1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If No Trade at Deadline . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jan 26, 2023.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if we get no return on Ego - thats a blunder...

i'm 100% on board w vet leadership - i think we need a ton more of it... but...
    a) Ego aint it... hes just disgusted with the state of affairs...
    b) if u can get an asset for ego - do it... u can get vet leadership for the min... bring in somebody who retired in the last year or two... so what they lost a step - we aint trying to win... we just need somebody that can set the table... direct traffic.... show guys how to behave...

Jontro and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. VoR

VoR Member

With inflation contracts are just going to increase in price. If we can get a good contract with 2-4 years left on it, I’m all for it.

3. VoR

VoR Member

The Golden State/Lebron generation has 1-2 years left on it. Next generation of players will be key. Grizz and Bucks are the teams of the next decade. Pelicans might be too.

saleem likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

If Harden to Houston has real legs, then he must be sending signals that he’ll come home if Philly is a disappointment in the playoffs or tries to get cute with his next contract

he’s putting up 22, 6, and 11 on 45/39/87 splits and should be an All-Star and All-NBA

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just want KPJ or Green to put up those kind of numbers

Rocket River
    I don't mind Harden coming back to help . . and he seems to be in the helper not main guy mindset now

Reeko likes this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Stone is scared to make a move because he is worried of criticism…..if he didn’t trade for Sengun I would be out on him

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

There is no way Harden is coming to Houston, he is trying to get more money from Philly. The guy still wants a ring. We does not play defense, hanging out at stripper’s joints and he wants to win..,not losing. We called us a loser, made a fool out of us. Now you want him and LIL BABY back, because when we start losing….

saleem and jim1961 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My targets in other players would be to try to fill a position of need for redundant pieces we have.....for one group, then the other would be future picks.

First Group
    1. Jaxson Hayes
    2. Mo Bamba
    3. Jokob Poeltl

We need a center either as a backup to Sengun or as someone that can play alongside......all are rumored to be available and would probably take something like Tate etc or Tate + a young player like Christopher as a sweetener to do.....

This group would be to ty to acquire another or future pick.

1. Mike Conley
    2. Kyle Lowry

You would need to trade Gordon+ on both of these and you are HOPING they are looking at us taking on that 20+m for each NEXT year so it gives them salary relief and cap room next year......so maybe we get a pick for doing that?

I don't value the Milwaukee pick it will be so low, and we already will have 8 FRPs in the last 3 years we don't have enough Dev time for them all.....time to clear space.

Rockets I would be looking to trade.
    1. Gordon
    2. Tate
    3. Chrisopher

I might trade other players if the price is something like an OG Anouby level player.

4. Tari
    5. KMJ

I would trade anyone on the team if a young superstar broke loose, but that is unlikely.

DD

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I hope Rockets can make a trade for Gordon. Dude could definitely help these young bloods.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Eric Gordon doesn’t give a **** about the Rockets or the young player, and the young players don’t give a **** about Eric Gordon.

They should have traded him for a #1 last year when they had a chance. Instead Stone “the dealer”, held on to him.

Also, the Rockets will use their cap space to over pay some one that they will end up trying to trade in a few years.

The only major improvements will come from having success in the draft lottery this year or having a strong NBA coach and player development program…. But that takes forethought … so I guess we better hope to get the worst record and hopefully the #1-2 pick…. At least need a top 5 pick to get one of the Thompson twins of Brandon Miller… a 3/4 of Jabari Smith and Brandon Miller would be interesting.

11. fattz

fattz Member

If we receive ANYTHING negative by trading Gordon than we should just cut him and thank him for his service. Not doing anything is better than doing the wrong thing. Gordon’s contract was bad when he signed it and had gotten worse. Sometimes time is the best answer.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

According to whom? Your Spidy-senses? :p

But really. You don’t know this. I don’t know this. You’re just making assumptions because we are bad, and therefore whatever we are doing must be bad.

