1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Avatar 2: The Way of Water

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 21, 2021.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't want to hate on Cameron's accomplishment, but it's a lot different to set box office records with a franchise like Avatar vs another movie.

1. People pay for the upgraded 3D/Enhanced experience. Normally a movie ticket is $10, Avatar is like $18 with 3D, IMAX, etc. That makes huge difference when it comes to total box office.
    2. Because of reason 1, this movie is one where it's almost only worth seeing in theaters. People come to watch the visuals and not the story. The story is very bland but the movie is worth it to watch because of the spectacular visuals.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Avatar tickets didn't cost more than any other blockbuster/marvel/major screen release. Not sure if that was also the case 13 years ago when there were less marvel movies...

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

4. Buck Turgidson

Now I have that song stuck in my head...

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think it's safe to say this here: "I havent heard anyone talk about this movie". You say this anywhere else on the internet and Avatar stans go nutz.

But seriously, this movie is going crazy with the $$$ and I just don't hear anything about it. No lore, no easter eggs, no anticipation for the other films. I haven't seen it yet and I have yet to be spoiled on the plot.

has this been anyone else's experience? I'm I just not deep in Avatar culture to see the impact?

im bumping this thread as an example of no one here talking about it. its kind of weird.

ALSO: m not sh*ting on the film. I dont care if it becomes the highest grossing film of all time. I'm just curious. I haven't seen anything like this before. I dont feel the hype for this film at all.

#125 DreamShook, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hype it bro.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nearly everyone in my friends and family circle watched it and loved the movie, I think it's just that the movie is simply good, not too deep entertainment and not really divisive.

The only discussions we had (and only once after watching, there's just not more to explore) was that it's good but some thought too much like the first movie.

Besides that there's just not much too talk about lore-wise or for the characters, compared to let's say Star War's. This isn't the kind of movie where you go balls deep theorycrafting what happens in the next movie.

mikol13 and DreamShook like this.
  8. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Looking all the some of the other highest grossing films: Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, Disney, etc. they have long standing history and built in fanbases. And even if you aren't a fan, you're still familiar with those franchises.

And If you watched a movie from any of those other franchises and you wanted to geek out on them, there's books, tv shows, spin-offs, etc. to cultivate your interest.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Just like you can speak something into existence, Cameron has literally marketed his creation into existence. And that's ok. But it shows you that in life, sometimes all you need to do it show up. And that's what Cameron has done. Avatar is a thing.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is an interesting discussion to be had about how these movies seem to be largely viewed as "meh" by "the internet" while the overal general population worldwide continues to pump money at it. So many of the other bigger franchises and box office success stories have terrabytes of data online discussing them, their canon, etc...but Avatar doesn't seem to have much of that. And yet it continues to rake in the dough. I guess Cameron is just very good at speaking to the average movie-goer, if not the average internet geek. I do find it pretty fascinating, myself.

Edit: in fact, I would say there is as much online discussion about how in the world the Avatar movies keep making money as there is discussion about the actual content of the movies.

DreamShook likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the Avatar movies there isn't much discusion because the plot and the characters aren't that deep. Most of them are not much more than cardboard cutouts and the story isn't original or unique. What's great about the Avatar series is the visuals, the planet Pandora and the technology. Those are very impressive and a lot of thought was put into creating those.
    For example the ship that takes humans to Pandora is very well thought out:

Beyond that there's not really much to discuss about the the motivations of Jake Sulley or twists in the plot.

mikol13, Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

Caesar likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think the studio(s) are using this film to launder money.

DreamShook and JumpMan like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

told myself earlier I would head to the theater to see this movie, but then completely forgot about it

just not feeling it I guess…Idk why tho

15. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Dude its a chore honestly. It was way overlong and did not add much to the Universe or story. I am floored at how it is killing it at the box office, as I feel the buzz is nowhere close to the first one with people I know or have met/talked to. I just dont get it.

DreamShook and Reeko like this.