1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas: “I don’t run any plays for Jabari”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 15, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U run plays to make life easier for your rookie so he can gain his confidence.
    Not setting up any plays for Smith, a person u drafted 3rd is just plain incompetence

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I mean... it's a plain lie from Silas.

Go back and watch some games from a couple of months ago. Back to back games, on the first play of the game, they run a pin down screen where Jabari cuts from low to high and gets fed the ball for a jumpshot.

So he ran at least one play for him, twice.

BigMaloe, SamFisher, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I’d have probably kept this one to myself

this is like the people who randomly admit they shower like twice a week and don’t believe in deodorant

4. PhiSlammaJamma

We are in a development stage. He should be running plays for him so he can learn. War Games. Once the big 2 have developed, then you can start running plays for the best matchup.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You don’t run plays for your #3 pick that in college was effective shooter when the offense revolved around him? Or you don’t have any desire to set him up for corner threes?

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

But but accountability.

.... or not.

HardenReturns likes this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Silas was running plays for guys like EG and Garry Bird but none for your 6' 11" power forward who has a shorter guy on him half the time? o_O

Jabari needs those plays to develop his post game, Silas is a joke.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The issue is that this failure isn't necessarily just in the short term.

These are young players learning bad habits and being told things that are not likely true long term, when it comes to role, what is expected of them as professionals and what it takes to win.

The reality is that having a GM and HC telling Porter that he is the leader of the team, and giving him the keys to the team is a disaster. How likely is he in the future to accept that the style of play he has learned isn't going to work. He will be expected to be more efficient and more of a role player long term. He hasn't been helped at all in that regard.

Jalen Green has been provided no structure, they haven't held him accountable at all for his play or mistakes. They haven't forced him to defend or make players. He has been given a completely blank slate. Perhaps he is still young enough, that they can reign him in - lets hope so. Also, the practive habits have been mediocre this year from what I have been told.

Sengun has had to force himself into the plans of Silas. He still has had to emphasize certain parts of his game, and hasn't been able to work on other parts of his game because it isn't what Silas wants.

No one on the team has had their strengths maximized by the head coach. It sounds like hyperbole but literally every player of any significance has been done a disservice by the head coach.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

look at it this way before smith shot percentage became the way they did without any plays being set up for him by his own coach, do u think the numbers would have been different if we had set plays for him from the very beginning?

your stance is basically a teacher failing a student by not teaching him anything whatsoever the first quarter and using the poor kid's grades as justification to not teach him the rest of the year.

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Probably designed by an assistant coach.

HardenReturns and DrNuegebauer like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - Silas should be held accountable for not putting his players in positions to succeed or utilize their strengths....... but he won't be. He will likely be fired at the end of the season as a scapegoat by the GM - who put most of this mess together.

Long term, Stone better hope the Rockets get the #1 or #2 pick in this draft.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But at least Stone can say he put this mess together, and hired a dud coach, in order to be bad.
    His saving grace is that he can turn around and hire a competent coach for 2023/24 and use the cap space to bring in some vets.

It's "the process" without calling it by name.
    Mind you, that didn't work out for Hinkie in the end...

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't even have a problem with the Rockets tanking for 3 seasons. I get that the Sixers were punished by the league for being so open about it.

The problem I have is that the roster construction by the GM has been at best mediocre, that the coaching has been bad and that no one is held accountable.

The Thunder have tanked as well, but their young players have been well coached, their roster construction at least has a purpose and they have improved in basic fundamentals.

Having said all that, I am sure that Fertitta will scold Stone..... Stone will in turn blame Silas....... Silas will be fired and Stone will live for at least another year. Hell, if the Rockets get Wemby or Henderson in the draft, Stone may even get an extension.

Some of it has been bad luck, the Rockets did not have any franchise players on the board when they picked #2 and #3, but the front office has also really not maximized what they have had as well.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Jabari's strength was supposed to be shooting ..... he's getting a high volume of open / wide open shots thru the flow of the offense.

How's that not putting his player in a position to succeed??.... wait a minute, excuses for players sucking ass.

So much for holding the right person accountable, it's always someone else's fault.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Who drafted Jabari Smith?

Who is coaching Jabari Smith?

As far as using Jabari properly, they never have him come off curls or get him set up in the spots that he did in college.

Having said that, Jabari hasn't shot well this year at all.... and I haven't really seen the coach hold him responsible for that.... he still plays heavy minutes and has about the same autonomy that he had to start the season with.

WestendMassive likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man I'm not sure why you are so confident in Green not being a potential franchise player. I'm assuming Mobley was your choice? I mean you think Green is 2 inches shorter than a dude listed at 6'5". Maybe you just are basing Green's potential on some weird measurements?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I see what people like Corrosion are saying

Silas could be running play after play for Jabari, and he’d still be out there building entire civilizations with his bricks

still, it’s good to have some structure and an idea of where your shot attempts are gonna come from instead of random chucking throughout the game

WestendMassive, Nook and DatRocketFan like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U clearly do not understand the benefit of having coach design plays that makes a rookie life easier. Right now his greatest strength is shooting the 3 at the right corner yet he only has 27 shots in that area. Due to this free flowing offense Smith can never tell when he's gonna get the chance to take a shot or gets to choose where he's most comfortable shooting.

Y2JT likes this.
  19. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

it's obvious Silas wants to be fired but doesn't want to resign and Stone is so committed to tanking he won't fire Silas until the offseason

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

if was he was setup to fail then the Rockets made the wrong pick. A guy that was supposed to be a lights out shooter and is 6'10 shouldn't fail just because plays are not being run for him. Jabari was supposed to be a guy that could succeed in any system because of his shooting and defense.

HardenReturns, jcmoon and Corrosion like this.