1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] The Last of Us (beware spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 27, 2021.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think thats my least favorite episode of the series!

one thing last nights episode proved is that a gay hour and fifteen minute love story is just as boring as a straight hour and fifteen minute love story.

the beard-play was pretty hot though.

IBTL and clos4life like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Gay Ron Swanson wasn't as funny as straight Ron Swanson. Looking forward to a return to action next week.

clos4life likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Every third episode of doom patrol is a gay love story.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also, the game becomes a plutonic love story that takes place in a zombie apocalypse. People crying about this episode are weird. I guess the people crying about this episode watched walking dead until the end because they kept giving them their action! Who needs story!

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I did enjoy episode 3 and now a little more curious in how this series is going to play out. Not really how I expected the episode to go which is good in a way. I fully expected Frank to eventually get infected at some point with Bill having to kill him, and then Bill somehow joining Joel and Ellie. Would have been a great character development episode for a new character in the series.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting watching it tonight after reading all the back-and-forth in this thread today - im about halfway through right now.

3rd episode is right about the correct point in the season arc for a slow episode. Hook viewers with action early, then flesh out the story.

I can see how if you thought you were getting a non-stop action show with lots wall to wall action, this might be a downer for you. Maybe this isnt going to be the show you were expecting?

I like that Offerman wasnt a mincing queen, and he wasn't "the gay guy" out of the bat. I actually found him to be a pretty compelling character, especially the way he slowly came out of his survivalist shell when he met his guy, and I thought it was very engaging to watch the human stuff. But to each his own, thats not what some are looking for.

I liked it, I understand that some people probably had a different idea of what the show was going to be in their head, and they arent happy with what they're getting.

I played the game a long, long time ago, but IIRC it, too, always felt like it was crawling along a bit more slowly than I was expecting.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the gay thing overshadowed the show's romanticizing of suicide

JumpMan and clos4life like this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think straight ron swanson would turn gay for gay ron swanson. hes a great cook, he has a boat, he is a master craftsman, hes armed to the teeth, he knows about construction and home improvement. he is a real catch, especially in the zombie apocalypse!

whom amongst us wouldnt turn gay to stay with gay ron swanson in his survivalist compound? do some gay stuff every once in awhile, rub your beards together, listen to linda rondstandt...its a small price to pay to stay alive in that world!

Ziggy, IBTL and clos4life like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What a bizarre post.

Have you never been around an old married person ever? My super conservative maga 92 year old grandfather told us over the holidays that if my grandmother for whatever reason passes away before him that he wants to go with her. Of course it brought all of us grandkids to tears but we completely understood what he was talking about.

If you think that the final moments of this episode were about glorifying suicide then you really have lived a pretty pathetic life and should probably try online dating or anything.

Living only for yourself isn’t living… it’s called a metaphor people… but yeah in real life when you are old this is a real thing. Older people don’t want to leave their significant other under any circumstance. That’s just how it goes in the end.

#229 dobro1229, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Yung-T, GRENDEL and IBTL like this.
  10. dobro1229

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Just watched it, the show was doing so well without this woke garbage. Had to skip over the uncomfortable gay stuff. It was boring and pointless. Could have skipped over the whole two dudes story. Its not too late to get this thing back on track, hopefully no more of this.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. It's interesting to watch people bash a good show even with a slow episode and whatnot.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

How is it woke garbage when Bill was gay in the game?

Yung-T likes this.
  14. dobro1229

You made basically the same post 24 hours ago and felt the need to come back around the next day to say it again as if you just watched it for the first time? Seems like you have a pretty clear agenda here.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sounds like your grandfather would never assist with your grandmother's suicide. The issue is assisted suicide. Coming soon to a D&D section near you.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

How often does this occur?

Do you consider it romantic for a healthy person to kill themselves when a loved one dies (the show explicitly calls it romantic)?

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

well, that's a spoiler, butthole

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Real Offerman wouldn't have let him stay that long.

I enjoyed it but would have preferred full action.

Frank or Murray Bartlett could have acted a straight dude for a change.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is devoid of the show's context. In real life? Sure, I think might be an argument against what happened. But this is a show about a bleak, post-apocalyptic hellscape with zombies. Bill's decision to exit an isolated and violent future makes more sense in that case. More thoughts:

The article you posted reads like a piece by someone who hasn't played the game. She writes:

Bill and Frank did provide friendship (and supplies) to Joel for many years. Was a wheelchair-bound Frank, unable to see a doctor in this world or receive modern cancer treatment, supposed to lighten the mood? Also, the world isn't saved in the game. Joel kills the doctors at the end of part one. That culmination is the entire point of this journey. There's no cure in part two and, as far as we know by the end of that game, Ellie remains the only person ever known to be immune. Why is this writer suggesting friendship from two side characters could save the world if she knows where the plot goes?

Also, lol at this little nugget:

Yes, because what matters in a fallen and infected society is propagating the human race inside one prepper's sealed-off and militarized town.

#239 mtbrays, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

My parents have a similar agreement in place.

I can fight with them, but it will be a waste of time.