1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its time to discuss trading Jalen Green while he's still worth a damn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Balldon'tlie, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Dame would cost us Alpi, Tari, KPj, TyTy or Jaygup and lots of draft capital. You only do that if you win the Wemby sweepstakes and Stone decides Bari fits better with Wemby long term and Alpi won't fit any longer and of course he wants to win now.
    Doubt Dame would complain and just ball. Thats one of the only things I've liked about him so far, otherwise I've thought he's been overrated for a long time.

2. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

League-wide efficiency was much lower even just a few years ago. Jalen's 53% TS is 5 pts below league average. Need to adjust for that when comparing to guys like Booker, Beal, or Kobe.

And why just compare to those guys? How much different do Jalen's stats look to 2nd year Jordan Poole, or Tyler Herro, or RJ Barrett, or age 22 Anfernee Simons. Even Coby White or Brandon Knight. Jalen has mostly higher volume due to higher minutes, but same per 36, on lower efficiency compared to league average.

And his scoring statline is his best argument; the rest of his game is so unpromising. He's basically the worst possible version of a 22 ppg on 53% TS guard: one of the worst defenders in the league, can't bring the ball up, no playmaking, poor body language, narrow shoulders, weak base, and small hands.

Trade him while he still has some shine in the league. If you can package him, our pick, and the Clippers pick to move up for Scoot if we're not top two, you do it instantly.

tycoonchip, Sengoat28 and SamFisher like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I pretty much agree with your take here .... But the question has to be asked: what happens if he isn't worthy of that extension? You lose any value he might have "Right Now" waiting to find out ..... and then he is a confirmed bust.
    In that case, should you have moved on earlier? Or is banking on that potential that was never realized the proper course of action??

Think about how CF was talking about KPJ a year or so back " he's the youngest to ever .... 50 , tripple double .... bla bla."
    Today we couldn't get rid of him fast enough for some.

kjayp likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why do we need to do all of this "guy as X years old" comparable stuff.

There's enough of JALEN GREEN AS JALEN GREEN material out there for us to figure out what he is and guess where he's going.

Right now he's the epitome of a volume scorer with bad/terrible efficiency relative to his own era, not much of a passer, not a good ball protector, not a great shooter, and seems good at beating his man but bad at finishing regardless of where he's shooting from. On defense he's trash (like maybe the whole team, so free pass there)

it really doesn't matter at all what Shea did last year or Bradley Beal did 10 years ago.

Doesn't seem like Green is on the level of the on ball perimeter beasts of this era like Morant or Donovan Mitchell or name whoever you like.

Seems like not really enough to build a team around at present - seems a lot more like a bench guy who can provide instant offense and score a bunch in a pinch when needed.

But, happy to be proven wrong.

B-Bob, Sengoat28 and Corrosion like this.
  5. maj21

maj21 Member

You’re even more of an idiot. You wanna trade Jalen and a pick for scoot? He’s not even a proven player and very well could be a bust. If you trade Jalen and assets, it needs to be for someone established. That’s crazy lol

6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

First priority for this organization is acquiring, developing, or drafting a guy who can be a #1 for a contending team, and is on our timeline (i.e. 26 or younger). There are maybe 20-25 of those players in the world.

We don't have one right now. None of the established ones in the NBA seem available in a trade, except maybe Trae, and he's questionable.

Those kind of players are almost always obvious within their first couple years or even before they're in the league. You don't start showing that potential after year 2 or 3, except on rare occasions.

There are two in this draft, that's our best avenue to get one. Wemby is the best prospect since LeBron, and Scoot is the best guard prospect in at least the last 10 years. If trading Jalen is the path to do that, you do it 10 out of 10 times.

