1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire DeMeco Ryans as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 31, 2023.

?

Do you like the hire of DeMeco Ryans?

This poll will close on Jan 31, 2025 at 3:26 PM.
  1. YES

97.1%
  2. NO

2.9%
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Anything new?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Truth? Saving face? I don't think we will ever know what really happened and honestly I don't care about the Broncos. We got Meco and that's all that matters to me.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I refuse to believe that a defensive-minded coach like Joseph wouldn't be able to pick up the philosophies that Ryans wants to run in Houston, and coach them up. DJ is acting like Ryans and Joseph speak two different languages, where Joseph wouldn't be able to understand what nuances Ryans wants to include in his scheme. Give me a break. If DeMeco likes VJ, and thinks they'd have a good working chemistry, then there shouldn't be anything stopping Ryans from hiring him. The more articles, interviews, and tweets I see from DJ, the more I think he has no clue what he's talking about.

J.R. likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

#467 J.R., Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    mikol13, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Slowik most likely and Needs more experience on the staff because everybody is so young and new

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

so no lol

charlieaustin, Fiah and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

THANK YEW GARY. MISS YEW GARY.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait a minute. So they are close to hiring a guy with no OC experience? Here we go! Its Josh McCown all over again.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Qan

Qan Member

They did hire a guy with no HC experience after all.

Omihall23 likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As I said early in the thread, the best thing about this hire is that it's not some retread, and represents a vision towards the future.

The thing about the last few hires is that even though we knew we had a bad team, there was no vision as to how you would fix it. Hiring a bunch of old guard head coaches represents nothing but wallowing in mediocrity. Hiring a young up and coming coach that can grow with your team represents hope. Someone that other teams coveted.

That can't be understated. From a fan standpoint as well as a player standpoint. From attracting free agents, to developing what we have. This team finally feels like it's in the initial stages of an actual rebuild, instead of floundering into the abyss.

As a fan, I'm no longer despondent about the team. That's all they needed to do two years ago or even a year ago. A year ago many of us were clamoring for this hire. We didn't think it was possible.

Now, you could convince me of anything and I'd be fine with it. Yes, I would like a quarterback in the first round because it represents more of that forward thinking vision, but I'd be okay with a lot of things. Tell me you want to spend heavy on defense in the draft? Cool, let's build the defense like the niners. Tell me you want to take a quarterback early ? Cool, I trust you. Tell me you want to demote Pep Hamilton to quarterback coach and continue to roll with Davis Mills? I guess I could give him one more year, as long as you pledge to make a splash in the draft next year with a quarterback.

I honestly think the worst case scenario would be to sign a quarterback that costs a lot of money, like a Derek Carr. Either way, I think the future is bright. It's a good time to be a fan. Just wish they would have done this a year or two ago.

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is how most OCs start their career. If you’re an OC with experience and you’re available, it’s most likely because you didn’t do a great job. That’s why Pep Hamilton was available.

Major, red5rocket, DonnyMost and 4 others like this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

+1

For the first time in a long time I both A) like (or at least don't hate) the people involved with the team and B) anticipate/expect improvement.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But that's not why Bienemy is available. All the Texans have to do is sit and wait for Eric to finish work.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Whoa, a black guy saying Culley and Lovie knew they weren’t long term… the blasphemy. Anyways, it’s good to see some media types acknowledging we are moving forward and hopefully got it right finally. Really hope we can get the OC right and hit the ground running.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

David Culley. Lovie Smith. Flirting with Josh McCown. This, by itself, is fireable, IMO. Extending Bradin Cooks. Not trading Brandin Cooks. Two years of nothing in free agency. Stingley over Gardner. (A little softer but bears mentioning): Metchie over Pickens. (Interestingly, the Pats also missed on Pickens, and, like, every other WR the past 20 years. He learned from the best!)

There's not a single player on this roster that Caserio has acquired who would rank among the top 10-15 players at their position, other than maybe Pierce, by far the easiest position to land someone in that top 15 range because no other team treats RB as a priority, and certainly not as a building block of a rebuild.

Major, magman and mikol13 like this.