1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Potential trade for John Collins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I understand that, and you are correct.... Ideally the Rockets would be wise with their cap space. Perhaps even take on a bad contract for assets.... but that isn't what Stone or Fertitta will do. They are going to spend that cap space... and they will not get good players to sign with the Rockets in free agency...... so I would rather have Collins than the other garbage they will sign. At least Collins is a solid player.

Denovo and ROXTXIA like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh i know. This is their panic and desperation. That's just how they are. If it isn't Collins, it's going to be some other middle of the road player who isn't an actual star.

It's pretty clear how the FO and owner operate. That's why the Rockets as a franchise are in bad hands. It's been that way since Tilman became owner

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

If this dude is all upset about Collins.... then he is going to be DEVASTATED when the Rockets spend their cap space vastly overpaying someone like Malik Beasley or Jaxson Hayes..... only to attach a #1 to this same contract to move them in a couple of years.

4. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Completely agree with you here. I’m not sure why people would hate this trade. Collins is the best player in the entire ‘proposed’ trade and all we’d give up is an unhappy EG, a lottery protected first, and a Brooklyn first which would likely be 20-30 anyway. The best asset we’d be giving up is KJ and he’ll likely never be as good as Collins.

Denovo likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

prepare yourselves for a John Collins trade and splash D’angelo Russell signing in the offseason

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pg is my biggest concern. U don't address this everybody suffers. Running kpj again next year is just Gonna repeat the same result.

U clearly can't stomach the tanking process. I ain't gonna judge the youngsters too harshly bc they were set up to fail in the first place. John collins does fit the timeline but he as much of a vet as c. Wood was, nobody is gonna take him seriously.

Nook likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Mediocrity train all aboard

8. Nook

Nook Member

Short of Fertitta being arrested for insider trading, the best thing that can happen for the Rockets is to get the #2 pick and take Scoot Henderson. He will fill the point guard position, and he will have zero issue calling out the owner and Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr. and everyone else that literally gives up on possessions after 3-4 seconds.

If Fertitta fired Stone and Silas, and he has a little luck in the lottery.... he could walk into a good situation. Then again, it would require him hiring a GM that doesn't just tell him what he wants to hear and a coach that holds players accountable - and that isn't likely to happen. Maybe Kevin Porter Jr. can be the head coach next year if the Rockets get the #5 pick.

napalm06 and SamFisher like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

love your takes Nook! I’m not sure Jabari is suited to the 3, mainly because of his lack of handles and stiffness, but honestly I don’t care. Collins is just as talented and I don’t think Jabari coming off the bench (as long as he gets 30 min.) is an unacceptable proposition. Jabari could learn a lot from Collins.

Nook likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So how does acquiring John Collins automatically mean that the Rockets are "running kpj again next year" - the two things are entirely unrelated.

The whole point of the tanking process is not to acquire useful role players like Tari Eason or Jabari Smith if eh could ever shoot, but to acquire foundational superstars - Joel Embiid was/is the lone result of THE PROCESS basically, and it worked. The Rockets have failed in that thus far (even Sengun may be more of a complement due to his phsycial lmits).

SO yeah, I can't stomach 3 years of being terrible - the very worst - and basically having almost nothing to show for it. I don't think this makes me unusual.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Giving up on tanking process to try to get wins with John collins is not gonna save us. U save your assets to trade for a disgruntled star If the draft process fails.

Tank to find a foundational piece or hoard assets to trade for one. It's not that complicated.

I do not want a repeat of the years being stuck on the mediocre treadmill, this desperate act to net a few more wins with John collins ain't it.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Hell no!
    Jabar out played him and that is sad.

robbie380 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

John is not a FA and won’t have a say on where he goes. If he can still hit a 3 it’s not a bad get. My only problem is doing it before we know what we get in the draft. I also wouldn’t give up much more than KPJ, Gordon, or KJM and the Milwaukee pick and some 2nd rounders. Maybe Gordon and either KPJ or KJM plus a low frp pick

14. Nook

Nook Member

Unless the Rockets get Henderson or Thompson in the draft, or Stone is fired - the Rockets are not going to get a starting level point guard in free agency because they have Kevin Porter Jr.

Rockets fans have to be realistic.

Denovo and JayGoogle like this.
  15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’m a fan of this trade concept but would want it to be KMJ+Gordon+Bucks pick. I dont know about a second first rounder.

It really sets up the front court unless we have to deal with picking #1. Even then, it is conceivable to bring VW off the bench for a bit.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We are doomed then.

17. SamFisher

LOL, ok whatever man, I have literally no idea what your prerference here but it seems like you want the Rockets to both improve but also be bad and also bring in veterans and also stand pat and also install new coaching who will not doubt want new players.

I can't make heads or tails, nor do I want to.

You can send back your hamburger and wait for the filet mignon that you know is coming around the corner and go hungry until then - but it's funny that you'guys talk about the perils of being on "the mediocrity treadmill" when the Rockets don't control their own drafts in 2 out of the next 3 seasons.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes wasting our picks for John Collins just to miss play in just to satisfy your desires for a few more wins is sure worth delaying the rebuilding process.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the point of John Collins. Are they giving up on Jabari already?

20. SamFisher

"wasting our picks for John collins" - we're literally talking about a mid to late first or 2 here - like that's it, that's all.

You know what also delays the rebuidlign process? Falling in love with your own drafted losers and thinking the worst team in the NBA has a bunch of diamonds in the rough with just a few minor tweaks.