1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT WC Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Aug 12, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They announced an investigation, they talked about it, I am sure he will sue them and the Reynas...

DD

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He can't sue US Soccer for announcing an investigation into him when there was an investigation. If's not slander or defamatory. It's simply what happened. It would get laughed out of court in a heartbeat. Yeah, people have sued for less...but I'm guessing he wants to work again, too.

The Reyna's on the other hand, he might have a case against them.

3. DaDakota

They would be part of the same suit.

DD

4. leroy

What part aren't you understanding? Announcing an investigation isn't defamation.

5. DaDakota

No, but being part of a conspiracy to defame the man is, and the USMNT did not have to announce anything they could have just done the investigation internally.

They were told something in CONFIDENCE by Mrs Reyna - they didn't have to act on that, they didn't have to do anything yet, they launched an investigation and ANNOUNCED IT - that alone makes them party to the lawsuit.

I don't know if any of you have lawsuit experience, but I certainly do, and I guarantee they would be a party in any lawsuit filed.

DD

6. leroy

Defamation requires the statement be false. It's not false. It happened. Berhalter said so himself.

Was it sh*tty what the Reyna's did? Absolutely. They took their adult son's professional career into their own hands because of nonsense. They put their best friend's career into jeopardy because of a thing that happened 31 years ago and had been dealt with 31 years ago. But it ain't defamation. And the fact that US Soccer said publicly they were investigating isn't either. You're just wrong on this one.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Claudio Reyna taking out his trash while on a run through the neighborhood. Happy to deliver any and all CF BBS takes to him in person.

8. leroy

Quit being an example to the world what's wrong with soccer in the United States.

mtbrays likes this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I should've jokingly said I'd serve him with a subpoena for DD's court ;)

I would never actually say anything to him; this is all just sports. They made a mistake and will hopefully learn from it. Reyna is down bad right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Austin FC moves on from him as a result of this. It's a shame considering his contributions to the national team.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

What in the blue f**k of all your jibberjabber are you actually talking about?

mtbrays likes this.
  11. DaDakota

If Berhalter is not kept he will sue, you guys watch.

DD

12. Buck Turgidson

His contract expired on 12/31, do you think that USA Soccer is obligated to rehire him?

13. leroy

Never said he wouldn't sue. I just said it would get laughed out of court as he has no grounds to sue. I also said it would be stupid because, assuming they don't bring him back, he's going to want to be employed somewhere.

14. DaDakota

No it would not be laughed out at all - trust me, I fought one for 3 years and the guy made up bullshit after bullshit and I ran up over 6 figures in bills consistently proving he lied in his declarations and was facing contempt in the end, he had to pay a ton to stay out of prison for contempt, but it took 3 years to get there, most people/orgs settle.

DD

15. leroy

You think that's apples to apples? This would be slightly more in the public sphere, don't you think?

1. It's not defamation. Defamation requires a false statement.
    2. He wasn't wrongfully terminated. His contract ended and they have no obligation to bring him back.
    3. Announcing an investigation isn't defamation. There is no obligation to keep it private.
    4. Why would he sue? He wants the job back. If he doesn't get that, he wants to work somewhere else in world football. Suing would be the dumbest thing he could do and he's not a dumb person.

It's sh**ty that the Reyna's did this. But it's not false. As soon as the defense attorney calls Berhalter to the stand and asks him, "Did you kick your now wife when you were 18?" and he answers "yes", case dismissed.

16. DaDakota

Good watching the Youngest USMNT ever tonight on HBO max....some good young kids in the pipeline....can't help but think my son should be there, if he just kept playing....dang it....

DD