1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does trading for John Collins make any sense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Lachard Binkley

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It doesn't make cents or dollars.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Trading for John collin just bc u want a few more wins is stupid and a waste of assets.

We are at 11 wins how many more wins do u think collins can net us?

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m guessing the trade would be to add a veteran presence for next year and beyond, not to get wins this year.

jim1961, SamFisher and clos4life like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shouldn't our goal be to GET better....?????

If he makes us better, and we get rid of Eric Gordon and add a vet presence that fits better, then heck yes.....

He is not "The DUDE" but he is better than what we have, and that is one thing Morey always did strived to get incrementally better.

DD

6. dmoneybangbang

I wouldn't say "0 sense"...... It's one of those "devil is in the details" types of things. We shouldn't unconditionally love any of our current squad as I feel like many fans are trying to picture Collins with this current roster.

Murray would be my target....

Feels like the Trae market is going to start simmering in the offseason.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

A 25 year old isn't a vet target I would aim for. We had c. Wood and u know how that went. Draft or find players that address our weakest position which is currently pg. Save assets instead of going for players like Collins

9. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

It does. Hakeem is not walking through that door. No big name free agent/trade target is walking through that door. The only one we have a slight chance at is Harden, and if we have Collins on our roster instead of Gordon, that would be much more appealing to him.

Le$$ and DaDakota like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think from a pure talent perspective it makes sense, but it also means we have a strangely structured team. I'm guessing the deal would be KMJ and EG for Collins meaning our only SF on the team is Tate.

If you trade for Collins then it means Jabari will be getting 15 mpg and maybe he should only be getting that much. If Jabari does develop next year then you have a bit of a logjam at PF unless you think Jabari can play SF some. I don't think he can.

Also, Collins has missed a ton of time in his career with injuries. Kind of worrisome acquiring a guy who has been injured a ton that is having a big time down year shooting after sustaining a finger injury.

All that said beggars can't be choosers.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

An emphatic no.

YOLO, saleem and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. DaDakota

Collins is the type of player we should be looking at, we can get him at a reasonable contract for his talent level and we have him locked up for 3 more years and we still have max money to spend.

It allows us to surround Sengun with height at times with Collins and Jabari.....

BEST PLAYER PLAYS - let's not get all caught up in maybes when we have a solid right there.

DD

13. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Another trade darling Myles Turner and Co conceded 85 points in a half.
    Turner got 4 grand rebounds in 20 minutes (so far) and people want Myles as upgrade.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched Turner in a long time. Was it his fault or was it the team's fault? I know they don't really have any defensive stalwarts on their roster.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jabari can play the three. It may even give him more opportunities shooting over people.

Nook likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

If we get Collins.... then he can take the rest of the season off to have surgery and/or allow his finger to heal. That's a unique positive.

The fit is a big issue. Collins, Jabari, and Sengun would need to split 96 minutes between PF/C, which doesn't sound too hard but one of them would have to come off the bench.

Corrosion and robbie380 like this.
  17. DaDakota

It doesn't mean that at all, Jabari can start at SF, and you surround Sengun with 2 bigs that are 6'11".....it helps our rim D a ton.

KPJ
    Green
    Bari
    Collins
    Sengun

Is a lot better than anything we roll out there right now.

DD

Y2JT and robbie380 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Turner is a bad rebounder, but gets lots of blocks. I have changed my mind, probably not a good fit. Our real trade target should be a vet point guard.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

What is the probability to have a defensive stalwart when you concede 85 in a half?

20. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I only seeing the John Collins rumors making sense if they can unload Gordon, Tate and some of those rookie contracts that don't play much (Garuba, Christopher, Nix, Fernando type players). By doing this it won't eat up as much cap room.

I would not give up more than the Bucks pick as far as draft capital. Including KJ Martin or any other draft picks would be a deal breaker.

DaDakota and AroundTheWorld like this.