1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Fire Baker crowd never stops. They are already planning the b****ing sessions over the lineups.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Criticism of Saint Dusty will NOT be allowed. Strengths and weaknesses? NEVER. Saint Dusty has NO WEAKNESSES. Don't like the line-ups? YOUR a RACIST!

Please treat him like a MAN with both.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Did I call you a racist? No. You are short-sighted though. Dusty played the long game and WON! WS champion, baby!

cbass and Yordan The Great like this.
  4. msn

msn Member

Oh good lord, of course it's allowed.

But I'm cool with letting the dust from the championship parade settle, and maybe even checking out a few lineups, before criticizing too heavily.

After all, when I woke up this morning

THE ASTROS ARE THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

5. Buck Turgidson

What in the blue f**k are you talking about?

Are you talking about me? Because I will complain and call Dusty out every time he does something stupid during the 162?

He's a hell of a Postseason manager, though.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Of course not. But you must admit there are those who cannot let any criticism go as merely an opinion.
    It has to be some personal characteristic they see as flawed.

7. Buck Turgidson

Not all opinions are created equal.

Neither is all criticism.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros under Dusty won in the "We Are Family" (Chuck Tanner) mode vs. that of the supreme tactician.

msn likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think part of fandom is criticizing bad decisions from the manager. You can do that and still be the team’s fan and enjoy watching the games. I was screaming last year, because it seemed totally idiotic to bat Pena any place other than the two hole. At the time, I thought it was Dusty’s decision, maybe it wasn’t, but I find it hard to believe a manager of Dusty’s experience was being told by Click what batting orders to put together and to give so much time to Dubon. And, yes, if Pena starts out batting seventh this year, I am going to scream bloody murder.

10. Screaming Fist

You would think this would be obvious, but like about every popularly discussed issue, sides must be taken.

You are either a Dusty hater or a Dusty defender, and your opinions are opinions are entirely dictated by your membership in one of those two camps…or at least that’s how things would appear.

Personally, I have nothing against Dusty and he seems like a decent human being who should be doing something else with his time than managing the Astros.

11. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Call me idiotic, but I don't want a guy with a sub .300 OBP batting 2nd. Even in the 2 hole where he was better, he only had a .315 OBP. That sounds like a 8 hole hitter to me. Make the kid earn it

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Agreed. I just hate being labeled as a Dusty Hater because of what I think is reasonable criticism.

I like Altuve in the middle of the order because of his superior OPS. I like McCormick playing every day we face a lefty. I like Dubon only in the late innings. Why does this make me a Hater?

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm willing to see if that changes before moving him lower in the order. I'm not sure of the cause effect relationship in his batting 2nd verses a simple coincidence of timing while he was slumping. My initial thought would be mere coincidence of timing. But the pitches he sees requires much more effort than I am willing to give it.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. In the post season in 13 games he had a 367 oba and over 1000 ops. He might not match his MVP numbers in the regular season, but let’s see what he can do for at least a month. My guess that he improves on his regular season numbers substantially, but not probably to his crazy postseason bar.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The original "Goldern Rule" is he who Creates the World Rules whether we like it or not. The new golden rule pretty much violates that.

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

It may be hard to believe that Dusty would be told how to do a line up. It is less difficult to believe that Click would do it.

17. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

This loc'd out gangsta, set trippin' banger still in charge...?
    Hell, I'd smoke a cigar with him--
    but GD DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED THAT GIVES THIS TEAM AN EDGE AND FANBASE A "HOLY **** HE DID THAT?"

Winding your way down to Crawford Street
    Orange in your head & blue on your feet
    Well, another crazy game...
    Youll drink the night away
    And forget about ev'rything
    This city the H makes you feel so cold
    We got so many fans, but the base lost its soul
    Its taken you so long
    To find out you were wrong
    When you thought you could do everything
    ...another year & then you'd be happy, said one more year and then you'd be happy.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-5-17_21-54-57.png

19. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I was wondering How long before this thread was bumped. Now, the Astros will go on a run.