1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential trade for John Collins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 27, 2023.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What about Brooklyn Nets pick with lottery protection? KJ + Pick with Lotto Protection, plus EG is not bad. I know article stated two FRPs, but just curious on your thoughts there. I like KJ, but not that much. I don't care to pay Collins $25M since that's not even a max contract, especially with the cap likely increasing the next few years.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

1. I don't get why "getting john collins" = "writing off our draft picks"

2. I don't think it's inappropriate to update our beliefs about our draft picks based on evidence - they have played A LOT and a lot of the things we see as problems are not things that Frank Vogel and his assistants are going to change.

Sengun is not goign to get laterally quicker or taller on defense. Smith is not an off-the-dribble/creator at an elite level that you need to be a superstar (the way Sengun, in contrast, actually is). Hopefully his shot comes around and he becomes a good role player. Green is a low efficiency chucker and defensive sieve - could trend up, could trend down, superstar/MVP level is looking unlikely even though it's a ridiculously high bar to set for the guy, but that's what happens when you have a team utterly bereft of talent.

maj21 likes this.
  3. Denovo

Denovo Member

I agree I wouldn’t overpay for him.

YOLO likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's 25. 2 years younger than Tate. The Rockets have lots of room, and say it with me folks- the cap is expected to go up

maj21, jim1961 and Aruba77 like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

i wouldn't add any picks. EG+KJ is more than enough for a injury prone player like him

I think KJ is a solid role player who has gotten better. He can help a lot of good teams

Those assets need to be used correctly. As we know our recent prior picks that were just gifted were embarrassingly mishandled

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

To me Cwood was going to tie up lot of money, rocket moved him for first because he was moving to a similar or even a heavier price tag than Collins. Wood was a defensive liability down low.

Collins 5/25 is not bad contract but he is not producing for atl offensively because of being pulled from lineup. Defensively he is.

He could flip the switch here as a guaranteed role and being playoff vet who can mentor jabari. Not bad get, seems like a good trade. He's what 25? Still very young. Rockets need the defense at center, they can move Segun to PF.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why not simply Take that the Suns are offering

Rocket River

clutchdabear and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. Raven

Raven Member

So the Rockets are going to derail their tank job for a marginal roster upgrade? Makes no sense to me.

clutchdabear and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Millennium_Fan

Then what happens if we get wemby? Bari to the bench? This trade just dont make sense. Roll with kjm and hope he can keep improving

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think Collins is capable of derailing our tank as bad as we are.

BMoney likes this.
  11. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not Saric/Crowder/1st for Gordon straight up?

maypk likes this.
  12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Never thought Collins was a "winning player"!
    Wouldn't even give up KMJ and Ego for him straight up, much less an unprotected pick several years down the road!
    Sheer madness!

If Stone makes that trade I would personally move him PAST SILAS on the list of people/things that are detrimental to this franchise!
    And that's saying a lot!

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would rather keep the picks and let them sign someone worse this summer if they absolutely must sign someone.

This move would destroy us. If a playoff team that doesn’t have another PF is getting rid of him, there is no reason to acquire him unless he’s the Yoda of NBA mentors.

Hope they’re thinking three way trade.

#273 Mathloom, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    clutchdabear and DatRocketFan like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

His hand still never healed, correct?

There's a good reason his shot went away.

Not to mention his foot injuries. Gotta be some shenanigans afoot.

[​IMG]

#274 i3artow i3aller, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Hawks approached us peeps…relax. That being said, if WE trade away picks and KJ and get no picks + a Collins then **** Stone!

16. maj21

maj21 Member

Guys are too attached to every player we’ve drafted. Collins is a clear upgrade! Don’t we complain about not being competitive? You do this trade to get better. We’ll still be a bottom 3 team to have a shot a Wemby. Beggars can’t be choosers

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Marginal upgrade to screw up the tank just bc some folks can't stomach us losing.

Collins ain't a different maker to b giving up unprotected first round pick(s)

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Collins isn't a center though.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

WTF

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That was what I was thinking .....

That '27 Brooklyn unprotected pick might be one of the highest valued assets in the league right now.

No way am I attaching that pick for John Collins.