1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Dalton Kincaid AND Darnell Washington now are considered a better prospect than Michael Mayer :oops:

Shark44 likes this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Let’s not discount Bryce Young’s abilities just because he’s small. Elite arm strength and mobility? Maybe not, but you don’t need either when you have the anticipation and ELITE IQ for reading and beating defenses. How’s Brady’s mobility? Or Mannings arm strength. Young is elite where it matters most, between the ears. And I’ll take that in a compact frame over elite physical traits and not knowing what cover 2 is.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think this is where some of the disconnect stems. I think its wildly unrealistic to position Young among some of the games greats. This is absolute best case wishful thinking and something that I have a hard time following.

Davis Mills supposedly had great processing ability too PLUS the measurables. How has that gone? Crazy how all that goes out the window when 300 pounders are coming at you unblocked.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If people were that high on Davis Mills, he wouldn’t have gone in the 3rd round.

primtim24 likes this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

The first scouting report I pulled up on Davis Mills lists it as a weakness. Including an arm that is not elite.

Weaknesses:
    • Quality arm strength, but not elite
    • Not a running threat, lacks mobility
    • Ball placement needs improvement
    • Spotty field vision
    • Needs to speed up the process
    • Limited experience

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Interesting. For a little while there he was "the best QB of that draft" -- the hidden gem even better than Trevor and Mac!

My point was based on his own quote that he valued his processing ability above any other trait. I dont care how fast you think if your IOL is getting you pummeled. At least Mills was able to take the punishment. I'd venture to guess that each big hit Young takes will be met with gasps from the fanbase and rightfully so.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Where he met Clyde Hellaire, Jamar Chase & Justin Jefferson.

Omihall23, houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I based my response on Mills himself lauding his ability to read and react. I hate to be that guy, but some of us here made most of those bullet points debate topics and were met with hostility. Funny what a season can do.

If Young is the guy I hope he can make plenty of throws on his way down to the turf.

Sooty likes this.
  9. Sooty

If someone doesn't start they don't become themselves until they're at their new college? He wasn't a lowly recruit out of high school.

What about Caleb Williams and Jalen Hurts?

10. Sooty

Good point, and agree. It's going to be one long off season.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The knock on Mills was that he only had played in like 13 games in three seasons. If he had gone back to school and stayed healthy, there is absolutely zero doubt that teams (and probably many of the posters in this very thread!) would have "Levis'd" themselves into taking him in the first, regardless of how he had actually performed on the field.

12. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Seem to make plenty facing 300 pounders in the SEC. In SEC championship game against a defense in which basically the entire squad made it to the NFL, including 5 first rounders, he threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. In reality, with his quickness and ability to move around the pocket, he was sacked much less often than bigger QBs.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Burrow had less than 40 passing attempts at Ohio St. He’s not a Buckeye product.

The other two at least had full seasons of good play at their past schools. Williams will be known as a Trojan and Hurts can be split

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

As it’s been stated, he’s had plenty of 300 pounders coming at him. I would have taken the argument “nfl defenses are harder to read” but you went with size again.
    Mills was NO WHERE NEAR the prospect coming out of college that Young is.. cmon..

HeyBudLetsParty and Omihall23 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Some interesting rankings! Tippmann looks interesting at C, hadn't seen him that high. Would be a great target at #34... https://www.profootballnetwork.com/joe-tippmann-c-wisconsin-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

gucci888 likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Look at Kincaid's tape, he's really athletic and has great hands. Washington is just a freak, but I haven't seen him look like a natural pass catcher (probably need to look at more tape). His size/blocking skills alone, would be a big benefit to our running game though.

Nook likes this.
  18. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Not making it to the nfl

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I’ve watched a bit and was hoping we’d grab him in the 3rd. Didn’t know he would be considered the best TE in the class.

Hawkeye84 likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member