1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not saying Hensley isn't going to be decent. I just said, don't expect huge power from him. Maybe the JD Martinez light came on for him. If it happens, I will estatic. That being said, Dubon slugged .477 his last full season in the minors.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The pitch clock forces players to play the game. It isn't being artificially accelerated. Players have artificially decelerated the game the last 20-30 years using delay tactics that are and were against the rules. MLB, instead of implementing rules on the book sporadically, tried numerous times to get players to play the game. The pitch clock is a necesdsary evil because players choose not to follow the rules and choose to not play the game.

If you are against the pitch clock, I am forced to assume one either wants to watch walking around, nut grabbing etc, or one is so resistant to change, that one can't even see that the pitch clock is only intended to fix a change that was never meant to occur. Baseball was never intended to be about players not playing the game for long periods with play sprinkled in whenever the batter and pitcher or pitch felt like it.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was against the three point shot and traveling as well. I remember when you had to actually dribble the ball and couldn't carry it either.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

It took me 3 years to get Garcia's timing down in mlb the show. It's back to the drawing board.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Well according to some on this board, now that Dubon has gained some muscle he’s ready to launch 50 home runs.

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  6. STR8Thugg

Im not entirely against the clock, I just think it’s too fast. Asking hitters to get back in the box in 8 seconds is probably a bit rushed and I think it may give pitchers an advantage. I also think there is a chance that we see an increase in pitching injuries bc these guys throw different than dudes did 30-40 years ago, hell different than 15 years ago, and I think there’s a good chance we see a subsequent increase in injuries.

The other thing is, during the regular season, and even sometimes in the playoffs. I watch on record and use my xfinity stream 30s FF and 15s rewind buttons and manipulate it so I’m just watching pitch after pitch, so sure I don’t feel the sting of watching these guys rub their dicks all game long. Regardless, I think going from nothing to 15s is overboard, and it drives me nuts that you can “earn” a strike as a pitcher simply from a hitter taking 9 seconds. Or visa versa with hitters. Nothing you can say will convince me to like that.

cbass likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

Im expecting no less than a .330 average and 70 home runs from Hensley. Anything less will be a massive disappointment.

Yordan The Great and Tuckmose like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

The players aren't complaining about it and they complain about everything just to spite MLB.

I saw somewhere that there was a spring training game where the pitch clock wasn't working but since everyone had already adjusted to the pace (in under a week), they played at that pace anyway. So it seems like they are doing just fine. No different than "not letting defensive players spear offensive players" was going to lead to endless roughness penalties. In reality, after like 2 weeks, all the players adjusted and just stopped spearing people.

Players can adapt a lot more than people seem to give them credit for. And I believe these rules already were tested in the minors, so the younger players coming up already will be used to playing that way.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You’re underestimating yourself in how fast you’ll get used to it.

Watching 90’s NBA basketball is painful for some compared to today’s game. Even though that was the “golden era” of Rockets basketball.

raining threes, Rock Block and Nook like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Look, you make some good enough points, although plenty of players have complained about it. But Honestly I’m just sick of this turning into a political debate. I’ve already explained my reasoning and opinion about the rule changes. It is what it is. Like everything else nowadays there’s a certain segment of the population that goes above and beyond to try and get you to subscribe to their way of thinking. Not accusing you of this, but It’s fine that you like it and I don’t.

11. STR8Thugg

I exponentially prefer 90s basketball to the heaping pile of garbage the NBA is today. The NBA is the worst professional sports league in existence, by a mile. As Bob McNair would say, the inmates are running the asylum.

But regardless, I’m not going to hate baseball bc of these changes. A part of me is excited to see something new. I just know myself and the first time this **** screws us over im going to be a petty, condescending prick and **** all over it. If it happens in the playoffs? Oh dude, I’m going nuclear.

Jake Tower likes this.
  12. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

How silly of me, I was hoping to get an update on how our Astros are looking during the early stages of spring training thus far. I accidentally clicked the "Spring Training Thread" for that, totally my fault.

13. Bob Barker 007

Can I just say, I ****ing love watching Yordan Alvarez bat. None of this stepping out of the box, fixing your uniform, adjusting your gloves, smelling your balls, fixing your hair diva bull ****. Just stands in the box and ****in grips it and rips it. That's a real man playing some real ****in baseball right there. Just stands in the box and dares you to ****in throw one over the plate. None of this pansy *** waiting for walks bull ****. Real men hit dingers. Real men spit. Real men scratch their ***holes and make other guys smell it. That's some real ******* baseball right there. ****in love Yordan Alvarez.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I really don't care IF they can adapt. It's still a worse game with DH and shift bans, not to mention preparation time for the players. I know I wiil not convince some that changing everything to have all commercials and no baseball is better.

15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Yordan's legacy will be in his own HANDS. Literally.

raining threes likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

18. Yordan The Great

Today's NBA is what is unwatchable.

19. Yordan The Great

Yeah you're in the deep minority.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Yordan The Great

I didn't get the true essence of your passion with this post.

raining threes and Major like this.