1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Eric Gordon seeking buyout - trying to make his way to the Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I told you guys they were never offered a first round pick and not the second round picks either.

Now that teams know he’ll fight for a buyout after the deadline there’s no incentive to pay anything for him.

Really dumb to keep such an incompatible vet around the team. We didn’t win games and we didn’t play well. Every bad habit the young players are demonstrating can be seen in Gordon’s performance whether it’s whining to the refs, whining for shots or blaming teammates for what’s going on. Everything that could have gone wrong - though not major - did go wrong.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

I could see Rockets holding on to him and let him sit at home. Stone messed up badly with this. Gordon clearly is not doing anything in terms of veteran leadership on the court.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. hahachui

hahachui Member

A lineup of
    Kpj
    Green
    Tari
    Martin
    Ap

is Sexy

BHannes2BHonest and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Imagine playin him heavy mins just for him to buy out.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Play him heavy minutes and he is gassed, can't even play well for the Suns.

Not helping us or them.

Suns are a fringe Playoff team either way.

RasaqBoi and hajkov like this.
  6. VoR

VoR Member

I think there are complications with a trade before the deadline with Phoenix because of the finalizing of the team sale.

It’s the team he wants to go to, but the sale is mucking it all up.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Everyone knows EG has a fetish for sorority white girls. ASU got better hoes than Temple.

BHannes2BHonest, BigShasta and maj21 like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're not taking back salary/multi year contracts.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

To Lakers
    Crowder
    Payne
    Second round pick (Phoenix)

To Suns
    Gordon
    Washington

To Rockets
    Beverley
    Johnson
    Lakers top 8 protected #1 pick

Would rather take a lakers pick with protections than a late 1 from suns....

All expiring contracts back. Beverley can maybe scare these kids for a few months telling them they will end up in russia like him if they don't play harder...

Dobbizzle and Y2JT like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

pippendagimp, eman and maj21 like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought salary matching was a NBA trade thing.

Plowman likes this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

Other GMs have seen right through Gordon's supposed value. The correct move would have been to ship everyone out post-Harden, whether you get a return or not. Stone has foolishly thought you can rebuild while adding/retaining dysfunctional players.

It's pretty worrisome that our young core hasn't been a part of a healthy, professional basketball culture. The front office has failed them here.

Stone did inherit an undersized roster that lacked talent and was aging. But his decision not to play John Wall was weird and only added to the drama. Wall had been used to sitting on the bench and not playing. And he wanted the money. My best guess is that Eric Gordon was too much of a professional to take that sort of slide.

It's a little inconceivable, but Fertitta may be thinking, "Ok, the tear down took a little longer than I might have liked, but Stone finally got Eric Gordon taken care of. Good. We're in a position to add another young top 5 pick, Let's see what Stone can do after this year's draft."

The call for patience is wearing a little thin.

cml750 likes this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

uh…

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The problem has always been the salary matching. The Rockets have been emphatic that they will not take back salary that extends past this year. You can disagree with that philosophy if you want, but I would not give up cap space for an end of the round 1st or 2nds. We also have to have roster spots to take back more players than you send out. So teams sending only back expiring contracts usually means multiple 5M and 3m. I just think the first year of the re-build is when they should have traded Gordon. After that nothing remotely reasonable was being offered.

No Worries and cml750 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gordon is relatively healthy at his age and a better shooter than Wall whose injuries kept coming back at him.

I could see him having good relationships to other Rox staff members so he has an advantage over Wall.

They know he isn't the future.

Not moving him in time was a full failure.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

BHannes2BHonest, PWR and maj21 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly, we are saving that cap space to vastly overpay someone mediocre this summer and try to trade them 2-3 years from now.

18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Dude doesn't have much more time to play at a rotation-worthy level. Let him go and move on. Jaygup needs his minutes at this point.

napalm06 likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Jackson Gatlin is by far the funniest rockets media member. **** got me dying over here, idk how I didn’t see that post a few years ago lol

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Welcome to the 2022-2023 clown show called the “Houston Rockets”!!!!! Add to that….imagine losing 60+ games this year for a mediocre talent like Amen Thompson because that’s the reality of the morons running the team as they tank in a system designed to prevent tanking.