1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marco Rubio doppleganger is a now a NY Rep, but he was just making it up as he went along

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No self awareness at all..

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whether or not he has self-awareness, he knows what he's doing. Always selling himself as the only good guy. Always.

AleksandarN, ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Oh of course he’s trying to sell. It’s ridiculous though given his own history.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, ridiculous most of the time, for most of his life. Was just commenting on "self awareness."
    Is a lizard eating grasshoppers self-aware? Does it matter?

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s a good philosophical question whether this is just Trump being Trump and we shouldn’t expect him to be different. Yes Trump
    isn’t likely to change but this more than just Trump it is parroting his rhetoric as though this is some sort of legitimate political discourse or even a cutting criticism Biden. It’s. Lack of self awareness to try to pass that off as such.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump being Trump. The problem isn't Trump. It's his audience. Equating ___what is his real name anyway___ to Biden is normal for this audience. Self-unawareness is a better attribute than being that delusional.

AleksandarN and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

[​IMG]

for context...
    https://devo.fandom.com/wiki/Booji_Boy
    Booji Boy
    [​IMG]
    Booji Boy is the closest thing to a mascot DEVO has; he is a fictional character represented by Mark in a mask and described as "the spirit of infantile de-evolution". In concerts, Booji Boy would typically sing the last encore.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Are you talking about Trump, Santos, or Commodore?

ROCKSS, No Worries and AleksandarN like this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It seems like he is playing it safe and going with answer D) All of the above.

AleksandarN likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Santos is recusing himself from committees. Apparently he was encouraged to do so by McCarthy.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

recuse? he needs to be tossed out of the House and charged for fraud

ROCKSS, Andre0087 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Hopefully this is a sign that there will be accountability. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting though.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

DOJ Moves on Lying U.S. Rep. George Santos

The Department of Justice has asked the Federal Elections Commission to step aside regarding its investigation into New York’s lying congressman, Republican Rep. George Santos.

The request indicates that federal prosecutors are investigating whether Santos committed any crimes. The move came from DOJ’s public integrity unit, as reported by WAPO.

In addition, the request asked the FEC to provide the Justice Department with relevant documents.

Most of the time, federal agencies comply with these sorts of requests because they don’t want to be in each other’s way, David M. Mason, a former FEC commissioner, told the paper.

“[T]hey don’t want anything that the FEC, which is a civil agency, does to potentially complicate their criminal case,” he said.

Prosecutors are sure to explore some suspicious campaign expenditures that were accounted for as payments to “anonymous” briefly before being removed from campaign filings.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

get this Brazilian Madea outta here already

he should be washing his cellmate’s undies in prison

ROCKSS and Xerobull like this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can appreciate the impatience, but our systems for accountability are hella slow. I'm still fairly confident that House ethics will boot him, and he will be prosecuted. But until then, they have to play along with the innocent-until-proven-guilty thing.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

hold my pocket!

AleksandarN likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Democrats are going after Santos because the GOP finally has a dashing and charming fella and it is eating them up.

The pettiness of Democrats on full display.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Possible, but unlikely. Reading between the lines below, Santos would have to convicted, sentenced and imprisoned before the House Ethics committee would move.

Speaker McCarthy: Santos will be removed from Congress if ethics probe finds he broke law

WASHINGTON–Speaker Kevin McCarthy explained Tuesday night how Rep. George Santos could exit Congress through the House Ethics Committee, though he has continued to stick by the embattled freshman Republican from New York.

“If for some way when we go through Ethics and he has broken the law, then we will remove him, but it's not my role,” McCarthy said. "I believe in the rule of law. A person's innocent until proven guilty."

The speaker elaborated on the issue to reporters this week in his most extensive comments about Santos since members were sworn in earlier this month. McCarthy could not by himself expel Santos from the chamber even if he wanted to – that would take a vote by two-thirds of the House – but he could marshal his caucus for such a vote in the future.

“The American public in his district voted for him. He has a responsibility to uphold what they voted for, to work and have their voice here, but at any time, if it rises to a legal level, we will deal with it then," McCarthy said.

He added that he's been standing by him because voters elected him and he doesn't have the power as speaker to remove him.

Pressure builds to remove Santos

McCarthy's remarks come after top GOP leaders have begun to open the door to an Ethics probe Kentucky GOP Rep. James Comer a key McCarthy lieutenant who chairs the Oversight Committee, told CNN Sunday that Santos is a "bad guy" and his lies are "pretty despicable."

Santos, who has admitted to lying to voters about his personal and professional background, is facing the most scrutiny for campaign finance reports.

He told reporters Wednesday that he would have an answer on why he recently amended his public filings to show that he did not personally contribute $500,000 to his campaign, but he did not say when.

New York Democratic Reps. Daniel Goldman and Ritchie Torres filed a complaint with the Ethics Committee earlier this month, urging the panel to investigate Santos and his campaign finance reports. He is also facing legal inquiries at the local and state levels, with members of his own party calling on him to resign.

Can Kevin McCarthy remove George Santos from Congress?

McCarthy has largely stood by Santos, saying the Constitution dictates it's up to the voters. He has allowed the New York congressman to serve on committees and also emphasized that he alone does not have the power to remove Santos from office.

Critics have accused McCarthy of standing by Santos – who voted for the California Republican 15 times for speaker earlier this month – because ousting him could diminish the Republican majority. But the speaker insists that's not true.

You know why I'm standing by him? Because his constituents voted for him," McCarthy said. "I do not have the power, simply because I disagree with somebody on what they have said, that I will remove them from elected office."

Is it easy to expel a member of Congress?

It is rare for a member of Congress to be expelled and it requires support from two-thirds of the chamber. To date, 20 members of Congress have been removed: 5 in the House and 15 in the Senate. Most were expelled because of their disloyal behavior prior to the Civil War, according to the Congressional Research Service.

McCarthy said he would hold Santos "to the same standard I hold anyone else elected to Congress."

Unless things rise to a "legal level" or the Ethics Committee recommends expulsion, Santos likely will remain in Congress and on two committees: Small Business and Science, Space, and Technology.

What did George Santos lie about?

Santos has admitted to lying about his personal and professional background, including his heritage, education and where he worked. Among the claims he has made that have since been refuted:

• He did not work at Citigroup or Goldman Sachs
    • He did not lose four employees in the Pulse shooting
    • He does not own 13 properties
    • He did not lose his mother in the Sept. 11 attacks
    • He did not graduate from Baruch College in Manhattan
    • He was not a volleyball star at Baruch College
    • He did not study at New York University
    "I didn't graduate from any institution of higher learning," Santos told the New York Post. "I'm embarrassed and sorry for having embellished my resume."

He previously said he was the grandson of Holocaust survivors, telling the lie in his New York district that includes numerous Jewish voters.

Santos has since pivoted to say he's not Jewish, but "Jew-ish."

"I always joke, I'm Catholic, but I'm also Jew-ish – as in 'ish,'" he told City & State.

Though he publicly admitted to embellishing his resume, he said he is "not a fraud."

An updated campaign finance report Tuesday raised more questions about $700,000 Santos gave to his campaign.

His campaign finance reports previously said he personally lent the money to his congressional campaign. An update filed Tuesday indicated the money did not come from his personal funds.

Santos told reporters Wednesday he would have an answer on the change, but did not say when.