1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes those are bad games. Specially when you consider the talent advantage Ohio St and Bama have.
    Your bias is showing.
    It’s also really easy go look up how bad the games were.
    Bryce game against Texas, ULM, LSU, Arkansas this year were not good games.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Give it up dude. You are hopeless. Just deal with Bryce or CJ being QB1 for the Texans.

HeyBudLetsParty and Omihall23 like this.
  3. raining threes

Young will probably be the pick.

In a way I hope Levis is the pick, just so I can watch this place have a collective stroke. That would be entertaining.

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m gonna laugh if Ryans brings in a vet.

Young is a QB1. Stroud is a scrub. There’s only one reason you want him

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think DeMeco will push for defenders. Defense is closer to being dominant - finish that build this year. He saw firsthand how a decent offensive mind can extrapolate the most from supposed inferior QBs. If he's bringing in the Koobs/Shanny system on offense its tailor made to be efficient with scheme. Next year we can get the dynamic signal caller to usher in the next era of winning Texan football.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans are drafting Young or Stroud. Nuff said.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so, just to piss off Scarface.
    Gets us in on a better QB class with a lot better depth from this draft

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I agree with this. If you think the only thing separating Bryce Young from being a top-10 guy is injury risk seems like a no-brainer to me. Banking on having a top pick again next year seems very risky, Demeco and ownership aren't going to want to tank, and do people here really want to be a bottom-tier team in the NFL for what the 4th straight season next year?

cbass and Omihall23 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We shall see. If they forego QB hopefully you can be on board and not feel slighted as a fan.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Young, Stroud, Levis or Anderson are sure fire top 10 QBs? Expecting that is a bigger gamble than building a solid foundation. I dont think anybody thinks the QB position is not important - on the contrary it is the most important position, but with so many holes HOPING one of these guys becomes a top 10 QB in the NFL seems to be wishful thinking.

No Worries and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Actually, Maye and Williams weren’t even on that guys list. It was Lawrence, somebody, Young at 3, somebody, and then Stroud at 5. I am trying to remember the others but I think it was Burrow and Herbert maybe? Anyways, the dude that tweeted it had a long list of being right about qb prospects and he had young and stroud above everyone in the last 5 years besides Lawrence/Herbert/burrow…

rfrocket likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maye and Williams were on his to add list if I remember right.
    He’s going to be wrong about Stroud

rfrocket likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not the only thing. I like Bryce but he’s not a for sure thing, even taking away his size. He has no elite physical traits. His processing is his strongest attribute, we will see how that works out.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With the poor IOL we have putting him back there to get rag dolled is a recipe for disaster. Green was a huge disappointment in that regard. We need better C/G play in a bad way.

Young would be the final piece to a puzzle for a team, not a guy who you beat up for a few years while you try and build around him and hope you dont ruin him. I suppose you COULD look to free agency to fill out some OL positions. Young is no Watson in evading a rush.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Of course not, but neither are Williams/Maye. The point is we are in a prime position to take a QB this year - if we don't land in the top 2 next year do we just depart with more capital to trade up? Then what was the point of plugging in all of those holes in the first place? Just keep kicking the can down the road and hope we are still the worst team in the NFL by the time Arch Manning comes along?

If people in the know like NFL scouts and GM's don't think any QB is worth it this year then so be it. But unless they think there is a massive delta between Young/Stroud/Levis and next year's crop, I think you take the option that is actually guaranteed to be available. There are going to be many teams that also want C-Will next year.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think elite mental traits at the QB position pan out far more often than elite physical traits. He's no guarantee, but I think he has a very high floor as far as QB prospects go.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  17. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Our current starting QB has elite physical traits. It matters less than you think.

primtim24 likes this.
  18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Elite? I don’t know about that…maybe above average with some of his traits. Intelligence might be the only elite trait he has.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I have no doubts they are drafting a QB. A defensive player will not change the franchise’s course, the right QB will. See JJ Watt.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think more important than comparing this years class to Williams and Maye, we should be comparing this years class as a for sure, vs Williams and Maye possibly regressing (rattler, Barkley, etc) and/or the Texans not having a high enough draft pick. And if you think we can just trade both our first rounders next year to move up when we simply have the pick already this year, then stop talking about “building the whole team” because you obviously don’t care about the draft picks.

either way, I can’t wait to see what the draft board looks like next year.