1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Salman Rushdie attacked / stabbed on stage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 12, 2022.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I added a clarification to my comment. It appears the "mocking" she was responding to was skepticism from some Muslims over Hindu claims that a Shiva Lingam structure was found on the grounds of the mosque (as evidence of their claims that a Hindu temple used to be there and was demolished). Some are dismissing these findings as a "fountain" that is being mistaken for a Shiva Lingam.

These conflicts always seem to start with something small and dumb, and then get blown out of proportion by ideologues on both sides.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

every major religion on earth has murdered in God's name

Bad take.

Buddhist is a major religion and folks don't murder in "God's name".

I personally feel that
    Buddhism is a chill religion compared to the others.

There isn't a main honcho like the pope to force a holy war.

No extremist group or terrorists currently forcing their Buddhist beliefs onto others.

There really haven't been any historical events of violence in the name of Buddhism.

There really isn't a God.

If u were implying something else, carry on and ignore me but don't group every major religion like that to prove whatever point u were trying to make.

I would say it was a lazy take at least but I could b out of line since I am bias for my religion.

3. durvasa

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard his new book's pretty good - but some red pill brain genius on the internet told me books are a waste of time and i can just listen to them while pounding out burpees.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's still BS that a fatwa for a book that is neither non-fiction nor intentionally heretical to Islam is declared by some cleric who never read it and has never since been lifted.

At that point, these clerics would rather inflict fear (low grade terror) than to admit they're ****ed up losers.

So we got what we got with this attack because no one is gonna say or do anything about it.

6. durvasa

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Religious leaders are only in power cause the people are brainwashed to believe they have power

technology will free their minds

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Religion is a cancer to humanity.

DD

9. durvasa

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately Buddhism isn't immune from sectarian violence either. Buddhist in Myanmar have been committing genocide on Muslims in Myanmar. A Buddhist monks is one of the leaders of that. Tibetan Buddhist kingdoms frequently suppressed over religions. Even in modern times rival Buddhist temples have fougth each other.

There is a reason why the Zen (Ch'an) temple of Shaolin developed their own Kung Fu.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Yes, and with atheism you spawn cults of personality like Mao or N. Korea's Kim family.

China's Cultural Revolution went one further and uprooted all forms of religion and tradition all while encouraging families to rat out and pit against each other.

Humans can be shitty beasts, and it can't be denied that religion has been used as a grounding influence for many people.

In the US, we're in the middle of a post-modern demolition of previous secular norms that were rooted heavily on Judeo-Christian values. I don't feel great nor enlightened about it. Seems the more humanistic elements were thrown out or used a la carte by both sides to make the other look uglier and evil than they really are.

Capitalistic nihilism ftfw. Your scoreboard is your bank account.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in this country, politics = religion for many, many people.

13. Invisible Fan

Yes, and it's scary. Families being torn or members being disowned for their religious or political views.

I don't see how atheism or secularism would cure that in our current cultural context.

14. basso

Supporting Member

in my experience, politics fills that role for the atheist/secularist community.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're pretty adamant in your support of political views. Do you believe that about yourself? I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing

16. basso

Supporting Member

my political views are strongly held, but all over the place ideologically, and I don't worship at the altar of one tribe or party.ent is

appearances #onhere notwithstanding.

to the extent it exists, my overriding theological bent is a distaste for condescension. hence, my distaste for the current iteration of the Democratic Party.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was this satire?