1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas and Rick Higgins -"professional sons/nepotism beneficiaries" jointly hating on Alpi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 27, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So these two guys go back a long way.

For both guys, the main "achievement" in their life is to be "the son of".

We all know Stephen Silas is the son of the late Paul Silas.

What most people probably didn't know is that Rick Higgins is the son of former NBA player Rod Higgins, who played for the Bulls with Michael Jordan in 1982-1986.

Stephen Silas got his first NBA assistant job as an assistant to his father in Charlotte in 2000 at age 27, never having worked a real job except as "assistant executive director of the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA)", a job he undoubtedly only got because of his father's connections as well. After being an assistant with some other teams, he came back to the Bobcats to be daddy's assistant again in 2010, a job he kept until 2018 (even though his father got fired earlier than that).

Rick Higgins was a terrible college basketball player who got a job as "video coordinator" with the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets in 2013, when - surprise - his father Rod Higgins was "President of Basketball Operations" of the Charlotte Bobcats (after having had to give up the GM job in 2011). Rick Higgins kept the job until 2018, just like Stephen Silas.

So from 2013 to 2018, both these "professional sons" who never achieved anything as players themselves and only got their jobs because their fathers hired them, were an assistant coach and video coordinator at the same team.

(At least Kenyon Martin Jr. is a legitimate NBA player in his own right.)

Later, when Silas got the job with the Rockets, he brought his old buddy Rick Higgins in.

Now, why does this all matter?

Here's why - Higgins is basically Silas' mouthpiece. It's like when children talk, you know what the parents think.

Silas doesn't hold back when he singles out Sengun for criticism, in a literally hateful way:

And guess what, this of course trickles down, Higgins talks with the same mean-spirited face of disdain about Sengun:

The guy would have rather bitten off his tongue than to say anything positive at all about Sengun.

Clearly, these two guys work in unison. Silas hates Alpi, this assistant coach goes back 10+ years with Silas and is loyal to Silas, not to the Rockets. It's not a coincidence that he will barely say a positive thing about Alpi either. There are plenty of examples of Silas hating on Alpi quite openly.

And by the way, Mike Batiste is presumably part of that same clique - he was an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornets from 2017-2018, while Silas was an assistant coach there, and Rick Higgins was a video coordinator.

Lionel Hollins was coached by Paul Silas. Stephen Silas said that he would have brought him along in 2016 already, had he gotten the Rockets job back then. I don't know if he goes along with the Alpi hate, but he just seems kind of done with the world anyway. Doesn't exude enthusiasm or energy.

The only ones who historically don't seem to be compromised by being part of that clique appear to be John Lucas and Mahmoud Abdelfattah. It is unclear how they view Alpi, but as far as I know, Alpi has a very good relationship with John Lucas (even though Lucas also didn't give him more minutes in the two games he coached).

But as long as not only the head coach, but also at least 2 of the assistant coaches are quite openly against a young player, what chance does he have?

It must be so frustrating for Alpi to have to deal with these clowns on a daily basis. They keep holding him back.

Silas and his entourage must go. Sooner rather than later.

#1 AroundTheWorld, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    Bo6, Fyreball, hajkov and 28 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Stephen Silas' college stats are nowhere to be found, but this article says:

https://brownbears.com/news/2020/10/30/mens-basketball-stephen-silas-96-named-head-coach-of-the-houston-rockets.aspx#:~:text=Recognized as a an exceptional,career best 19 points vs.

So, Silas averaged about 5 points per game in four years at Brown.

Still better than Higgins:

upload_2023-2-28_1-8-1.png
    After that, it was pretty much straight "ok daddy, please give me a job".

Pretty amazing how these guys talk in such a disrespectful manner about a very talented player like Alpi, singling him out for demeaning criticism at every opportunity.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

They will be fired soon…what a embarrassment

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I think Sengun will be traded before Silas is fired.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The Rockets will not be THAT stupid.

Nook, Caesar, clos4life and 4 others like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

They were dumb enough to hire him in the first place and to keep him around for so long, so I'm not optimistic. Then again, I suppose you could say that it was for the purpose of tanking, but in that case, the tank is done now, so get rid of this bum!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Higgins isn't relevant, haven't heard of his name before this.

Informative.

8. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

Also do not forget silas' reaction when sengun had tds he is like meh i ve much better players to do that like nix . Athough i can not clearly rememberbut he praised nix after that game but i could be wrong.

#8 berkowsk, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    ashleyem, clos4life, albuster and 4 others like this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

higgins is really robin masters

albuster, studogg, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Villainous stuff.

albuster likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Erm... this is all a bit conspiracy theorist and extraordinarily defensive.

I'm first and foremost a Rockets fan.
    A. I don't want Silas coaching next year
    B. I love all our players
    C I can accept that our players DO have weaknesses and things they need to work on

That I think A. does not negate C.
    That I think C. does not negate B.

pmac, O-dawg, Rocket River and 9 others like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a dream one day alpi just barges into rick's office to discuss playin time yellin "c'mon higgy baby"

albuster, Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

isn't that other guy that does the podcasts with gilbert arenas also some nba's son? he seems aite doe, think he played college ball

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Higgins came over from Orlando to join Silas in 2020. He was among the original waves of assistants not replaced.

Hornacek, Diop, and Weaver were replaced by Batiste, Abdelfattah and Lionel Hollins. The fact that Higgins was saved is telling.

Higgins was also appointed to run last year's Summer league. Prior year, Weaver was the Rockets summer head coach.

It does seem like Higgins is favored among the assistants (since he was kept). Out of seniority, if Silas is absent or ejected for specific games, Lucas takes over by default.

If new head coach, outside of maybe Lucas, all the assistants (including Abdelfattah) might be gone.

Last year some of us pushed for Abdelfattah to be on staff. I had one reservation, which now came to light: we probably should have waited on the push. Instead of advocating him to the sinking 3rd year of Silas, we should have waited.... pushed for Abdelfattah as an assistant when the next head coach comes in.

#14 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  15. WestendMassive

I never realised that Stone assembled the assistant coaching staff of the 2010-11 Charlotte Bobcats.

That is either the most egregious tank job in the history of sports or Rafael Stone is about as smart as a rock.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone cold Austin.

17. WestendMassive

[​IMG]

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Racist coaches?

DeBeards, clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post ATW.

Ankara1923 and cml750 like this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

Yep! I told y’all before the season that they didn’t like him. I read their body language last season and during the summer. Nothing personal, they just don’t like what he brings on the court. I’m glad to see that I’m not blind