1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential trade for John Collins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 27, 2023.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just accept that Sam is always right and is the smartest person on CF.net and likely the smartest person on the entire Internet.

Outlier, cml750, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

dude is just a weirdo who for some reason thinks he’s actually funny and clever

3. i3artow i3aller

More of these types popping up everyday it seems :eek:
    [​IMG]

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I didn’t mention Collins. I have no problem improving this team, not sure if he’s the guy so I’m pretty much meh on it.

You’ve gone down a Debbie downer path on all of them. Again, I don’t know what they look like 3 years ago but relative to contemporaries in their drafts they could absolutely be best in their class. I don’t regret the draft decision making at this point.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think it’s feasible a re-build (meaning to find 1 or maybe 2) guys you feel certain in building around can take 5 years. Meaning we are 2.5 years in.

If we draft #4 and have to take a leftover Thompson or Miller than I’m either wanting to trade that pick up and other assets for a veterans star or just continue to tank and hope the picks dont convey.

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need more talent and experience on this team. We could always trade Collins if he does not fit but he need talented veterans. Has anyone checked out the summer free agency??? Poor…

whag00 and SamFisher like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not really just smarter than you.

;)

DD

robbie380 likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We should try to trade Eric Gordon, but for a low turnover, steady hand point guard, not for another frontcourt player.

Contrary to what Silas and Stone might think, the frontcourt is not our problem (and will hopefully be even less of a problem after the draft).

clutchdabear and El_Conquistador like this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

The only ay I do this trade is if it was straight up EG for Collins, no KMJ and no 1st round draft picks. The Hawks would not do that so I so I say no thank you.

Y2JT and Corrosion like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think it's a Debbie Downer path as much as a realistic one - it's just exceedingly rare to find franchise level players at any draft spot.

Paolo might be one. LaMelo maybe. Ja Morant, Zion - and that's like the last 4 drafts.

None of the Rockets players look as good as those guys. Eye test or stat wise, save Sengun, who has the "can't play Kanter" issue looming

DaDakota likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun is better than Banchero. He is also better than Zion.

clutchdabear and cml750 like this.
  12. SamFisher

I know it's crazy but let me tell you from experience - it's possible to have a bad take on the internet and shake it off, admit error (or not) and move on without throwing a little "i hate u bro u trash" tantrum.

It's possible to have jokes that don't land. Or think piece takes that get crickets. Frankly when that like button sits there empty it's like a dagger to my soul.

I've had many bad takes about the Rockets, I'll have many more. Some were bad in hindsight, some were bad in foresight. Some were so bad they were good.

That's just the life of a poster.

txtodd likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Word? Then how come Atlanta has had him on the trade block for 3 years and yet he’s still there?

people are sounding desperate now and latching on to anyone just because “we need more talent” or “he’s better than what we have”

15. SamFisher

Sure, they asked for a bigger return, now the price has dropped, via Sam Amick:

In some scenarios, the Hawks are merely asking for a quality player in return (and not a first-round pick), according to league sources​

The Rockets meanwhile have had a failed rebuild and are facing a season where it makes more sense to win than to lose. You can call it desperate - well that's what the situation is on year 3 of being historically bad with no real hope in sight.

Its desperate, sad, depressing - it's just bad to have 5 years of futility with no plan and no hope. So, you pivot and try to get incrementally better. That's rational.

None of this stuff requires a galaxy brain.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

This fool again?

[​IMG]

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Because the Brooklyn 2027 unprotected pick is part of the trade.

That pick is one of the most valuable assets in the entire league currently. No way in hell I add that pick for John Collins. I'm only throwing that pick into a deal for a real star .... Jah or someone similar. Not John Collins.

Sure, I'd do EG and the Milwaukee pick for Collins but that wasn't the discussion.

napalm06 and Rokman like this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Any trade where you walk away with the best player involved is usually a good sign. It is a gamble when dealing picks and the potential they have but Collins is a legit NBA player. That said statistically he is trending downward but I don't know enough about the Hawks or him as a player to know why.

19. SamFisher

20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yep. Idiots running outta material I guess lol

maj21 likes this.