1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

LOL!

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeter has always given the Astros success a lot of credit. He likely sees plenty of what made those Yankees teams' great being emulated by this current run.

I just don't think he's particularly all that interesting to listen to... much like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird would make pretty dull analysts, but nobody questions their competitive desire and knowledge of the game.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The little quirk I have learned with the new bases is the back of the 1st and 3rd bases drawn at 90 degrees intersect not at the back of 2nd base which I would have expected, but to the CENTER of 2nd base. So the diamond isn't quite square and apparently never has been.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

In particular, one of the game’s most unique deliveries technically runs afoul of the rule. Astros right-hander Luis Garcia famously “rocks the baby,” swinging his arms and taking steps forward and backward before raising his leg and moving down the mound, mechanics he favors (and that he developed on his own) purely for their repeatability. Now, he will have to adjust or face being frequently called for an automatic ball.

Would a Garcia who doesn’t rock the baby be as fun to watch? Could this be an instance of MLB needlessly legislating out the very idiosyncrasies that make the game rich and textured? Sword said the league has tried to keep that question in mind. There are plenty of funky deliveries — those favored by Nestor Cortes Jr. and Johnny Cueto come to mind — that are legal despite their wackiness, he said. As for those that aren’t?

“We just encourage funky pitchers to be funky,” Sword said, “within the rules.”

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Luis Garcia's wonderfully quirky delivery now is (and technically always was) illegal.

...I now await the fake outrage from the Dodgers and Yankees spurred on by the Athletic again.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm going to miss Garcia's delivery, and the way snowflakes just couldn't handle it.

8. lnchan

Just another excuse for Dodger and Yankee fans to claim the Astros were cheating... we'll no hit them to prove a point.

The Beard likes this.
  9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would they feel the need to make what Garcia does illegal (either now or previously)? Is it because they think it makes it harder for hitters to pick up the ball? Maybe they think it is an issue with runners on base? I understand making rules, I just don't get what was the thinking behind that one.

crose likes this.
  10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I *think* that's it's always technically been a balk since he lifts his right foot off the rubber, but it wasn't ever called before. But if they're cracking down on balks, I guess they can't ignore it anymore?

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yeah they never did call it but I remember the 3b ump did call it once and he got into an argument (or no argument but was confused). I think Blum said every inning(or start of a game) he would usually talk to the 3b ump to let him know what he's doing.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB instituted a pitch clock in which they stop the clock at the start of the windup. If they let Garcia keep doing what he's doing, other pitchers might do it (or even more back and forth) to buy time.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I feel bad that Montas is hurt. Yankees fans are likely 1 starting pitcher injury from full melt down prior to the season.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

15. lnchan

I said it before... fans shouldn't use injuries as an excuse when you get injury prone players...

16. Major

Major Member

Since there was a lot of confusion about this earlier, here's what the new base structure looks like:

[​IMG]

17. HeyBudLetsParty

Can someone explain to me what the plan is after 1st failed pickoff? Seems like the batter would be able to take an infinite lead and easily be able to swipe. Are you allowed to attempt another one, that if failed the runner can take the base?

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No restrictions on 2nd pick off.

If 3rd pickoff does not result in an out, it acts like a balk.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would think even after the 2nd failed pickoff that if the runner takes a ridiculously huge lead, then pitcher would still perform a pickoff. If there is no way for them to get back to the base before the throw, then you make that throw and catch them in a rundown (which is almost always successful). I would say that after that 2nd failed pickoff that runners will probably extend that lead off the base by a good 2-3 feet knowing that the pitcher will be very reticent to attempt a pickoff. It will be interesting to see how the teams handle it, but I bet pickoffs are practiced a good deal more this spring training than they have been in previous years.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is there a rule on time between top or bottom of innings? Could these rules just be used to add more commercials and the game still lasts as long? Cynical of me, but as a baseball fan I hate rules to “shorten the game”. I am in favor of the one change they are not making and that is robot strikes and balls.

Marshall Bryant likes this.