1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We’re worst at making wide open threes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 31, 2023.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Do we even get wide open threes? It always feels like even possessions where the ball moves beautifully, it still barely results in an open shot.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Offensive rebounding because we miss so many shots :)

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, Jalen Green alone takes an average of 6.2 open or wide open 3's a game....it's just he only hits 32% of them.

Jabari Smith takes 5 open or wide open 3's a game and he hits 30% of them.

The issue has always been who we are creating the open and wide open shots for, not manufacturing open and wide open shots.

Corrosion and CircaSurvive like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Pretty silly to think Sengun is being selfish. He is a hesitant 3 pt shooter and that’s about it. Hopefully, he will pull the trigger quicker as he gains confidence and experience. Plain and simple we are poorly coached very young team, with 3 core players to build upon or to use as trade bait in the future. I understand your theory on slower footed big men, but it is really foolish for us the keep harking on the weaknesses and stats for these kids, especially since they have no real accountability. Green has improved in some aspects and regressed in some aspects of the game. Sengun has improved in virtually every aspect of the game since getting his minutes. Jabari has improved in almost every aspect except shooting, which I personally believe will come around in the next year or two. We are re-building and re-building takes patience. We can’t really tell what these young players are capable of until we get a decent coach and a few vets to help them understand what being an NBA pro is all about.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great point, and while he might not lead it is a factor - last year he passed to an elite finisher in Wood this year, it is Jabricky Smith.

Worst stat to be good at in the NBA, while we crash the offensive glass we give up easy transition buckets because guys are on the other end, it is mind numbingly stupid basketball.

DD

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Someone find the missed shots within 3 feet of the rim. I'd bet we are worst there too.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Some really think that 3's are not that important! An attack of baby hooks is certain to keep up with the best in the league when they ARE taking advantage of the 3 point line with competent shooting. :rolleyes:

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Im sure were worst at a lot of things

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Spacing is the NBA's gold......without it your
    at the NBA's poorest doormat level.

Spacing equates to offensive efficiency.

Fisher was coach of the Lakers and frowned
    on his team shooting 3's.....they sucked and he
    got fired. Has he found a job since?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Damion Laverne

That's just the roster. When you don't have shooters, can you be surprised that your three-points stats are garbage?

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I disagree

When Sengun was in the second unit i saw Sengun come in and put extra mustard on passed as if he was trying to impress others while also showing he was mad.

He's a little more selfish than you realize.

Sengun and Green were inseparable last season off the court.....but business is business.

I believe there is a power struggle on who should be running the team.....the guards or Sengun?

Green started hitting when KPj went out but that was more about his cohort not being there to help freeze out Sengun.

I've always said if the Rockets staggered Green/KPj.....you would see each year it up
    as neither have to worry about stepping on the toes of the other. CP3/Harden had to do that.
    Harden/Westbrook had to be staggered.
    Trae/D Murray would be better for the Hawks staggered. Until the dueling banjos can get use
    to playing next to each other for shorter intervals.....at first.

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

So the worst team in the NBA is the worst at doing some things... Whoda thunk.

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

Great shooters are made, not born. It's all about coaching and training.

There are a ton of analytics that can help humble shooters find their form. I read that Noah Basketball is used by 26 of 30 NBA teams. But I can't determine if the Rockets are a client. If they are, they should get in the lab and make adjustments.

15. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

yep. matches the eye test
    they suck at shooting open threes.

My guess is they are surprised that even though without any plays to find the open man they somehow turn up to be open
    so they lose focus and miss

yeah.
    thats it.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Damn team can't shoot. It seems like players rarely shoot well for the Rockets for whatever reason, but I'm sure a lot of teams feel that way. Still, open, covered, layups, dunks, you name it, this team will miss it with the best of them!

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

theoretically... if yer throwin games and developing players - that would be the spot to do it (open 3s)...

show me the penetration, and the kick out, now ball movement, get the ball around to the open shooter... now tank the shot... ideally go off the back iron to keep your accuracy on...

now i aint sayin thats whats happenin...

but that would be the smart play...

as opposed to looking totally inept... lol

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In my games of tracking good shots -- we generated good to great shots more than 77% of the time, yet we just don't make em

DD

Corrosion likes this.