Sengun to SAS for '25 CHI 1st (top 8 protected), ATL '25 1st (unprotected), ATL '27 1st (unprotected), BOS '28 pick swap (top 1 protected)

Draft:
    Top 5 pick (Wemby/Scoot/Miller/Thompson/Thompson)
    LAC pick #19 (Hendricks/Lively/Rupert/Lewis)
    BOS pick #28 (Coulibaly/Cissoko)

Team:
    Harden
    Green
    [Wemby/Scoot]
    Cam Johnson
    Capela

Jabari, Tari, Beasley, KJ, Garuba, TyTy, Pat Bev, 19th pick, 28th pick

Salary Cap: $133.5M/$134M

Notes:
    - Assumes most teams don't want KPJ, for non-basketball reasons; sends him to ATL where his buddy Dejounte would vouch for him, and where they want to move Capela for salary reasons
    - Houston homecoming for Harden, Capela, and Pat Bev; players who would actually want to be here
    - Sends Tate to Indiana for a first where they need a solid rotation forward, and we have too many
    - Hard to move Sengun but SAS a perfect fit for him if they don't get Wemby (they lack a center, love his style, and need prospects to build around), and we're not
    - Fixes offensive organization + creation, rim protection + PnR defense, 3 pt shooting + floor spacing
    - 35-40 win target while developing 4-5 top tier prospects and netting +4 future FRP's for future star acquisition

sydmill likes this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If Harden stays healthy that team wins more than 35 for sure and probably more than 40.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Could you really get that much for Sengun?? I find that hard to believe but maybe you could.

That team would have to be able to win more than 35-40 games. If not don’t even bother with Harden.

17. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I think the return from SA would be in that range. I doubt SAS wants to bottom out hard past this year, since there’s no top of draft elite talent the next two years, so acquiring a core prospect instead of drafting makes sense for them.

I also remember they were heavily linked with Sengun at the draft.

OKC gave up 3 protected firsts for #11 last year. I think Sengun is significantly more valuable than that on the market. It would definitely be >=3 firsts of some kind, years and protections tbd.

Sengun is basically the 2nd best 22 and under big in the league, and he’s still only 20. He’s pretty valuable.

#37 carl_herrera, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    peleincubus likes this.
  18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

soo, talent acquisition ends with acquiring the requisite talent.

sitting at the bottom of the league praying for Victor, technically means, we don't have enough resources. guess if our prayers are answered ... maybe.

I think though that we would just move to a different stage of talent acquisition.

SamFisher likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets have been so sad in 2023 that taking a sub .500 play in contender to OT on the road has the feeling of MAJOR PROGRESS - the talent acquisition is complete!

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Get a new coach.

Keep Sengun, Tari, Jabari, Green, TyTy

Bring Harden home

Sign Grant Williams, Gary Trent Jr or FVV. Also consider adding Josh Hart

Trade KJ, KPJ, Clippers 2023 pick, and Brooklyn picks for Bridges, Cam and Claxton.

Draft best player available

Sengun/Claxton
    Cam/Jabari/Tari/Garuba
    Bridges/Tate
    Green/Gary Trent Jr/Christopher
    Harden/TyTy
    BPA in the draft