1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

So it will be >$0.50kwh for non tesla supercharging. But I agree it’s more about risk of strand making EVs entirely unviable than the price. But the 3,500 will only come online at the end of 2024, currently there are only 9 stations(not stalls) open total. By the end of 2024 Tesla will have greatly expanded their own network so 1. Non teslas won’t congest the network for Tesla owners 2. Opened chargers are gateway drug for access to entire network.

I do agree though that if the supercharger network was the ONLY advantage Tesla had, then opening it up at all could be harmful. But Tesla believes they will build the best cars anyway so this is just a way to attract and convert more customers. For instance the investor day that just happened revealed that their next gen car will cost 50% of the model 3 to make, and will be -30% total cost of ownership of a Corolla. They will make this at the new Mexico factory that will break ground soon and available within 18 months. A $25k Tesla with the TCO -30% of a Corolla will sell 10m a year.

#1881 CXbby, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

It will be interesting for sure. I would love to see a small and cheap Tesla. If Tesla's production cost can be as low as they say then it might be the only company capable of competing against Chinese EVs in the next decade or two. I think its inevitable that Chinese EV companies taking a permanent foothold in the US and EU like Toyota and Honda did in the 80s then Hyundai/Kia in the 00s.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Rivian new built in house
    LFP battery and dual motors setup is the MOST significant development in EV industry outside of China for a while (disclosure:I bought on dip)

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Congrats, considering rivn hit an all time low this week, you are buying below anyone else ever!

Other than that, how is this a significant development at all? Tesla model S has offered >400mi for years. Absolute range is meaningless in today’s Ev market anyway, all you have to do is stack on more batteries. How much does it cost for that range is what matters.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

THANKS, you too, hope you enjoyed another cyber Fiesta power points and that stainless steel on wheels appliances
    hmm do you know who is supplying Tesla with batteries or Ford?
    have you heard about bidirectional charging¡, do you know what is this technology is made for!
    speaking of investment, May16th to June29 exit generated enough profit margin to put a fat down-payment + one year worth of mortgages ,for a sweet real estate equity., I had mentioned last summer, Tesla will fall badly, Rivian is hostage to Ford shares dumping, Nio is victim to Chinese govt. Oddly to say, one of the first thing I plan to do once I recieve my rivian ,is go to homedepot and rent a skid steer and work on backyard renovation project.

now the smoke is clear, the earning reports exceeded and/ or matched my expectations
    *they cleaned the company from former Tesla/Ford executives
    *thier supply chain contract signed in 2018/2019 about to expires, will be negotiable at favorable position.
    *they mentioned prodctuon line halt for upgrades and 50k targets, my own calculations they could exceed that if they wanted,always good to set the bar lower.
    *R2 was referenced as their 1st mass production ( R1 was not meant to be )
    *always read between the lines, much easier to navigate your way,you don't need a clown ceo to make a good investment

I honestly think Elon is taking a big gamble, his safe fall hedge is Twitter despite all the drama and public remorse.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Rivn loses $2b a quarter, 50k deliveries this year is not going to make a dent in that cash burn, less than 10 quarters to bankruptcy and unlike Lucid, Saudi sugar daddies won’t be there to rescue. Ford already see the writing on the wall which is why they are dumping. When Cybertruck comes to market this year one of two things will happen, either Tesla realizes the 2m in reservations, crushing any Rivian market share, OR, if the 2m in reservations don’t come through and people want a more traditional looking truck, Tesla will simply make one. People are too caught up with looks, that’s easy to adjust for the market. Tesla is at a scale that Rivian or any startup can’t even dream of, that’s a competitive advantage in cost that is insurmountable. I have been short Rivn and lcid for a year to hedge my Tsla position, as stated a year ago in the stock thread, it’s easy money.

