1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

JJ D line coach?

2. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I've been seeing this a lot, but I don't really understand it. Demeco has a playoff game to get ready for.

The NFL doesn't allow for in person interviews for a candidate that's still in the playoffs, but they do allow for "Virtual Meetings". This rule was put in place a couple of years ago. If/when their season is over with, THEN i expect all of the in person interviews to begin for DeMeco.

I know it's fun to pick on our poor inept franchise and their ownership, but as of right now, the Texans have done everything they can with their top reported candidates. (Shane, DeMeco, and Gannon)

Referenced rule change: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...es-for-interviewing-head-coaching-candidates/

3. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

To the people complaining about virtual interviews..

You guys do know that most of the coaches they’re interviewing are in the middle of playoff runs? It’s not ideal to hop on plane to go on job interviews when you’re supposed to be preparing for your next opponent. Even if your current employer knows about it.

Everyone on here has jobs. I’m sure there have been instances where you had to do a phone screen/zoom interview, then do an in person interview to get the job.

So everyone just chill. The first coach wasn’t hired until January 27th last year. I know the board is itching to know who’s the next coach. It’s coming.

raining threes, primtim24 and BMoney like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

5. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Sean Payton is not preparing for any playoff games.

6. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I think she is hearing something.. she started to tweet immediately after the Texans interview. It will get very interesting next week.. I think that’s when we start to get a clearer picture of the potential new coach.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

There’s every reason to question the way this organization goes about its business. Sean Payton is not in the middle of a playoff run, and if they were so over the moon with Gannon when they interviewed him last year then why didn’t they hire him then?! Until they prove us wrong, there is absolutely ZERO reason to have faith in Texans ownership and management.

Nook and bballjunkie like this.
  8. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

I wouldn’t put too much stock into josina’s opinions

She’s been carrying water for Deshaun and his camp since he left.

Like she has a personal beef with the Texans

just my 2 cents

9. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

So they’re just supposed to hand Payton a blank check? Let them do their due diligence and make a decision. No use stressing about it. It’s out of our hands anyway.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Who said anything about a check? How about a serious effort if they’re truly exercising diligence? A zoom interview when there’s no reason for one is an amateur move for a major hire like this and shows their lack of true interest in a serious evaluation of Payton as a potential HC.

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

He also was interviewed before in-person interviews were allowed.

In order to get in an interview with Sean Payton when they did, they HAD to either do a zoom interview, OR possibly wait another week after everyone else. They got the interview done to see if there was even interest, and now they know if this will impact their search/timing or not.

I totally agree with most everyone's sentiment that the Texans don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but so far they've done about as much as they could've.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The thought of Demeco as HC with JJ/Andre/Arian on the coaching staff makes me very happy… get er done Cal

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and tmoney1101 like this.
  13. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

https://www.ninersnation.com/platfo...97/49ers-demeco-ryans-head-coaching-interview

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Other outlets reporting Demeco met in-person with Denver, who flew their contingent out to the Bay Area.
    https://www.ninersnation.com/platfo...97/49ers-demeco-ryans-head-coaching-interview

Nook, Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Yes that is how organizations that are doing something for more than PR purposes go about their business. This franchise is a pathetic joke. Instead of meeting these candidates in person, Tweedledee and Tweedledum (Cal and Caserio) are playing the fan base (what’s left of it). In his defense, Cal is too dumb to know what to do otherwise.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Lol. Not happening.

raining threes likes this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I always got the impression that foster wanted nothing to do with football after retirement. He’s too busy microdosing mushrooms to be an assistant coach.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

lol maybe. He apparently said on a podcast he’d happily be an RB coach if Demeco asked him

19. liveguy

liveguy Member

All good, but Payton is gonna be the Broncos coach.

It’s kinda obvious…

DeMeco was able to meet with the Broncos in person on Thursday because it was enough time to do so and fly back to his team.

I’m assuming the Friday interview with the Texans made it too difficult to do because the ‘9ers have a game on Sunday and walk thru’s tomorrow.

Flying 3-4 times within 48 hours prolly isn't recommended.

From Cali to Colorado to Texas back to Cali for walk thru’s on Saturday probably wasn't somethin he wanted to deal with during a playoff push.

End of the day tho…Payton prolly gonna end up in Denver.

In the Ryans case, I wouldn't put much thought into the Texans not being serious about him because it wasn't in person.

houston19519 and raining threes like this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Cal has probably asked every candidate, "How little money are you willing to work for?" Low man is hired!

Nook likes this.