1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Keith Laws lack of professionalism and objectivity in regard to us has long since passed embarrassing. He mentions Pena and Brown like he didn't think they were non prospects 2 years ago, and still thinks Brown won't do much.

2. Buck Turgidson

"Keith Law is an idiot" -- quote from Keith Law's boss in MLB, after Keith Law spent 1(plus?) season trying to be an actual baseball person in a front office.

He rapidly quit and went back to his talent-level job as a sh!tposting quasi-journalist.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d have zero concern about burning his last option. It’s good for the entire year. Send him down to the minors in 2024 seems pretty inconceivable to me (outside of rehab which is permissible)

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I want this to be a real public quote. Is it, or did you just make it up?

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Who would have thought that player development was more important than predicting future potential. Some people are focused on the wrong things and the Astros are the best at the right things.

vince and punkoholic like this.
  6. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

We whiffed on Bukauskas and Beer?!? They were good prospects who led the trade for Grienke. It sounds more like the D-Backs whiffed on them, not us.

Qan, vince, The Beard and 9 others like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

I remember after that trade there were some Astros fans saying the Astros got ripped off as Beer was going to surely hit in the majors. In retrospect it was a pretty damn shrewd trade that cashed out those prospects just as they were peaking in trade value.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bukauskas ended up busting. But Beer’s career still has life; ZIPS projects him to be an above average MLB hitter (110 wRC+). A 5-6 year MLB career as a fringey 1B/DH (something like a slightly better Colin Moran) isn’t bad for a guy taken at the very back of the 1st round.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

The called third strike against Stanton was one of the most clutch pitches of recent memory. Just stomped a very dangerous hitter in a key situation.

noppeper and Htown Legend like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros scouts didn't whiff on Whitley, they correctly identified an elite talent. Ultimately health and a 10 cent brain may prevent him from ever succeeding, but the scouting was absolutely on point.

The Beard, STR8Thugg, rockbox and 4 others like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Astros are pretty good at both. Despite the neigh sayers, the Astros a pretty good track record with our draft picks and no team evaluated and developed better than us proven by our sustained success.

[​IMG]

STR8Thugg, RKREBORN, jim1961 and 4 others like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I hope deriding me bring you pleasure. It's no skin off my nose. I pity those who are only comfortable in an echo chamber.

I've been taking grief for my extensive vocabulary for as far back as I can remember. But I'm not trying to impress anyone. It's just my natural state. I had intelligent parents who used all their vocabulary amd I just picked it up. Some of it is dated though.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They have the pitcher whisperer now, so maybe they learned acquiring talent only gets you half way there. You must develop the talent you get.

#9653 Marshall Bryant, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Umm...Rojas has been really good lately. I'd guess the Diamondbacks are going to win the total WAR easily from that deal even with the other guys producing negative value.

I was really high on Beer and Rojas. I was higher on Bukaskis prior to the season as he looked real good in ST that year. I'll say I was wrong on Beer. I wasn't expecting him to be a star, but just a guy with an wRC+ around 120 which would make him playable at first so money could be spent elsewhere.

#9654 Joe Joe, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Verifying that you are not drafting a guy with a 10 cent brain may be difficult but it is just as important as any other aspect of scouting.

jim1961 likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We should go back to only drafting MENSA members.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just avoid stupid and lazy.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sounds like we need scouts that can spot 10 cent brains :D

rockbox likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All indicators had him as elite until he moved up to AAA in 2019, got busted for drugs, and then got injured. The kid just didn't know how to handle adversity like the poor kids from Latin America.

20. Yordan The Great

Greinke 6 shutout innings in game 7 of the WS. A great bullpen outing away from being an immortal hero in Houston.

Yeah we did alright in that deal.