1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone has a plan and....he is sticking to it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Do you believe that Stone's plan is being executed?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. Fantasma Negro

Even before the John Wall interview, Stone came off as a clown from that situation. This is upcoming offseason is his first real test, we'll see if his plan is worth a damn

jim1961, Dobbizzle and daywalker02 like this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/top-10-no-1-nba-draft-picks-won-championship-team-drafted

Here is a list of 10 # 1picks who have multiple rings. Many more than the Warriors and Giannis. Some # 1 picks turned into future dynasty leading players as well. I get it. You are insecure about adding a potential phenom because you believe it would take shine away from Sengun. Kind of like how the KPJ only fans don't want Scoot Henderson for the same reasons.. Wemby and Sengun would help each other on both ends. I don't have a "tanking mentality" . But I'm also not afraid to go for it if we end up with a top pick. Sengun will be fine either way. You can relax.

JusBleezy likes this.
  3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I have no idea what their plan is. Being the worst team in the league only nets a team a 14% chance at winning the #1 pick. So there is a whopping 86% that the 1st pick falls to someone other than the worst record in the league.

The only certainty is that the worst record in the league picks somewhere in the top 5 picks.

So, I wonder out loud, what are the Rockets seeing in practice that tells them that they are doing what is best for the team.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What I want, doesn't matter, neither does what you want or anyone else....they are going to go down swinging with their plan.

I would not be doing it this way.....but I will hope they are right.

DD

Zacatecas likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the benefits of getting Wemby, or Scoot are so clear vs. the alternatives that tanking is the correct option. If Stone believes that that cost-benefit of pushing KPJ as a point guard is the best way to balance tanking with development potential, then I see the logic. Nobody said that this would be easy. The Rockets still don't have that lead player. We have pieces, even very talented pieces. The team still need the hammer. Hopefully, it happens soon.
    I also think that Silas makes some rotation decisions that are so crazy (Dashien Nix, generally) that this is part of the Grand Tanking Movement.

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Memphis has been the lucky team getting young players that have all pan out. But Ja Morant is the real deal.

Judging by the other young teams with lack of experience, it seems that the younger teams are struggling.

Rockets have really no vets yet they put around this team. , and right nothing makes since for them rookie walls
    or team this young , and there out there starting 2nd year college sophomores. Teams like this get destroyed in the league.

For the lack of coaching or accountability. It could be the coach not getting to these players, but if the plan is to just tank and it's passed around the players to take it easy and gain development. Maybe there is no rush. Rockets might be in right direction soon , but right now there is no rush. They picking up young assets and developing there rotation at very young age. When the time is up which I think is this summer on Jalen, Segun.

There going to surround this team with some vets. Assuming they get Henderson. This team will make trades and sign vets around Green, Segun, Jabari and Henderson. 03-04 will be interesting. Yet the y may wait till summer of 04 to bring in there superstar, based on this next rookie pick development.

Overall how ever it pans out going to be interesting what org does in couple years or even this summer.

#26 Le$$, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Other young teams have a DUDE, and sometimes 2...OKC...we don't.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There will be consequences.

Stone moving on to his next lawyer or manager job won't blink an eye or shed a tear but the mess of a franchise will be what is left to the fans.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes

The young players want to win and you just can open up the facet a little bit and expect
    the players to turn it off. Too many wins would result.

I had them at 7 wins after the schedule from heck first 25 games.....27 and 30 after that.

Management put the kabash on that. They said the heck with 34 wins.

*Give Nix, TyTy minutes.
    *Eric Gordon low energy as starter slows things up and keeps things grounded vs Kenyon.
    *Anybody that gets hot gets pulled....might get back in with 6 minutes left and it's too late.
    *keep Sengun as the defensive anchor so that every team gets 65 to 75 points by halftime.
    *Let Mathews keep shooting and missing

Secure top 3 worst record and then open up the throttle like last season.

Media and nation accuses the Astros as the only team seeking an advantage......every
    team was stealing signs or had pitchers using spider tac or substances. Now all the
    MLB players need to be tested for steroids again.

The saying is, "if they ain't cheating or looking for an advantage, they ain't trying hard enough."

10. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Starting to realize you (@DaDakota) just love having a different opinion than what most agree upon. KPJ, Stone. Whatever it is, it’s a good bet your stance will be the opposite of consensus.

I have a cousin just like you.

11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Stat wise Jalen and Segun doing better than mobley and cade for sophomore rookies. Jabari 4th right under ivey in rookies. I think they have a big 3 here that will take 2- 3 years to really pan out. This whole team is just way to young. There running a development here.

xaos likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

Yes!!! I’m one of the few here that’s not panicking and angry 24/7. Everything is going as planned, but of course it hasn’t been perfect. Next year is supposed to be a way more competitive team. If we’re still bad like this then…. Well, I’ll probably flip ****

Corrosion and harold bingo like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Could be the revival of DD Talk.

Dada has a thread and he is sticking to it.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't be compared this season IMO.

Cade barely played and Mobley has taken a back seat to numerous players.

Green has the green light and Alperen has conquered a starting spot.

I agree though that they are better situated now.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Excellent analysis.

Exactly the same as the plays called by Silas.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good thing, we mad people have had time to digest and by next year we are prepared to cool off.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I believe DD is on the spectrum.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

IF THIS is the plan - then they are a buncha dumbasses!

After watching this franchise be enabled/manipulated by Blames Hard-on - this org was/is in desperate need of a cultural overhaul!
    Imo this is as much a necessity as acquiring talent!
    You CAN have accountability and ingrain good fundamentals while tanking...
    You do crap like... "tonight we're working on our passing... I want a min of 5 passes before the first shot..." is that gonna result in a lot of turnovers and prob cost us the game - yep... and our guys r gonna get tired of runnin back on those turnovers (if u actually held accountable for doing so...) - so passes should get tighter...
    "Tonight we're gonna work on feeding the paint... i want Garuba to go for 50+..." obviously Garuba aint gonna maximize = another loss... but guys still learn to feed the paint...

point is...

we can tank without looking totally inept... and without ingraining a bunch of poor tendencies among our young talent.

If THIS is the plan - its rather short sighted... imo

DaDakota likes this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

If you say so lol