1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

We picked the better player later two years in a row

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi - 16th pick
    Jalen - 2nd pick

Tari - 17th pick
    Jabari - 3rd pick

If they had been drafted in reverse order, it would make more sense, based on their performance so far.

Jalen and Jabari make about 9m each.
    Alpi and Tari make about 3m each.

I am not out on Jalen and Jabari, I like them both and their potential, but we should stop prioritizing them based on draft position.

Once we want to start winning, give Jalen and Jabari a reality check, and hold them accountable - which might mean coming off the bench and/or getting fewer minutes, if the commitment, improvement and hustle don't come. They are very young, so I'm hopeful - but we really aced the mid first-round picks, that much is clear. Jury still out on our top picks.

I feel that - other than Gordon, who should be gone (as should KPJ) - our three best players, who happen to give it their all at all times, are Alpi, Tari and KMJ as of right now.

And the stats appear to confirm that.

BamBam, wlekfjv923n, HamJam and 13 others like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Honestly I think it’s more credit to Alpe and Tari for overachieving, than a knock on Jalen and Jabari. I think all 4 make up a nice young core along with Kenyon. Clearly Stone is hitting home runs with mid first rounders. :cool:

3. DreamR

DreamR Member

Glad Sengun & Tari didn't get so much draft hype or we wouldn't have nabbed them.

But draft hype is also why we ended up taking Green & Jabari. So it all evens out in the end.

jim1961, txtodd, cml750 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

honestly, OKC trading Sengun to us is the only thing keeping Stone from being a complete and utter failure as a GM so far

I am terrified with what he’s gonna do with cap space this summer

y’all give it up for our splash free agent signing - D’angelo Russell

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We need to give Segun and Tari the green light. Jalen and Jabari can play like trash without consequence because of their draft position. Actually man they just need Nix's green light for now and it would be an upgrade.

cml750 and NewAge like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm sorry, sir... you must be mistaken... i've been told previously that those later pix are 'treadmill of mediocrity' picks and will serve no tangible purposes in our future beyond perhaps a decent role player... the only true prizes lie at the top of the order... at least thats what i was told... lol

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dang… Russel? You really think we’re gonna miss out on maxing Porzingis first?

BigMaloe, Tuckmose, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So why don’t we start Tari instead of playing 18 mins playing time every game?

pmac, Aruba77, cml750 and 4 others like this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I would still say: the guys we have picked later are playing better than our high picks so far. Both Green and Jabari should have a higher ceiling than Sengun and Eason. And we have seen flashed from both of them. Now the question is, can they unlock their potential or not. Coaching, conditioning and character will all play a role in that. I don't expect Silas to be our coach for too much longer. We will have to see, what our next coach can do with them and if it will make a difference or not.

duluth111222, Easy and Aruba77 like this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I am starting to think that Green may be the cancer here, with his total lack of effort and awareness on D. Last year we had a winning streak when he was out, now we have a 2-0 streak going...

I like Alpi and Tari, but I don't think it is a question of who is "good" and who is "bad". It's a question of who plays like a professional NBA players and who is showboating like an exhibition player.

Green has shown enough for me to think he could become the best player on the team, including at least one-on-one defense. Problem is 80% of the time he is sabotaging the team.

11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

How ironic. The young players held accountable are outperforming the entitled top draft picks.

NewAge, kjayp, Aruba77 and 1 other person like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

Will Green or Smith accept their role and way of being handed? The new coach has his hands full of more than just basketball. Time is going to tell with both.

NewAge, Aruba77, cml750 and 1 other person like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's pretty hard to gauge how good our top picks really are when we have no semblance of discipline or an actual game plan.

Sengun is doing extremely well as the offense hub compared to head honcho, but this is just the same free flowing ball movement except now the hub has high bbiq, passing skills and court vision. silas ain't for sure drawing up plans for sengun to make those insane high iq passes.

Tari thrives in chaotic offense.

While our top two picks need an actual pg and Coach who will tell them to stop taking awful shots and call them out for their defensive efforts

U can't really say we priotize our top two picks with a competent pg by giving them kpj lol.

#13 DatRocketFan, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    dockerland, Easy, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

All I know is that this team is more successful when Jalen plays well, more so than any player on this team….

majicdonjuan and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Should have ? ceiling?...you sure live a lot in your head...

LOL stop talking about ceilings as if its a real thing... there is no such thing as the ceiling... its only an electrical impulse in your head and a bad one...LOL

btw Sengun's ceiling is the best basketball player of all times
    take that for data you silly ceiling guy! LOL

Ankara1923 likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari and Green can both shoot you out of games. I’d like to see a stretch with neither of them playing, but the fill-in options are so bad, you really wouldn’t see much difference.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

just what i have always been preaching... draft order is a huge bs, too arbitrary, hype based and has nothing to do with reality of how much talented all these guys are or how well they can play which is a fluid thing, not something written in stone even in the later age let alone at the age of 18
    juts another proof tanking is not necessary and harmful in fact

NewAge and Ankara1923 like this.
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Man you sure can get kinda aggressive when someone posts a message you don't agree with - even if it's not really a very oppiniated thing.

I was talking about things like physical features, athleticism, past success etc. - I know that a ceiling is just a perceived concept. But usually these things can be a pretty good indicator of how good a player can be. I am not saying Green or Jabari will definetly be great or better than Eason or Sengun - I am just saying that there are some things that point to the possibility, that they can be special.

Oh and by the way, Sengun is probably my favorite player on this team as well, definetly the most fun to watch. I just still have high hopes for Green and Jabari, although this season has be very frustrating to watch them "develope"...

Easy, majicdonjuan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp not to be picked as a top 5 pick was an anomaly, Thus he is not overachieving, he is just playing his normal game.Prediction for this year was 18/12/6 per 36 and for next year is 22/14/8. He will get 15 plus minus 5 triple double next year.

What wonders me how he dropped to 16 and was given by OKC, although at least 1 person valued #1 and Hollinger put him #4. The following passage is from last year. How come these so-called NBA experts did not pick him earlier? So, Alp is not a #16 pick level player. Similar to Alp, Tari should be picked much earlier. Anyway, these shortsighted people gave us a chance to have both and made me #1 (T&S)OF person.

Despite those defensive concerns, The Athletic’s John Hollinger is very high on Sengun, projecting Sengun to be the fourth best player in the 2021 class with this to say about the Turkish big.

As I noted a few months ago, Sengun is the pearl of a strong international class, and he is still flying somewhat under the radar despite winning the MVP of the Turkish League. That league is probably the second-best in Europe right now after Spain’s, and the history says that when a teenager — Sengun turns 19 in July — crushes a good overseas league like that, the fail rate is basically nil.

There are legitimate concerns about Sengun defensively, that he might be the type of guy who gets run off the floor in a playoff series. Overall, I would profile him as similar to Kevin Love — more of a “4.5” than a true five and somebody whose offense will need to make up for non-elite rim protection and mobility. Nonetheless, his offensive skill set is crazy good for a player his age. He has ball skills, passing ability, a good shooting stroke that projects to 3-point range and a dizzying array of spins, pivots and finishes on the low block.

I’ll be surprised if he isn’t able to rack up double-doubles relatively early in his career; it’s the defensive question in the modern game that keeps him out of my top three, and even then I still wonder if I have him too low. A lot of not-very-athletic bigs with average tools but advanced feel have ended up being far better defenders than initially projected — Marc Gasol obviously comes to mind for me — and Sengun could be another example. I wouldn’t just write him off at this end of the floor.

cml750, AroundTheWorld and ilias like this.