1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. likestohypeguy

Probably when charging stations are the norm and I'm hypermiling around for the nearest gas station.

2. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

When we can fully charge in 3 minutes, I'll consider one. Saw a guy on TV who charged is Tesla for 30 minutes just to get a measly 10 miles of range.

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I can't tell if you're trolling or just misinformed, but that's a terrible take. EVs aren't perfect, but there is no need to use a contrived out of the norm scenario to discredit it.

Your anecdote is as bad as me saying that I won't buy a gas car because I saw someone on TV having to walk 5 miles with a jerrycan to get gas from a gas station.

Sajan likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is the first time the Biden administration has engaged with Musk or Tesla after having an adversarial relationship in the past. As I said, these price cuts are putting the screws to Biden’s biggest union backers, he is going to concede and come to the table now.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Stop trolling.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We know very little of the substance of the conversation. The White House said next to nothing, Musk even less. One could easily read it as the Biden administration asking Musk to go with universal charging like in the EU while casually mentioning all the big contracts SpaceX has with the Feds.

FrontRunner likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Electric car charging in NYC, 1911:

[​IMG]

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

We do know what they discussed and it was not about shared charging.

"John Podesta and Mitch Landrieu met with Elon Musk to discuss shared goals around electrification and how the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and Inflation Reduction Act can advance electric vehicle production and charging as well as the broader cause of electrification," a White House spokesperson told Reuters.

It was about the IRA, which initially excluded the Model Y, prompting Tesla to nuke the entire EV market by lowering prices by $13k + $7.5k tax credits.

It is a significant development and concession by the White House because up until a few months ago they did not even acknowledge the existence of Tesla, never uttered its name, despite pushing EV adoption being a pillar of their agenda, and instead claimed that Mary Barra of General Motors led the way in EVs.

GM sold 38k Bolts in the US last year. Tesla US sales were 540k.

Now the White House have finally come to the table to move forward with Tesla, because continuing the current course will result in the destruction of any future plans by their union constituents at GM and Ford. It is good news for both Tesla and the White House which was starting to look ridiculous with their bias and hypocrisy.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I have to admit that I was initially confused about the massive US price cuts. The narrative was that it was due to slowing demand and increased competition. Except facts do not support this at all. Tesla US sales increased by 78% in 2022, while prices increased throughout the year due to rising material costs and strong demand. Resulting in a strong 65% market share.

As I explained earlier, now we see why. It is an assault on the industry in direct reaction to being excluded from the IRA. Say what you will about Elon Musk’s persona, but when it comes to business decisions I can assure you no one else would have had the balls to do this. Sacrificing their profit margin to bring the Model Y below the price cap, knowing that no one else will be able to match the price cut due to EVs being unprofitable everywhere else. Elon weaponized his profit margins. Bringing the industry and administration to their knees. The stock market understood this immediately which is why it bottomed literally the day the price cut was announced and is up 80% since then.

It will be fascinating to follow future developments. There are only two paths forward. 1. The administration conceding and reclassifying the Model Y as an SUV, allowing a $80k price cap which will result in Tesla slowly hiking prices back up. This will increase profit for Tesla, but also give competitors breathing room to continue their expansion plans. 2. Stay with the status quo which will mean a decline in Tesla profit margin, but massive increase in market share. Going into a recession, this will put competition on the brink.

#1669 CXbby, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You're reading a lot into one purposefully vague sentence and you're reading it with Musk-colored glasses. The fact is we don't know the particulars of what was discussed or if Musk was trying to counter the press he got from meeting with McCarthy or if charging networks were the focus or if EV technology was discussed or if it is as you say or multiple things. It is always good to remember that both Tesla and Space-X are endeavors heavily influenced by the federal government and both are dependent on the feds as to regulations and contracts. OK, That's that as I don't want to turn this into D&D.

Sajan and FrontRunner like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

We don’t know the exact details, but as someone who has closely followed this industry for many years this is an aboutface to how the administration has interacted (or lack there of) with Tesla. It does not take much to connect this with the massive price cut that just happened which directly impacts the administration’s union backers. This is not much of a leap, and we will see soon what comes out of it.

As to Musk’s so called dependency on the government, you may want to look further into that rather than following false media narratives. Tesla has not qualified for any tax credits since 2018 when the Model 3 first started deliveries, qualifying for 6 months before it expired. Tesla’s meteoric rise the last few years had nothing to do with the government. This is why the IRA would have been such a big boost, because it would be the first time the Model Y and 3 can take advantage of it in full.

As for Spacex, yes the government is a customer, and by providing 5-10x cheaper access to orbit compared to the alternative(United Launch Alliance), Spacex is saving the government, and in turn taxpayers, billions of dollars. I guess you can call that dependency on the government since they are a customer, but when it comes to Musk people say that to show how he is leeching off tax payer dollars when the opposite is true.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh, let me just gush about how amazing Tesla and its genius leader, Elon Musk, are. I mean, who needs gasoline cars and fossil fuels when we have electric vehicles that are just so much better for the environment, am I right? And let's not forget about all the groundbreaking technology that Tesla is pioneering, like self-driving cars and renewable energy storage. I mean, it's not like any other company is working on those things or anything. Oh, and let's not forget about Musk's incredible humility and modest personality. I mean, who wouldn't want to be led by a visionary like that? Truly, Tesla and Elon are the epitome of perfection.

Sajan likes this.
  13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

chat gpt premium account?

KingCheetah, Sajan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. KingCheetah

GPT+

Sajan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

oil is well positioned to reach 150+ $ by the end of this year, Fed will be helpless to tame the market and commodities prices this time. (Charts perspective things)

16. KingCheetah

New Hyundai XR4Ti looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That Ioniq 6 really does looks like a successor to the XR4Ti. It doesn't look too bad from the front, though.

Sajan likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dat ass doe

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

These are the sort of clueless people that you want to slap around with a 30 day old dead rotten fish with a shrimp stuck in its mouth reeking of bad breath.