1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Yordan The Great

So I was watching a Cubs game yesterday and our old buddy Jim DeShaies made reference to a 2021 stat in which the average time for a pitcher to the plate was 18.8 seconds.

I would have thought it was higher than that.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And he said in the interview after that he probably won’t be able to do it as often.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be more interesting to know what the median was. With that number suggesting more than 50% of the work force is taking too long, you can see why a lot of pitchers are in line for major adjusting.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Is there any chatter about Hensley getting any time at SS, or is Dubon set at backup SS?

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the first inning was kind of funny yesterday. There's this competition between Chas and Meyers. Meyers gets up to bat and hits a laser right at a defender, but hard enough to get caught in the guy's webbing so that he couldn't attempt to double Tucker off 1st base. Jake is 0 for 1. Chas gets up, doesn't have a great looking AB and hits a slow dribbler up the line that he is able to beat out for a single. Chas is 1 for 1.

Baseball is a funny game. I know the decision makers don't just look at end results and will give each guy a fair shake, it just struck me as funny.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

If Forrest has a great game today...just a reminder that we were all excited and thought that Forrest was just about to arrive BACK IN 2019.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let us give the glory to Christ and hope he does well today. I'd love to see him ****ing arrive finally, even against ST competition.

9. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Get ready for the Forrest is the savior, if he goes two and strikes out 3 and gives up no runs. Forrest is a bum if he goes 2 and strikes out 1 and gives up two runs.

Gonna be an interesting afternoon on the board.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Forrest about to break his foot off in they ass today! YESSIR!

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even if Whitley does look like he's finally put it together again, they are gonna baby the hell out of him in terms of workload.

Only 40 professional innings total in over 3 years, and he hasn't thrown more than 60 innings since 2017. Despite seemingly being our system for ages he has a grand total of 237 innings for our organization spread across 7 years.

I still don't have any real faith in him, but even if I did he's gonna be a non factor when it comes innings out of our starters this season.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

YULE C.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think everybody here has given up the "Forrest is the savior" notion. We just want him to be a solid mor-backend starter at this point.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Super worried about Yordan’s hand issue

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Whitley’s cap will be somewhere between 80 and 120 ip. If he doesn’t make the opening day rotation (which would only happen if there was another injury) then I would guess they will limit him to 3-4 innings per start in AAA and he will be on a strict pitch count if he is in the majors.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect you are right. However if it was up to me and he's looking great, I would try to squeeze every ounce of greatness out of him as I would not be comfortable it will be there later.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Won't get an argument here. No telling when he's gonna up and decide to do something stupid and/or get hurt

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's former Astros legend Pedro Baez... I think this is the reel that convince them to sign him!

20. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

"Hear me out, Mr. Crane. Pedro takes so long between pitches, that batter will likely fall asleep. Easy strikeout."

Nick likes this.