1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Sloppy seconds? The last two head coaches were dug up from under a rock and rolled over on their knees… that wasn’t seconds or thirds or fourths… that was what you find coming out of the sewer when it floods.

3. Buck Turgidson

from nfl.com

The league also included new rules in the offseason designed to slow the hiring process. If a team wishes to interview a head-coaching candidate who's either not in the playoffs or the No. 1 seed in the playoffs, it must wait until three days after the conclusion of the candidate's Week 18 game. In other words, if a team with a vacancy wants to interview a playoff team, it must wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to conduct a virtual interview.

If a team wishes to interview a head-coaching candidate whose team is in the wild-card round, it must wait until the Tuesday or Wednesday after the wild-card round, depending upon what day that team played. That interview could be in person or virtual.

Teams must conduct their initial interview with candidates currently employed by an NFL team before the conclusion of the divisional playoff round. No second interview will be allowed for a candidate on a playoff team until that team is eliminated from postseason contention or until the bye week before the Super Bowl, should the team be competing in the Super Bowl.

Marteen, Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I have no questions about Ryans the person and leader. I do have some questions about him as a head football coach. It is hard to know how good he is with the situation he is in.

I was told Cal McNair really wants him as HC because of his history as a Texan and having had a number of former Texans vouch for him.

Not sure the Texans get him without a strong early commitment to him. It will be interesting to see. Even with my questions, it’s a good hire if the Texans get him compared to their past moves.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thanks.

Certainly with what little I've learned about the front office, it certainly seems like something Cal would want. For many reasons.

I'm wondering what the Demeco side of things feels. Also wondering what his fit with Caserio would be like. And what role Andre would have in helping Cal accomplish this goal, as well as going forward.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. raining threes

Payton bring credibility.

Ryans brings hope, just like every other candidates. Bunch of homers up in here.

CVcrew and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Doesn't that apply to every coach who's never been a head coach before?

8. raining threes

Gannon has been just as good this year.

I want to see who's on Demeco's staff before I pass judgement.

If Demeco is the next HC, I hope he can talk guys like Aziz/Omenihu/Ward to join his dense down on Kirby.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. raining threes

Not necessarily, think of Buddy Ryan before he became a HC. You knew he would build a great defense. Do you truly know this about Demeco or Gannon for that matter.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Right, and he was a .500 head coach who never won a playoff game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. raining threes

Who had great defenses.

I'm wanting offense early and often in the next draft. If Demeco becomes the HC, I hope Kubiak helps him as a consultant find a QB and Kubiak works with said QB.

If this happens I'm hoping Phillips or one of Kubiaks kids becomes OC. I would also be happy with LaFluer as OC.

#3791 raining threes, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If it's out of Payton and Demeco... bring in Payton. I would like Demeco though.

bballjunkie and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The fit with Caserio would be just fine…look back at Caserio comments on looking for the next Mike Tomlin…also go back to his most recent comments at the recent press conference where he talked about being in a supplementary role etc.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

After their showing last night, no thanks.

gatsby, Rudyc281, bballjunkie and 4 others like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I still continue to hear its Demeco Ryans or Jonathan Gannon.” — Jonathan Jones, CBS

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have no idea who I want because who could know anything about these guys?

but if demeco brings back the kubiak offense I like that. Both guys scare me

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Does that mean you like Gannon? If the Cowboys score 27 points today will you be out on Ryans?

You have to look at what he (and all the candidates) did this entire season and not just 1 game. Did they make adjustments, leadership traits, do players players respond to them, etc.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Heard a sound bite from Peyton Manning this week about how “halftime adjustments” don’t really exist and teams just repeat what they do in the first half because there’s no time at halftime to change anything. What is one of the things fans focus on the most when discussing coaching? Halftime adjustments of course.

No Worries and justtxyank like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can they build a good staff?

Looking at individual games, or even a season's worth of stats isn't how to hire a head coach. Is the Eagles OC a genius? Or his team stacked with an elite OC, a dynamic star at QB, a great receiving TE, two elite WRs and a dynamic pass catching RB? Id Demeco an elite DC? Or his team stacked with elite players at each level? Is the Eagles DC a genius or does he have an elite pass rush that generates pressure with little blitzing?

Can ANY of them build a staff or will they fill it with a bunch of jabronis they like?

I have no idea. :(

houstonstime and whag00 like this.