7. maj21

maj21 Member

Sure lol

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

When u get rid of assets, generally u trade for known players. Sacrificing green and picks for Scoot an unknown player is just asking to get fired.
    If u were a gm u wouldn't risk your job security for such a risky trade

maj21 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All good points. We’re kind of in a tough spot. On one hand Jalen was the most raw of the top prospects and was always gonna take at least 2 years to see what you have. You definitely want to see some improvement these last 26 games, and u need to see a significant jump early next season. Given the likelihood of a new coach, and his potential, you want to see him at least up to next season’s trade deadline before you move him. But I agree that we really should be ready to move him if we don’t see that leap next season.

But I don’t think Jalen and the clips pick swap for Scoot is crazy if our scouts think Scoot is a better prospect.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Wrong and Strong! Wow.
    Kobe was an All-Star in his second season.

bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

that is always the question - when to pull the trigger...

i was just lamenting to someone that if only when Harden & CP3 were at odds - we had kept CP3 and dealt Harden (while his value was high, no fat suit... lol) what treasure trove of young talent could we have garnered? that CP3 coulda directed... ehh.. hindsight is always 20/20... lol

i mean id certainly listen to any offers - nobody on our roster is untouchable - for the right price... i'm certainly willing to sell high (for the right assets) - but i'm not ready to sell low... lol

hakeem94 and Corrosion like this.
  12. Moahst

Moahst Member

Stephen Silas doesn't run much of an offense but I think one of the reasons for that is Jalen wouldn't know how to operate in one. He's being given the keys to the kingdom. All the shots. All the possessions he wants. ****, Silas benched Sengun at the start of the season just to give Jalen a better pick and roll partner. I like Jalen Green, but he's not a smart basketball player. And while I don't expect him to "bust" he's certainly not ever going to be the first option on a contending team.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Silas benched sengun to allow kpj to have his lob threat. Green actually has chemistry with sengun in the pick and roll.

A youngster like green who clearly needs more polishing needs a coach that actually coach not ones that just gives him heavy mins and a Green light to shoot.

It's remains to b seen if green can become the primary option on a contending team, but expecting a young shooting guard to become a star while lacking a real coach/pg is just setting yourself up for disappointment

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

just watched memphis boston, jalen green could totally play like ja morant, rarely ever fires the 3 and constantly attacks the rim...lyups plus floaters....

too bad his shot selection is terrible and has such a quick trigger mentality when he could thrive playing this style

15. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we gonna ruin a lot of senguns potential trying to salvage what can be salvaged out of green...we are already 2 years late in developing sengun,

dont forget tari and the culture
    our entire team is suffering all around because all goods things have to be hold back, toned down and postponed so that jalen can shine a little...
    less is more!

Sengoat28 likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. But it's also true that Kobe wasn't a starter in his second year and only played 26 mpg. He was voted to the ASG by fans only because he's an exciting prodigy. The Lakers hype machine also helped.

To be fair to Kobe, he was much more efficient and showed much better basketball IQ than Green. To be fair to Green, Kobe was playing on a very good team with competent coaching.

xaos likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

a lot of jumping to conclusions here!
    We already have the franchise and his name is ALPEREN SENGUN

He is better than Trae Young, better than Victor Wembanyana and better than the new Scoot!
    Go learn some basketball before you speak again rookie!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Sengun alone is better than Dame and to add so much other assets just for Dame would be is insane. But I would approve it. Cause Sengun deserves better than this dumpster fire.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The more I watch, the more I think TyTy could be our PG solution, especially if his new coach understands and he understands that his main job most of the time is to safely dribble the ball up and then hand it to Alpi initially. Green would also benefit from that.

I agree with a lot of your posts, but I think Sengun and Green can complement each other very well.

The organization just needs to understand that Sengun is our Jokic and Green our Murray (hopefully a more explosive and higher-scoring version) - it's not like Michael Jordan and Luc Longley (but that's how Silas has been treating it).

The ball should almost always run through Sengun - Green will benefit.

Sengun is the Batman. Green is the Robin.

Once the organization finally realizes that and we have a coach who prioritizes accordingly, we will start winning.

Everyone will benefit.