1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does trading for John Collins make any sense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Man i dont know why harden would come play with these young scrubs next to embiid and maxey w/ freinds is beyond me.
    They would probably not even make the playoffs with old man harden being the max. By the time harden is 38 = Jalen, Jabari, Segun would be 24-25.

Harden needs to be let go. Or start Harden rehabbing center for some rockets fans.

He just come here and bounce out in year because Houston wouldn't bring in help lol.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think Collins is 6'9" but yeah that could work. I think Tari over Jabari would make more sense in that lineup though.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I was just basing it on the reports from a couple weeks ago saying he’s considering a return here. I would assume he’d only come back for for a big contract and to basically “come home” if he feels like the 76ers can’t get it done. A playmaking guard is our biggest need though so I wouldn’t be opposed to a Harden return

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great job guys. Always enjoy RocketsFuel!

I thought you made some compelling points about Collins. I’m less high on the idea than I was this morning. I agree that if we are committing to Tari and Jabari at the 4, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to to tie up our cap with Collins. However, I’m not confident in our ability to attract big time free agents or make a blockbuster trade for big time talent. If Collins can get back to where he was 3 years ago, he’s actually worth his contract, and the type of player we could eventually trade for significant assets. But point taken we don’t really need to spend big money at the 4.

when it comes to your feeling that we should just keep KJ, I’m not sure we have much control over that situation. He doesn’t want to be here and he’s not going to extend with the Rockets. That’s pretty obvious. So I’m not sure I understand why we wouldn’t be looking for opportunities to turn him into a positive asset.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No sense

putting less length next to Sengun makes zero sense. Team would be even worse defensively and especially small. Decent player and contract, but not a fit here at all.

Length, shooters, and defenders should be the target

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Bucks pick will end up on the mid or high 20s and be some other fringe player who spends most of the season in RGV, possibly coming up the big leagues after the Rockets move on from other fringe players with a similar provenance like Josh Christopher or Garuba no.

Calling our draft picks "assets" and "capital" obscures this... But if they're capital then, you know, use the capital to transact and get better, rather than throwing another scratch off ticket scrub in the bin with the rest

napalm06, DaDakota and Aruba77 like this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Solid analysis. I agree w Lachard that I wouldn’t take on Collins at this point at all. Especially considering we don’t know who we’re drafting ….

I damn sure don’t want to trade KJ at all. Like non.

8. Raven

Raven Member

It might be the dumbest thing the Rockets can do before the deadline. Please remember that everyone thought the Texans had the number one pick locked up and look what happened. If you are tanking then TANK. Don't do one damn thing that even remotely risk hurting your lottery odds.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Rockets should keep searching, be patient a bigger star will grow frustrated and want out:
    Come this summer Trey Young could be on the move. Or the Wolves might implode soon.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

Collins is like crack.

Just say no.

Corrosion and clutchdabear like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not really except when you consider that the current Rox are the newest G-League expansion franchise instead of an NBA team full of NBA Players. So maybe it does a little.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It could make sense as a buy low and flip move, but that would require Stone to do something he hasn't shown yet... to actually flip a player at the right time.

Collins averaged 21.5 ppg 10 boards and 1.5 blocks on a STUNNING Curry-level elite scoring efficiency (66 TS%) at 22 years old 3 seasons ago, in a very bizarre career arc he's been increasingly less productive and less efficient every season since. If he could have just continued with modest growth from that season, he'd probably make some all star games and be dubbed STAT 2.0. Not sure what happened.

If Stone and Eli believed they could turn him around for whatever reason (not sure why anybody would have that confidence considering our teams performances though) and we could get him in a deal for EG with Martin or a protected first as the asset, it's something to consider at that price. The biggest question here is Jabari, but I'd be fine with rolling him at SF next to an offensive 4 like Collins.

13. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Collins peaked while he was still able to regularly take PEDs. Now he's just an injury-prone mess who will very likely never get back to his former peak. Really don't understand the infatuation with this guy by some on this board when the rest of the NBA has said no thank you to trade proposals involving John Collins.

If he was in trade discussions with Atlanta adding an unprotected first, then MAYBE I'd be listening. But not the other way around.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U use your draft capital on a star. John collins ain't gonna do much.

Any trade that involves us giving up a 1st round pick is a no.

15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

If Wolves explodes please get Kyle Anderson. Except Rockets games he had double digits scores recently. How we kept him just 2 points in combined 45 minutes in two games is a questionmark. It must be the highest success of the season.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It makes about as much sense as another thread on the same thing.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I think we're saying the same thing.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see the point unless we're giving up on Jabari already.

Corrosion, jayhow92 and saleem like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

John Collins makes no sense to me.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

There’s a reason nobody is jumping to trade for him