1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not surprised.

The day Tesla announced that price cut and I looked at the prices, I knew immediately it is going to crush the competition.

$45k for a Long range Model Y was an absolute steal with NO dealer markups.

CXbby likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Both Model Y and 3 on the list.

If Tesla can come out with a Model 3 in low to mid 30k price range, it will easily jump to top 3.

I think that’s a better sales model going forward. Model Y in $40-50k range and Model 3 in $30-40k range will be too much for the competition to compete against. Tesla can do this because of their low cost production. And given they already have a massive lead in charging network it will be the hammer blow for the rest.

#1682 Zboy, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have one on order and waiting. They are installing the IDRA stamps in Texas right now. I am expecting them to start delivery at end of the year.

I would rather they don’t rush it and spend a bit more time in testing. But I doubt it.

Like most first run products I expect mine to have issues. The smart money says to wait and have them iron it out but my dumb money says to go out and have fun.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I found this fascinating. It's an underwater garage...for bicycles. I think many will be electric in one form or another.

A very long ride in an electric tram in Amsterdam. You'll see electric cars go by from time to time.

#1684 Deckard, Jan 30, 2023
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Zboy likes this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I was just about to post this.

Funny thing is that even after Ford’s price cut it is still overpriced when compared to similar Tesla offerings.

I said it the day Tesla cut its prices….if you are in the market for an EV and with the prices after a Tesla price cuts, why would you even consider a VW id4, Mustang Mach E, or Ionic 5 etc and pay significantly more out of your pocket?? They all need to lower price or their cars will be sitting in the parking lot.

Ford reacted. Others will have to as well.

CXbby likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because they are not a Mr Tweet car. Most people don't care.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

It turns out most people care more about saving $20k than what the Ceo tweeted. Who could have guessed.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am a car guy.....but I can't help but think we are just rearranging chairs on the titanic in terms of city planning/traffic with continuing to push a car centric culture, whether it's EV or ICE. Mr Musk sure doesn't care because he is going to Mars "soon".

Any who, there will be ton of legacy manufacturers who will close shop. I don't care how big it is. The smart ones will survive.

This happens every decade. Oh polaroid is too big! oh Nokia is too big! Blackberry is a staple! Streaming movies? lol!

This can also go the other way where EVs can turn into a headache and people slow down on adoption.....kinda like the irritation with Airbnbs. I went back to booking hotels.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Mach-e and ID4 still has a much lower price of entry. It's not going to have as much range or performance as a Model Y LR though. But for many people, even the performance of a Mach-E RWD is plenty for everyday driving.

ID4 can be had for as low as $40,000 before tax credit. The Pro version with the bigger battery is $45,000.

Mach-e starts at $47,800 and Blue Cruise is only a $2,000 option. Being able to go to hands-free on highway with Blue Cruise is huge.

Model-Y's lowest price of entry is still $55,000.

Tesla's biggest advantage is still its Super Charging network. It would take at least a few years if not a decade for CCS network to catch up. So I don't think it would be wise for Tesla to open their charging network despite the rumors. That would negate the biggest advantage they have.

Tesla should come out with an even cheaper version with less performance and range for that $45,000 price point, but that may be a bridge too far for their investor's liking for profit margins.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The entry level for those cars lack a lot of features. The Mach is also rear wheel drive at that price range which is not even a wise option in the north where it snows. Same with Id4. That right there is a big difference.

Model Y long range with the 19 inch wheels (AWD) was 53k when the price dropped. This is before federal and state incentives. And that is pretty much a loaded car other than FSD. Enchanced auto pilot is 6k if you want which includes highway auto pilot.

ID4 has a terrible infotainment system and is marred with software issues. Also poor charging speeds.

Ionic 5 does not even qualify for the federal tax rebate. And it’s Y equivalent config is more expensive than The Model Y even before Tesla’s incentives.

….and that is if you can get any of these cars without any dealer markups. Tesla’s price is what it says it is.

Edit: Just called 2 VW dealers and yup…both are doing markups.

Considering that Tesla also comes with the far superior charging network, and Model Y is more efficient and has better range, it’s a pretty clear cut decision between those options.

I would have to get significant savings for me to pass on the Model Y’s spacious interior, charging network, charging speed, efficiency, significantly better performance, and better software to chose the other car options.

#1692 Zboy, Jan 30, 2023
  13. jchu14

I think my bias comes from the fact that I'm in Texas where the hot weather renders a lot of these extra features as 'nice to haves' vs really necessary.

AWD and heated seats have way less value in Texas than in really cold climates. Pano roof can also be a take it or leave option considering how much it warm up the car's interior in the summer. Battery pre-conditioning is also less important where temperature rarely drops to very cold temperatures and most people that can afford a $50k car would most likely have a garage to park their car.

There is also no state incentives so the final price of the car is higher.

I do think Tesla needs a hands-free driver assistance soon to compete with Super Cruise and Blue Cruise. Without hands-free, how much better is Tesla's autopilot compared to ACC+Lane Centering of Ford's CoPilot 360 2.0 and ID4's Travel Assist that comes standard even on the lowest trims?

14. jchu14

Is that to get vehicles on the lot or ordering? I'm surprised if so. I looked into the ID4 back in July 2022 and the dealership charged markups with on the lot but MSRP if I placed an order. I would think demand has fallen since then.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Enhanced autopilot which is an upgrade, and not FSD, is pretty much full auto highway driving which includes lane change and exit. FSD adds city driving and traffic light stop.

Also, markups is something else to consider. I just called two local VW dealers and both have markups over MSRP for all their trims.

No dealer games, shenanigans, and markups with Tesla. WYSIWYG.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lot.

Volkswagen site says they are not taking any more reservations and to contact dealers.

The dealers have plenty of cars in all trims available where I am.

The demand might have fallen but that does not deter dealer from their usual shenanigans.

The dealers need to get their act straight and start offering cars bellow MSRP. Let them go through some pain and they will start to.

#1696 Zboy, Jan 30, 2023
  17. jchu14

That's true. I think car dealerships will be in for a rude awakening when supply catches with demand in 2023.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is buying a used Telsa equivalent to raw dogging a hooker? Guessing the tesla purchase is riskier?

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tesla’s reliability issues are minor, mostly cosmetic and easy fix. It’s power train is very reliable.

Also, EVs by design have a lot less moving parts and less prone to mechanical failures when compared to ICE counterparts.