1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. fattz

fattz Member

Some players need a system to play within. Good or bad Jabari is one of them. He needs stronger structure to elevate his game. Tari is the opposite he has a roll the ball out style of game 3 vs 3 or 12 vs 4 he plays the same way. BOTH players have strengths and weaknesses along with positive and negative to their games. Bari NEEDING a coach/system is his biggest problem this year. Silas
    that is prospective I didn’t see thanks for sharing. Maybe the same can be said of other players too. Silas is trying to make them complete 2 way players out of the bigs

JayGoogle and bmelo like this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

It is good to see him have a good game but one good game does not erase a whole lot of pure suck we have seen from him most of the season. I hope this is the beginning of him finally showing he was worth the #3 pick but I will withhold judgement until I see at least a little bit of consistency. Any bad player can have a good game every once in a while when given the minutes like Jabari has been given. The good ones do it consistently. The only thing consistent about Jabari up to this point is that he has sucked. Hopefully this is the start of him turning it around.

mario_v, HoustonCRT, Icehouse and 3 others like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Full Highlights:

DreamShook, TAB, Believe It! and 4 others like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't even think Ivey is playing better than Jabari. He's a flashier scorer/playmaker but he's still been pretty inefficient. He's looking an awful lot like KPJ did his first year here, IMO. At least when the shot isn't falling for Jabari he's still a defensive presence and grabs some rebounds for you.

With Murray it's just a totally different situation. He's three years older and is surrounded by great players on a contending team and is mostly being asked to shoot open 3s. He should be playing much better just based on his context. He was a great pick for them because they were looking to get better right away, not trying to develop a higher-ceiling guy for the future, but I don't think he would've been a better fit for the Rockets.

JayGoogle and Mathloom like this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

For once he didn't look like a G-League player which is encouraging. I like his middies.

cheke64 and J Sizzle like this.
  6. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Not sure it’s mentioned by Jabari’s TS% got above 50% finally.

DreamShook and zeeshan2 like this.
  7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

He's not going to be a 30 ppg scorer but i've always said that he plays much better in games where he gesta a chance to put the ball on the floor and to create for himself, just as he did in Auburn. He's very limited in that area, but i feel it works for him as a way to get in rythm. You can see he looks more comfortable and aggresive when he does so.

xaos likes this.
  8. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

happy for him, his effort has not waned and for one night, the results matched the effort. If you look at the highlights, a lot of actions were different from the regular season stuff so far. Let's use these 20 games for that.

Also, there is a lot of lineup combinations possible with a player as him on the floor. That is one aspect we have not explored fully. Lets do the same with Jalen and Sengun, mix and match for segments to explore more. Some of his more aggresive moments came with him playing the 5. May be time to stagger Alpi and Bari. We may try a run with Garuba who focuses more on passing and opens up the line.

Its encouraging and basically like fishing for a day for those of us who remain on Jabrari Island.

RedIsen likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

An excellent, I bet you’re fun at parties post!

cml750 likes this.
  10. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Grown men really getting sad last night and waking up this morning thinking, "Damn, this teenager I've been ******** on to make myself feel smart had a good game. How do I spin this? How can I double down? I know, it's just one good game! He can't score 30 consistently. If I move the goal posts far enough, I can continue being a little **** online for attention!"

Arnel and BigShasta like this.
  11. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, my partying days were a LONG time ago. I was actually pretty fun then. Now I am old and just call things like I see them. I have been VERY disappointed with Jabari up to this point. I truly hope this is the start of something good.

#5951 cml750, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    peleincubus likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Smith is starting to put it together. Over the last four games, he's averaged 17 points on 53.3% shooting, 47.1% from three. If he can keep this up -- especially 40%+ from 3 -- he'll open up the lanes big time.

J Sizzle, Mathloom and zeeshan2 like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's an elephant in the room. Specifically in the front part of the painted area - though not really in the 4th period last night

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  14. Good Times

Good Times Member

I like that he’s using the short pull up rather than trying to drive it all the way. Would like to see more mid range shots for him. That will help him get more rhythm to make the 3s.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

He finally had a good game. Good for him. I don't see him doing this every night but if he could become a consistent 22/12/5 guy that would be great.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think Jabari will be a 5 assist type of guy. He already has big problems putting the ball on the floor, to be competent in seeing the floor with struggling to put the ball down is a tall ask. A lot of his effort now is just not getting the ball stripped from him.

I can see him being a 20/10 guy who is one of the best switch defenders in the league kinda like Bam for the Heat

Williamson and VooDooPope like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

What do you mean, everyone knows if there's one thing 19 year old rookies are known for, it's consistency.

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

22/12/5??? This board has absurd expectations. Only three guys are averaging over 22 points and around 12 rebounds: Giannis, AD, and Joker. And of those three, only Joker and Giannis are averaging 5 or more assists.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

20/10 would be great. The only players averaging over 20/10 are Embiid, Giannis, AD, Randle, and Joker. Sabonis and Ayton are close, averaging 19 and 18 respectively, though Sabonis is also averaging 12 boards and 7 assists.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hahaha

Is that all? Just 22/12/5 and great defense? lol That would be an all-time great PF man it's a really high bar.

Anyone who averages a double double, can hit 3's and plays very good defense is worth the max in the NBA. The defense was always supposed to be the hardest part but he's well ahead of schedule on half of all possessions (defense). On the other side of the court as soon as he can consistently hit his 3's, it will open up other things for him and give him easier drives to the basket. It will also help him tremendously to have a scorer on the team who consistently attracts double teams - our guys have not been consistent enough yet.

I really think we're going to be on track. It was a terrible team/season for Jabari's development I would be furious if I were his agent (a team with no good PG for an off ball shooting lottery pick). Let's hope for a good finish to the season because hardly anyone in the NBA needs an offseason of development more desperately than him.

Believe It! likes this.