1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

ElPigto likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once charging for trips is figured out (5 minutes at a gas stations vs 30 minutes for a supercharger), there will be almost no reason outside of industrial uses to own a internal combustion engine car.

Exiled likes this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Probably charging his Bolt at an Electrify America station in Sealy, TX.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This seems so obvious yet we keep permitting new gas stations and such. We will indeed hit a tipping point and since gasoline distribution is built on volume, when that volume goes down the costs will go up creating more of a spiral. By 2030-2035 there will be gobs of stranded assets across the country and the world--but nobody's really thinking about what we do with those, how we clean them up, who pays, etc. One thing I'm fairly certain of: you don't want to end up in a place with a lot of stranded fossil fuel assets. Such places will be a drain on the community and not draw future capital or brainpower.

Ubiquitin and CXbby like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I wouldn’t buy a non tesla EV either.

7. dmoneybangbang

We know

FrontRunner, ElPigto and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Precisely why I don’t encourage buying non Tesla EVs.

When you buy a Tesla you are buying into the most widespread and reliable charging network and that takes care of range anxiety.

A total of 26k miles now in my Teslas and I never had to worry about charging or range. There is always a supercharger nearby where I go should I need it and 99% probability that they will work as they should.

Tesla actually works on and maintains their chargers. Other third party ones took the money and ran away.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think this reddit post will help you more than I can (regarding the solar + battery + free nights calculations)

jchu14 likes this.
  11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Tesla starting to open up Super Charging stations to non-Tesla vehicles. It's only a few stations for now, but there are plans for more in the future. This is huge for non-Tesla EVs. It remains to be seen how this would cause deterioration of quality of life for Tesla owners and how whether Super Charging stations can remain as reliable now that it has to cater to other vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesl...chargers-non-tesla-ev-owners-us-how-it-works/

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tesla plans to open 3,500 supercharging stations to non Teslas by the end of 2024. Tesla currently has 40,000 supercharging stations total, by the end of 2024 they plan to expand that to 80,000. What will be made available to non Teslas is a tiny fraction just to give them a taste of what a real charging network should look like. And for their trouble, these non Teslas will be paying an upcharge that will make supercharging more expensive than getting gas. Tesla is a business, run by the greatest entrepreneur of our generation, they are not going to do anything that doesn’t benefit Tesla. In the long run, non Teslas using the supercharger network will want to switch to Teslas so that they can get full access at much lower cost instead of <5% of the network. It is a brilliant marketing move straight out of Art of War.

#1872 CXbby, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I have been right about the EV industry for 10 years since I was posting about it in the stock market thread. If you listened you made generational wealth for your family like I have. Or, Johnny come lately can contribute nothing and mock.

15. jchu14

It's true that it's a show case of Tesla's charging infrastructure, but eventually 3500 stalls non-Tesla compatible stalls in the US is not a trivial number. Tesla has 40,000 super charging stalls (not stations) world wide. 7,000 of the DCFC charging stalls are in the US in 1400 stations.

imagine taking half of the current Tesla charging stalls and making them compatible with non-Teslas. Their number will be dwarfed by Tesla only stalls, but it'll still make a huge difference.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

These numbers are wrong. 17,000 of the 40,000 supercharger stalls are in the US. By end of 2024 that will be 34,000 stalls in the US. They are opening up 3,500 stalls(by end of 2024). It’s a small fraction, and again, for non teslas they will cost more than filling up gas, it will actually be a cash cow for Tesla.

This means only for select routes (10%) will non Teslas be able to use the supercharger network, for 90% of the other cases they will fall back on the unreliable and unusable third party charging or Electrify America network. Then they will think, gee, wouldn’t it be great if I could use the supercharger network on 100% of my trips?

For somebody like @Sajan who got a Etron and then found out how inconvenient it was and sold it, then incorrectly assumed that was representative of the EV experience which is why he is here hating on it, imagine if 10% of the superchargers were open for his Etron at the time. Maybe he would have seen the Tesla advantage instead of thinking EVs are not viable and going back to gas.

So many got suckered into the EV wave thinking it is the next big thing then become disappointed with their non Tesla experience, and conclude that EVs are not ready. Well they are right. EVs are not ready, and not the next big thing. Only Teslas are, they are the only viable EV.

#1876 CXbby, Mar 3, 2023
    Amir likes this.
  17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bluebird is pushing electric school buses now. The range is fine for the daily pick up and delivery of students, but you would not want to take the marching band to a competition in Dallas.
    [​IMG]

18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

[​IMG]

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Listen, in 5 years Tesla will be the largest company in the world. And you would have done nothing about it and still posting pictures on the internet.

20. jchu14

I am not surprised that Super Charging would be more expensive than gas for non-Teslas. Even now, Super Charging is fairly expensive at about $0.29/kwh. At 4 miles/kwh, that's $0.0725 per mile. A gas car that gets 30 miles per gallon at $3/gallon is $0.10/mile. It's already pretty close. With the non-Tesla surcharge, it'll for sure be more expensive than gas cars.

However, for me, the biggest hurdle for me on a non-Tesla EV here in Texas is the very real possibility of being stranded or have to backtrack if a station is down. Tesla stations can be a backup solution that I wouldn't mind paying extra on the occasional road trip. If Texas adds some CCS Supercharging stations in major highway corridors, it will alleviate that fear and allow me to weigh other criteria such as price, styling, features, warranty, and service against the offerings from Tesla with its superior charging infrastructure.

#1880 jchu14, Mar 3, 2023
    CXbby likes this.