1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If it is really that big of a deal and they are serious about resigning him, then one would think it wouldn’t be that hard to make up the difference in a contract extension.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Finding an exact comp is hard. Usually players that have a similar arc have success in the big leagues first, then falter and revive their career. It’s almost always a result of substance abuse or gambling.

the closest example I can think of would be Josh Hamilton. Also to a lesser extent Mark Appel comes fo mind.

It’s not impossible but it is very rare - then again it is rare for a pitcher to have the early success Whitley did and then to decide to completely change his mechanics when the best pitching coach in baseball begs him not to.

the shark and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

4. Major

Major Member

Yeah - and if Tucker doesn't take it personally, it's no big deal. But in the case of Burnes, it seems like it just pissed him off and maybe burned some bridges where he simply has less interest in staying with the team. Athletes aren't emotionless robots. Lots of players go through arbitration, lose, and come out OK on the other side - hopefully Tucker is one of them. But we now have at least one high profile example of that not being the case - that's always been the concern with the ugly arbitration process where a team has to talk about all the negatives of its player.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It seems the biggest issue he had is that they blamed him for not making the playoffs. For one, I have a hard time believing they actually were that blunt about it, or had reason to blame him for that. Seems like he is being sensitive and took some things personally. But regardless, I especially have a hard time believing that the Astros said anything remotely close to that about Tucker. Probably more along the lines of his OPS and WAR compared to other arbitration players within the same time frame, etc.

Also, if MIL offered him a fair deal now I have a hard time believing he wouldn't take it. I think this is way, way, way overplayed. It's about the bottom line.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hopefully him and Dana Brown having a tight relationship will allow Dana to talk him out of this stupid s**t instead of having to wait until October to play our best teams.

The Beard, Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Prior to Brown joining the Astros, they were already high on him.

I always have felt it was odd that he wasn’t viewed as a top 10 pick in his draft class.

He has only been focused on hitting and not pitching the last two years. He has the quickest bat in his class. He makes a high percentage of contact and has shown the ability to go the other way…. He has plus speed, he has an excellent second step and is a good athlete. He has a cannon in centerfield and had a lot of actual success.

I know he is small at 5’9” and has never used a wood bat, but even if he doesn’t develop power, he is a CFer and would be quite valuable.

If he does develop power, which is quite possible because of the bat speed, he can be a star.

He is basically Brett Phillips, if Phillips made good contact - and that’s a really good player.

He will be 22 this year and if he doesn’t at least end the year in AAA, I will be a little disappointed. He has all the qualities of a fast track guy.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think (hope) Brown is better at Managing People than some others. His comments seem to indicate he had discussed the emotions of the arbitration process with Tucker and his agent and feels he will keep it strictly business. When dealing with people, one size doesn't fit all.

He seems to be saying the right things in the press, no matter what is said at the bargaining table.

Nook likes this.
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

In Tucker's case there was no reason to talk about anything but money. His agent asked for far too much and I am certain that pointing that out was all it took to win out. Being forced to face that reality may make him more amenable to a reasonable extension. The outfield depth in the Astros system makes paying out a huge extension for a right fielder a very foolish move.

12. Screaming Fist

I like this Chandler place ignores the fact that Maldy is probably worse defensively now than he is offensively as a catcher. I guess the Astros aren’t paying for that either. The things he brings to the table do not require him to catch the majority of the games during the season.

Also, doesn’t his approach of “I’m either the guy or I’m out” belie the whole team leader/mentor schtick? He cares so much about these pitchers but apparently not enough to swallow a slice of humble pie and play as a backup?

#9872 Screaming Fist, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    ryan_98, Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Over under on MM hitting under .165?

14. Major

Major Member

Sure - in theory that's true. But again, people are not robots. By most reports, the Astros' screwing with Springer's service time a rookie persisted as a problem for his 7 years here, and soured him on both extensions and interest in staying as a free agent. The whole scandal added to that so it's unclear what would have happened if not for that, but it does appear to have played a role in his lack of interest in staying. Correa seemed pretty pissed as his negotiations and didn't give the Astros a chance to match Minnesota's offer last year. These things happen with human beings.

That said, from tallanvor's post, it seems like Tucker didn't take this personally, so that's good.

15. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

The Astros are still World Series champs, the boys are back in uniform and FOCO still hasn't shipped all my WS stuff I ordered in November. All seems right with the world. :)

awc713, Stoic Rob, IBTL and 1 other person like this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

can't pay every star we develop, Tucker seems like one they will let go

IBTL likes this.
  17. CinematicFusion

18. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Well that sucks.

#9878 Jose Cuervo, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    CinematicFusion likes this.
  19. Tomstro