1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by duluth111222, Feb 9, 2023.

?

How do you grade Stone's trade deadline deals?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. B-

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. C

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  8. F

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Borrowed the great summary from @napalm06.

My grade a solid B+: nothing earth shattering. But Gordon is finally gone. Two years too late. But better than never. I'll miss the fun-o-meter though. Also opened up minutes for JGup and Garuba who are both worth developing/keeping more than the lob threat and Gary Bird.

The pick swap is worth more than a very late FRP as well IMO.

burlesk, Corrosion, napalm06 and 4 others like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

B+. Nothing crazy, but decent value that could become great value if the Clippers fall apart.

3. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

we got frank the mother fu^%^$# tank
    good job stone, a holiday is due

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Operation Get Wemby is a go.

B+

groovemachine and napalm06 like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

B-

Freed up playing time.
    Pruned the roster tree a tiny bit.
    Kept the tank going for the reminder of the season
    Lot of cap space next year and forward

#flexibilitydeadline

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have given Stone a B.

groovemachine likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Why are the Rockets sending out two second round picks? Which team is receiving them?

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is tough because I don’t want Stone’s historically poor trade deadline performances to skew an objective grade.

let’s start with the EG trade. I get that late 1st rounders don’t hold a lot of value to us in terms of actually using those draft picks, but I am convinced that Stone is not good at bundling assets to make trades. Other GMs use first round picks to make trades. We for some reason don’t do that. So yes I’d hope that getting another late first rounder and bundling that with the buck pick, could net us a better pick this year or a future pick. That’s the best we could hope for.

so, Is that basically what we accomplished with the clippers pick swap? We’ll see. If the clippers continue to win, the swap will likely only be a few picks better that what we had. But the chance that something could go wrong in LA and the low protection on the pick swap (top 6 protected, not top 9), certainly means it’s possible to get a pick in the teens vs the 20’s which is significant. I’m betting the former, so I’m not that impressed with this move. It’s not bad, but it’s not great. The biggest plus is the minutes that are now freed up for other players. I’m rating this move a C+

the Bruno Gary Bird for two 2nd rounders deal was great. Obviously two 2nd rounders isn’t hugely significant, but the players we sent out were actually not rotation worthy and we’re taking playing time from better prospects. This was a no brainer trade; I’m giving it an A

I wish we had done more at the deadline, but we did what we had to do. Overall I give it a B-

#8 Aruba77, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    thekad, Williamson and duluth111222 like this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I went B- / TBD depending on what mediocre free agent we blow our money this summer

It was more than I expected and more than what I thought Stone was capable of after the last two years tbh

I do want to see TyTy play more than nix to finish the year but that prob won’t happen since Stone loves his “finds”

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

C

he did nothing special

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Other teams are trading for kevin durant but stone gets a B+ for doing nothing

Only on clutchfans

ak99999, Nook and Reeko like this.
  13. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Thought we’re receiving two 2nds from Hawks?

15. Nook

Nook Member

C-

The Gordon trade was mediocre.

At least they got a couple of 2nds.

16. MystikArkitect

Got rid of Gordon, Lob Threat and Moonshine. So I guess thats good. We have a bunch of cap space to throw at....God only knows.

Guessing we don't sign anyone significant this off-season so Bubba Gump can some money and blame it on there not being anything of value or some ****.

Gave them a B- but graded on a curve.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I was not happy and disappointed but no worries. I know you guys are happy with all the 2nd rounders and swaps to get more 19 year olds. We still have Tate, who cannot shoot, not a starter and short for his position. We still have Martin who is not a starter, not a shooter and not a elite defender. Martin is going to look for a new contract or his Daddy will be looking for a new contract that is not team friendly. They will be looking for 15 millions at least. We are just keep kicking the can down the road, so we will wait. I and everybody on this Forum hope we get the 1st or 2nd pick of this draft if not he have serious problems. Honestly, other than the 1st or 2nd picks these draft prospect are just guys. We need shooters! However I will wait for Stone’s Hope.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Who gives a F

in the poll? I’m curious to know what he/she expected to see at the deadline.

burlesk likes this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A+ - Grading the deadline, how could it be anything else when considering BKN shipping out KD & Kyrie...We also cleared more capspace, got the swap, rid ourselves of some excess baggage, and picked up 2nd rounders.

20. thekad

thekad Member

C+. Took an educated gamble that the Clips/OKC pick will be reasonably higher than the Bucks pick, which is basically the equivalent of a first rounder in the 20s. A couple seconds? Meh.

Brooklyn continues their March toward mediocrity, making the BKN picks just as mediocre as the non-delusional imagined they would be.

The worst team in the league (three years running) should be way more aggressive in building assets, but I’m sure Stone won’t miss this opportunity to self-promote.