My point wasn’t that it was the “right” decision to keep him, only that it was the “right” idea and that the organization valuing Ego as a mentor was more valuable to them than a late first — which they would have to trade or stash because they likely wouldn’t have the PT for anyone that isn’t a clear stud.

as for using cap space to overpay and then trade? Sorry, but you’re just making things up and assuming they’ll come to fruition. Also, every single team makes this kind of bad move from time to time. They may overvalue a bench player or undervalue a role player. It doesn’t make us unique to misjudge the situation. It certainly doesn’t make us a “joke of a franchise” as many here have suggested.

Game days are only a fraction of what goes on during a season in terms of growth and improvement. We aren’t privy to 70% of what happens. This is Silas second year developing. The first year we had nothing to develop. It was a reset year. Then we had last year — and now we are half way through this year. So 1.5 years isn’t a lot to judge Silas.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Spidey senses? No, based on what people with the Rockets have told me. Gordon has very little interaction with the younger players on the Rockets. There is a generational divide, and he honestly has made it clear to the Rockets that he doesn't want to play for the Rockets unless he gets an extension. Yet Stone keeps him because he passed up a good deal for Gordon and keeps thinking he will get another good deal down the road.... well we are just about at the end of the road.

Also, yes, the Rockets will have to over pay in free agency because really good players are not going to have the Houston Rockets at or near the top of their wish list. The Rockets have been the worst team in the NBA the last 3 years, with a coach everyone knows in a lame duck and a GM that isn't really well respected around the league. So that means the Rockets will have to over pay or trade for someone like John Collins.

You can say that Silas hasn't had enough time to be judged, but I can tell you most of those around the league are already judging him.

Also, yes, right now the Rockets are viewed as a dysfunctional organization that does not hold it's players accountable. Can that change? Sure, it can. The Grizzlies were viewed in a negative light until they changes leadership in the front office, hired a competent coach and drafted well.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the only thing they do is dump EG, I'm fine with that. Guy has got to go, he has no business stealing a starting job from someone who actually cares.

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

What about earlier in season, off season and going back to last year when those supposed trade were available? Was he a good influence then -- because that's when they made the decision not to trade, not yesterday. I'm not inclined to believe Stone thinks he can get a better deal. I don't think Stone values late firsts just for late firsts. He bet on Ego being a professional and I don't blame him. It's not even like Ego is a distraction or publicly showing he's a bad influence. He's made like 3 comments about how little fun he's having and lack of improvement...that's pretty tame for a disgruntled player who's supposedly a bad influence.

Context matters. And we never attracted good free agents even in the Harden era. A depleted Howard was the only big free agent we ever got in the last decade +. So I don't see the current situation is any worse than the past 10 years in terms of free agency attraction. This is 1.5 years into the true rebuild. Year 0 was just to get rid of pieces and get into a draft position. Now we have 2 solid drafts and an upcoming 3rd. I just don't get what y'all expect... did I think we'd be better (even if W-L didn't show it)? Yes. But I don't see doom written in the sky like so many of you.

Stone's only "bad" move was gambling on Ego as the veteran.

Do your inside sources also say nobody respects Stone?

As for the generational divide...I think it's more of an indictment on the young guys than Ego. "This generation is different" yah well maybe not in a good way. Maybe they need an old fart getting his work done without the instagram and other distractions.

17. fattz

fattz Member

There is no FRP coming for this man. Would you give up a FRP for him? Neither would anyone else.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Morey moved pieces too much and treated them like"assets"
    feels like
    Stone doesn't move them enough and treat them like "family"

Rocket River

19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the only teams that would want him all operate at the tax line as we do meaning we would have to match his salary in a trade. The reason not to trade EGo is you have no interest in picking up an extra $20mil contract just to get off the last 3 months of Gordon's time with this team. There isn't a deal out there where that $20mil would have us getting a better player in return. Just take the L, buy Gordon out and move on with a clear cap. Taking on another team's bad contract and a paltry pick or two that likely won't be a significant asset is not worth it.