Did you know that Rivian and Scaringe have been around for almost as long as Tesla has existed? Over the years Tesla has become the largest automaker by market cap in history. Their scale will surpass BMW within the next 18 months, and their profit already equals some of the big legacy oems while producing 1/10 the cars. What has Rivian accomplished over the same 10 years? Why would anyone trust Scaringe (lack of) track record? They only IPO’d after Tsla’s meteoric rise, riding Tsla’s coattails and a stock market bubble to con investors gullible to give money to any EV players. Smart of them to take the money, but it’s also why all these startups have crashed 90% after reality hitting, and they are no where near bottomed yet. Friendly warning, don’t get suckered.

#1887 CXbby, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also I’m not sure what “nio being a victim to the Chinese government” means, considering they are only alive because they got bailed out by the CCP when they were on the brink of bankruptcy in 2020.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

As long as Porsche keeps making cars, I don’t care what Tesla or Rivian or GM does.

I do wish I had the conviction about something ..anything in life like cxbby does about Tesla.

I have always wondered how suicide bombers are brainwashed..now I can see how fanatical people can be about a cause.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

You have it backwards. I studied the market over the last ten years and correctly predicted how things would play out, I put my money where my mouth is. If gm or Rivian or Porsche were making all the right moves then that's where I would have put my money. My money is agnostic. People who are brainwashed are convinced about something that is wrong, people who are convinced about something which turns out to be right are just people prescient about reality. Time to look in the mirror to ask who is the one that's brainwashed.

#1890 CXbby, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Amir likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Porsche sold 300k cars in 2022, a 3% gain from 2021. Tesla sold 1.3m cars in 2022, a 40% increase from 2021. Tesla has already far surpassed Porsche, and is growing much faster(compared to not growing at all). If you don't care about anything except what Porsche does, that's fine, you are free to indulge in your fanaticism. But don't use your personal bias as a projection for the industry, that would be...a brainwashed point of view.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

bro what the actual fk are you talking about? i truly don't care how many more cars porsche sells or whether tesla sells more cars than porsche. i didn't even know how many cars porsche sells a year. hell, the less the better.

for your reading comprehension.... i said as long as porsche sells cars. NOT MORE CARS THAN TESLA.
    if you think porsche is going out of business because tesla is selling ipads on wheels...then i don't know what to tell you. i don't think anyone in their right mind is expecting porsche to sell more cars than Tesla. and i hope they don't.

you are worse than cryptobros. geezus.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

sad statement

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Relax. It's just the internet. I get that you're not serious about anything but this response.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

oh look who is here...his errand boy. beat it bro.

Space Ghost likes this.
  18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Wish this thread could be focused on new EV developments and not Tesla stock is good or Tesla are selling more cars YoY.

Sajan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. AWIN

AWIN Member

So after a week of driving the Model Y here are my first impressions...HOLY $HIT this thing is awesome! This is my first EV so I'm sure the wow factor will wear off, but still WOW!

We ordered the third row seating, which is probably not a very popular option and not a true seven seater but it works for quick trips to Bellaire when hauling two families. I'm 5'11" and sat in the third row just fine, takes a bit of agility getting out from the third row and definitely not going to be very comfortable if you are a taller person or obese.

This car is crazy fast even for just being the Long Range model, I can't even imagine the Performance and any real life reason to consistently go faster, especially since it drains your battery. The one pedal driving is so smooth, ride is a bit rougher (being extremely critical here) but it's basically a box on wheels. Only one noticeable flaw in the body where the hatch needs to be slightly realigned, the rest of the body panels were straight with no gaps.

The software is ridiculous, basically an extension of your phone. This is what you are paying for, batteries and the software. Haven't taken any long trips yet so no comment on charging stations or battery life, but driving around town is a non-issue and the steering wheel has not fallen off...yet.

Seriously thinking about getting a Model 3 now too. I drank the Kool Aid and it's delicious!

CXbby and Sajan like this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You can make it faster. Try the performance boost over the air update.

Free to try for first two days.

If you want it permanently, you can pay $2000 for it.