1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was quite clear in the Toronto game that all they cared about was to deny Alpi the ball. They held and fouled him all game long. They knew he is the only guy they had to be worried about.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL at vic tryin to ride Alpe's coattails

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think we’re witnessing a LEAP. The aggression, the confidence, the composure speaks SUPERSTAR.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'll call him Superstar once he wills us to wins. I think he could do that now already, but Silas would have to commit to giving him the ball like gave it to KPJ.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not a leap just getting normal playing time consistently...he still has only ever played 10 FULL GAMES (of 35 minutes) in his entire career!!! LOOL

to me EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM spoke superstar from day 1 of summer league...(even the highlights from turkish league but there was a concern if it will translate to NBA)...he had a hardenesque foul drawing ability in that summer league and continued the same through the entire first season where he had FTr higher than NIKOLA JOKIC in his MVP years

EVEN DEFENSE... i saw beautiful flashes and great effort, playing defense with enthusiasm that was only put down and brought down with his coach giving him inconsistent minutes and refs nitpicking him apart
    LOL

but yes it may be leap for some of you, the slower and the weaker minds outthere because you were not able to strip circumstances from players ability and you relie too much on seeing a mere boxscore numbers put time and again, during a stretch joined/followed by the big approval from the media!!

lets be honest majority of people on this forum relies on the media and need their guy first be accepted by the experts before they say anything 'wild' ...

Ankara1923 likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

Could easily be a top 5 center by the end of next season.
    A top 5 center
    Top 4 shooting guard with some effort on defense by next season from Green.
    A Much improved Jabari reconnecting with his shot .
    Plus a "generational" talent since Lebron. A generational talent is supposed to flip the W/L column by 14 games alone, using Lebron's impact in his
    How can you not like the foundation?

The problem is getting 2 or three of those guys playing as one and not as a bunch of individuals. I know Sengun can do it.

And some don't like or want to admit it but coaching always goes a long way in putting these players in the best position to succeed even if it means changing up his coaching style. I'm not going to say what people are in charge of that. We know I can't say that.
    It's Silas and Stone.

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

a misunderstanding is quite possible but alpe actually fits perfectly. The ‘e’ at the end end as a non-silent short e is quite common in Native American names, who are also migrants from Asia. Google ‘Tempe’ pronounciation. It is a city in Arizona.

the unlucky thing is there is already Alpes the mountains and it doesn’t have the e sound.

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, absolutely! You were onto him from the get-go. You got a lot of hate for that, and you still do on the forums.
    As they say: "better to be wrong conventionally than to be right unconventionally". You are too unconventional, even though you may turn out to be right, and got hate for that.

Nothing surprising, really. The brain of the human-hive, the conventional wisdom, is usually bland and mediocre... Unique insight comes from non-conventional people.

I am reading about this new ChatGPT AI and what it can do, and how everybody finds it super-exciting. I don't get it. We have made a BS-ing robot, than can spew human-like oral diarrhea. Whop-de-dooo! We have about several billions of those: talking, writing and posting copious amounts every day. A simple handheld calculator is way more amazing to me, as it can perform calculations that the human brain cannot.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Silas finally found his lob threat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Totally agree. You can tell who the opposition worries about the most with the coverages he's been seeing. If we could get to league average on three's we'd win some games.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Imagine if Jalen had a 1 assist 3 turnover game.

Isn't that supposed to be Sengun's speciality? Efficient passing?

15. fchowd0311

So Green?

You do see that when Green and Sengun are playing especially in when those two are in pnr situations it's obvious who they are concentrating on. They almost always double Green and let Sengun operate in space at the top of the 3 pt line where the screen is set probably due to a combo of Sengun being perceived as a poor outside threat and Green being perceived as a poor passer out of a double while also being extremely dangerous getting to the rim if not trapped after a pick

16. maj21

maj21 Member

Adios!!!

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

In totality over more than 1.5 seasons, Sengun has contributed drastically more than Green, according to all stats that measure contribution to team. (BPM, WS, etc.) He is a few months younger than Green.

The youth excuse is a valid excuse for when a player is held to a superstar standard at too young of an age. It is not a valid excuse for a player making $10M and producing at the bottom of the NBA in all important metrics.

The IG and the other extracurriculars are irritating to fans, given the poor effort and poor production. Especially for a player with such God-given talent: fans would always like players who outperform their talent and dislike players who severely underperform it. That's how it always has been.

18. fchowd0311

So about last night...

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

NBA needs a Second Year Player award, separate from the Most Improved.

And the trophy should be named the Alperen Sengun Sophomore of the Year Award

20. plegus

plegus Member

He looked checked out last night. It was emberrasing.

I know it is hard to keep your **** together around incompetent coaching and in a tanking team, however he has been a pro for a long time and he is smart enough to know that this kind of slacking will never help his case, whatever the situation he may find himself in.

I believe he will quickly come to his senses after seing the tape. He is way better than this and should not hold himself to sub-par standards contrary to spoiled, self-proclaimed star-to-be's.

#1020 plegus, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023